samana whales

prjustin

Feb 26, 2009
I have tried to find an answer elsewhere but no luck, is the end of march early april impossible to see whales or does it fluctuate each year? Let me re phrase the question will they all be gone by the begginning of April?

caipiranha

Feb 15, 2008
Serious agencies normally stop their whale watching tours around the 15th of March.

Saludos ;)

toursamanawithterry

Jan 30, 2009
I believe Kim Beddal's website says that she has twice daily tours until the 20th of March. You can probably take a chance with a smaller tour company after that.

Berliner

Aug 9, 2007
The website of Kim is Whale Samana.
Last year she did tours until the end of the march.
I work with her on the boat and this season the whales arrived later so possibly stay longer but of course no guarantee on that.
We live in Las Galeras direct at the coast and can see the whales from our Restaurant. Even though last year we saw the last one mid april!, there were not much in the area in april, so more probably you will not see any after the end of march.
Today we saw a mother with a 4 week old baby and they might stay for some more weeks until the baby is strong enough to head north.
Good luck
El Cabito

caipiranha

Feb 15, 2008
I work with her on the boat and this season the whales arrived later so possibly stay longer but of course no guarantee on that.
We live in Las Galeras direct at the coast and can see the whales from our Restaurant. Even though last year we saw the last one mid april!, there were not much in the area in april, so more probably you will not see any after the end of march. El Cabito

Thanks for the info! I?ll arrive at LG at the end of March, perhaps I?ll be lucky to see some whales from El Cabito,too.
CU

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
WOW! Talk about inside information!! Good to know...

They are an awe inspiring sight!!

HB

rortiz79

Aug 8, 2008
I am going to see if I can go and check it out. Late March, wishing some are still around!!

Arrica

Jun 3, 2006
I'll let you know on predictions - I'll be there during the next couple of weeks.