Dominican Visa to Visit the United States

swanjoana

Mar 9, 2009
I am sure this have been covered in previous threads but I do not seem to see a search option.

I am wondering how difficult it would be to acquire a temporary visa for some family in Santiago to come to New York for 2 weeks.

I have 3 brothers (22yrs,18yrs,16yrs) and a sister 18 years old.
My mother is 40 years old.

All of my brothers are employed but only my sister can speak minimal English.

I am a college graduate currently employed at a Public Relations firm in Manhattan and have my own 3 bedroom apartment. My adoptive family also has a huge home on Long Island, NY to accommodate guests.

Please let me know how hard this will be (I'm sure very difficult, and a long process) I was just in DR in January and am going back in July. I visit my family twice a year but would love them to see New York.

Would it be easiest for my mother or oldest brother to come since both are employed? I am sure I won't be able to get them all to visit at the same time. I'm looking for my best bet.

Anyway, what are the major requirements? What is working against me? This is only for visitation, not permanent residency as their father and the rest of the family are all in Santiago.

Ezequiel

Bronze
Jun 4, 2008
I am sure this have been covered in previous threads but I do not seem to see a search option.

I am wondering how difficult it would be to acquire a temporary visa for some family in Santiago to come to New York for 2 weeks.

I have 3 brothers (22yrs,18yrs,16yrs) and a sister 18 years old.
My mother is 40 years old.

All of my brothers are employed but only my sister can speak minimal English.

I am a college graduate currently employed at a Public Relations firm in Manhattan and have my own 3 bedroom apartment. My adoptive family also has a huge home on Long Island, NY to accommodate guests.

Please let me know how hard this will be (I'm sure very difficult, and a long process) I was just in DR in January and am going back in July. I visit my family twice a year but would love them to see New York.

Would it be easiest for my mother or oldest brother to come since both are employed? I am sure I won't be able to get them all to visit at the same time. I'm looking for my best bet.

Anyway, what are the major requirements? What is working against me? This is only for visitation, not permanent residency as their father and the rest of the family are all in Santiago.

If your family members don't have a good job or a college degree it will be extremely diffucult for them to ge an U.S.A visa, they also need to have properties on their names.

If not they are going to loose their $130 dollars visa fee each.

swanjoana

Mar 9, 2009
Thanks for the quick response :)

My brother is an insurance broker so he does have a good job.

My sister is in college currently.

Properties in the US in their name or what?

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Property here...something that will tell the Consul that they will come back..

I am thinking that this will be long and frustrating for you, and it could be very expensive at $130 a pop. You might investigate at the INS office there in New York and see what they say.

It might be better to see if you can get them Resident's Visas or something?? I just do not know...gonna be tough..

HB

Ezequiel

Bronze
Jun 4, 2008
Thanks for the quick response :)

My brother is an insurance broker so he does have a good job.

My sister is in college currently.

Properties in the US in their name or what?

Like Hillbilly said in a previous post, property there in the DR, and still, sometime is about luck, i know people with money and property that the consul had denied them the tourist visa, and a lady that she is just a teacher in a public school who got her visa alone with her small son (her teenage daughter got denied).

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
It is not getting any easier either. I have a friend in Moca who owns his own house (RD4M), 2 cars and business (pawn shop) that was recently rejected for a visa.

swanjoana

Mar 9, 2009
oh my goodness this sounds nearly impossible

Maybe I should focus on trying to get my sister into a US college here first...then she would be on Student visa.

Has anyone had experience with that?

Both my mother and my brother own property in DR so I guess that's a start.

zelia1

Feb 2, 2009
well in your circumstances it will be very easy for your family to obtain visitor visas. because you dont have anything in the u.s. the consul looks for reasons that you will not return back to d.r . my wife works for the u.s department of state visa office.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
well in your circumstances it will be very easy for your family to obtain visitor visas. because you dont have anything in the u.s. the consul looks for reasons that you will not return back to d.r . my wife works for the u.s department of state visa office.

My friend from Moca also has nothing in US, I don't see how that helped him as he was rejected for a visitor's visa.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
oh my goodness this sounds nearly impossible

Maybe I should focus on trying to get my sister into a US college here first...then she would be on Student visa.

Has anyone had experience with that?

Both my mother and my brother own property in DR so I guess that's a start.

It's not impossible, but I reckon it's like a crap shoot, part luck.

Some types of student Visas (like work study) are easier to get even thought they are equally if not more so abused than other types of visas.

zelia1

Feb 2, 2009
d.r only get a certain amount of visas per year so you would know when to go apply and try then. for any type of other visa it would be hard in order for a student visa you have to show how your school in the u.s is already paid and the arrangements are. and for you cant give them residence because your not a u.s citizen. as a permentat resident you can call husband/ wife and children under 21 that are single otherwise you have to be a citizen of the u.s . i would call the u.s consul in santo domingo and ask when the physical year for visitors visa start so you have a idea when to apply

travel1000

Jan 31, 2007
most people donate their visa fee for american

the default decision is rejecting like insurance company process claim unless you understand the american logic of immigration law is every applicant is immigrant until prove otherwise. for proving you are not immigrant, there is no detail rule about it ( commom law tradition). it depend on visa officer's believe. Most people believe here owne property, good job, fat bank account, that will all help.but this is proved you have good connection with DR and people overlook that you should prove that you do not have any connection with US including visa applicant do not know anybody in US including you. I think for better chance to get visa, the applcant should not know anybody in US and packs himself as tourist like spending inculsive resort vacation in Florida. The consular officer will deny your application by default without even see your evidence unless you can make very good oral presentation in first 30 second