Is it just me

Status
Not open for further replies.

Norteman

Dec 15, 2008
Now i must first off mention that i have worked ,lived and visited many countries in latin america and know first hand the rules of what to watch out for. Is it just me or is this country over the top?? Now what i mean here, are most dominicans raised and encouraged to lie, steal and scam? and misuse the words like I am a cristian etc etc. while at the same time conspiring their next scam.
Now i hate to come off as a pessimist here as i know it is not at all encouraged on this site, but reality should also have its place. I gues after been lied and cheated, stolen from by everyone from taxi drivers, business professionals, apartment owners, mechanics, friends etc. etc. it seems nobody is immune from their craft. Does one really need to up there guard about ten notches beyond the average latin americqn country? I do have one dominican friend here so far that has yet to commit any of these acts yet he is the first to say no Dominicans can be trusted. What a shame such a beautiful countries people feel the need to scare off its top economic income driver(tourist) for the quick petty theft. Now i have started visiting the DR over 10 yeras ago and see where its going, the reputation of DR is going severly in the wrong direction and once all the convict haitians and dominicans serve their time in the USA and return home its going to be all out anarchy. Sorry for the negativity but the truth sometimes hurts.

Mar 2, 2008
Norteman,

You are not the first to make that, or similar, observations. Obviously, it's not 100% true, but sometimes it might seem that way. I've been ripped off, lied to, short changed, pressed for "loans, asked for regalos, deceived, betrayed, and treated to any number of other means of deception.

But when all is said and done, I still prefer the DR to any other country in Latin American (Central, South America, Mexico, or other Caribbean countries). While I have to be always vigilant and on guard, and careful about every transaction, there are plenty of good people here and a lot to like about this country.

In some ways, being constantly watchful can be a good thing. It helps to keep you alert and aware. Actually I kind of like the 'Wild West' feel of the place. At least for now, that atmosphere helps me stay atuned to my environment. In many ways it makes me feel young and alive.

I guess I will feel that way until the time comes when I'm not quite as quick as the next rip off artist, but until that time, I'll survive.

Norteman

Dec 15, 2008
Norteman,

You are not the first to make that, or similar, observations. Obviously, it's not 100% true, but sometimes it might seem that way. I've been ripped off, lied to, short changed, pressed for "loans, asked for regalos, deceived, betrayed, and treated to any number of other means of deception.

But when all is said and done, I still prefer the DR to any other country in Latin American (Central, South America, Mexico, or other Caribbean countries). While I have to be always vigilant and on guard, and careful about every transaction, there are plenty of good people here and a lot to like about this country.

In some ways, being constantly watchful can be a good thing. It helps to keep you alert and aware. Actually I kind of like the 'Wild West' feel of the place. At least for now, that atmosphere helps me stay atuned to my environment. In many ways it makes me feel young and alive.

I guess I will feel that way until the time comes when I'm not quite as quick as the next rip off artist, but until that time, I'll survive.

i guess i just had much better luck in other latin countries,but you present some good points

POP Bad Boy

Bronze
Jun 27, 2004
It is not 100%!

It's 99.9% and anyone that tells you otherwise is lying! :surprised:surprised:surprised

.........I even saw a spanish CARTOON on TV here where the father stole some money from the pocket of the grandmother, and the son stole it from the father's pocket and the DOG stole it from the son!!!!................

pedrochemical

Silver
Aug 22, 2008
Nope, it is not just you.

Keeps you on your toes though.
The essential thing is to have a nice safe place where you can retreat with your partner / your family / by yourself when you chose not hot have to deal with it.

Don't let the Bxstxrds grind you down.

liam1

Bronze
Jun 9, 2004
Sad but true! For example i knew if i ever asked a stranger or even a family friend for money my father would beat me so bad I'd need plastic surgery. It would be a great disrespect for him and the family that the kid asked someone else for money, but here such behavior is even encouraged by parents. So it starts from an early age. Most Dominicans you come in contact with have no self-respect, they don't try to be respected in the community, they don't even know the meaning of the word. My thing is the less contact with Dominicans, the better! Sad but true. You know it is just a matter of time before you hear some sad story of someone dying or some BS and you are THE ONLY person in the world who can save the day. BS, BS and more BS.

pauliebaby

Mar 6, 2009
all that you are saying i believe is soooo true!! i was in dr in february for 10 days, had a great time, but heard sob story after sob story from workers in the hotels, and locals on the street and beach!! believe me, i have a heart and i fell for a few of their BS storys, but does everyone have to be like that?
the country is definately going to loose tourists, there main income, if the locals and do not start gettting their acts together. basically, there just not raised properly and there culture is compeletly different then those who live in the US. and why do they think every american is filthy rich? i work 2 jobs and bust my but to go on vacation, and they think im gonna hand them money for doing nothing. i am an over tipper, for service, waiters, bartenders ect...but when they ask for money and beg and beg it gets old!!

i have storys as far as the begging and the hoaxing that will make heads turn, but all in all they just dont know any better!! sad but true. it starts at the top. if their parents dont care their not going to care, if the government doesnt care, their not going to care. it all starts at the top!!

Norteman

Dec 15, 2008
poor upbringing

Very true comments here, how sad it is that we need to avoid the nationals to really feel safe and enjoy this country. my dominican girlfriend constantly has her two older brothers, mother and father searching through her room and steal any money they can find. Only one brother even works while she is young and trying to get through university. She is one of the sweetest most honest person one could ever meet and goes to church twice a week with mom and sometimes dad, yet they steal from their youngest girl the minute her back is turned.I dont know where these people found their values or lack thereof, its appalling.The lack of integrity, morals etc start at ayoung age from irresponsible parents. My disclaimer here of course not all DR parents are guilty of this, yet as the OP says above 99.9% is close to correct.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
I wonder if that is predominantly the experience on the North Coast or rather in the tourist areas? I have been living here for 4 years and have only had one case of someone who was trying to scam me. I am not trying to run a business here so perhaps that helps.

But I wonder if the people who are living in the coastal communities which came up as foreign enclaves are dealing with Dominicans who themselves have learned certain techniques of how to deal with foreigners? I am sure that must be a lot of resentment about the "foreign" people who have come in - lots of them with not such great intentions or attitudes, lots of them illegally working, lots of them not treating the locals with a great deal of respect, lots of them not contributing much to the community.

I travel about the country quite regularly on my own. I have been in many small towns inland and on the border and have only been treated with great respect.
Sure, there was a guy on the street who scammed me out of some money when he was changing it but I had been warned that this was illegal. Sure my landlady tried to get me to sign a lease in which I would have been responsible for the taxes - but the real estate agent who had never seen me before agreed to be my fiador - so that cancelled that one out. And landladies - well - they are always tough!

I wonder about all this when I hear it. I meet plenty of Dominicans in my line of work (reporting) and no one has ever lied or cheated or tried to hustle me. Of course I was raised in NYC - so perhaps I am bit more savvy about a hustle than most.

But it makes me sad to read these posts. The Dominicans whom I am meeting are wonderful people. I am sorry that you are having such a bad time of it.

pauliebaby

Mar 6, 2009
im from ny too, just north on the bronx, so i know a thing or two about scaming and what to look for. but when a hotel employee puts on a fake crying act about him getting kicked out of his apt for not having the rent money, and i give him a 20 in american money, and he asks for moreeee, i know something is up. ok. now a half hour later i see him dancing with an ipod on right outside of my hotel window, with a smile on his face, i think to myself, i got scammed. all in all i guess i did but didnt get scammed because it was just an advance on his tip for helping throughout the week. this is one of the many storys i have..........should i go on????

b.batista

Feb 21, 2008
They are blind

Nice reply Mz. Mountainannie. They do not understand that they are talking about tourist town street people of any nationality anywhere in the world. They do not know Dominicans at all and what is worse is that they support each other in their incorrect views. Do these people move here and only stay in the tourist towns? Don't they go and meet the normal people in the rest of the country? I thought they were educated people from America and Europe and that they would have more sense than that. It is their loss that they will never get to know the Dominican people and their culture.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
Nope I got your point on that one!

im from ny too, just north on the bronx, so i know a thing or two about scaming and what to look for. but when a hotel employee puts on a fake crying act about him getting kicked out of his apt for not having the rent money, and i give him a 20 in american money, and he asks for moreeee, i know something is up. ok. now a half hour later i see him dancing with an ipod on right outside of my hotel window, with a smile on his face, i think to myself, i got scammed. all in all i guess i did but didnt get scammed because it was just an advance on his tip for helping throughout the week. this is one of the many storys i have..........should i go on????

I think you ought to report him to the management of the hotel - BUT since a whole lot of hotel workers seem to be running MUCH bigger scams (See Sankie forum) - the $20 is probably cheap. You are right that that is really irritating - and there is another thread here on giving money to beggars and HOW WE SHOULD NOT DO IT - because - well - if begging is a lucrative job, why work?

Perhaps the hotel workers are used to more European clientele who do not tip? Perhaps they do not know that good service is rewarded in the States? Perhaps they do not actually know what good service is?

I have heard stories like this from Jamaica - from people who will never go back there because of the hostile begging --- so if this is going in the resorts, then it should be brought to the management's attention.

What would you have done if it had happened in the States? The guy certainly would have lost his job if the management ever found out.

pedrochemical

Silver
Aug 22, 2008
If you actively engage people you can choose the people with whom you engage.

If, as a gringo, you wait to be approached in D.R., the people you tend to meet are not the type you would choose to meet.

Getting involved in life and not avoiding the locals has its advantages.
Of course if you stick out too much - you get chopped down.

Can somebody please start sticking up for Dominicans on this thread, please.
I can't do it convincingly - hence the wishy-washy post..:ninja:

pauliebaby

Mar 6, 2009
its a crazy world!!! do you have any advice on the north coast, sicne you travel often over there. i hear sousa is good, is it better then boca chica. im not really looking for the all inclusive thing. i want a nice safe place on the beach, with walking distance to bars/clubs and well of course the ladies!! lol

Norteman

Dec 15, 2008
all that you are saying i believe is soooo true!! i was in dr in february for 10 days, had a great time, but heard sob story after sob story from workers in the hotels, and locals on the street and beach!! believe me, i have a heart and i fell for a few of their BS storys, but does everyone have to be like that?
the country is definately going to loose tourists, there main income, if the locals and do not start gettting their acts together. basically, there just not raised properly and there culture is compeletly different then those who live in the US. and why do they think every american is filthy rich? i work 2 jobs and bust my but to go on vacation, and they think im gonna hand them money for doing nothing. i am an over tipper, for service, waiters, bartenders ect...but when they ask for money and beg and beg it gets old!!

i have storys as far as the begging and the hoaxing that will make heads turn, but all in all they just dont know any better!! sad but true. it starts at the top. if their parents dont care their not going to care, if the government doesnt care, their not going to care. it all starts at the top!!

well put, in many cases the authorities are in on the scams with the ladrons, everyone knows the rep DRs have and no one cares.The short sighted visions many latinos have is taken to whole new low here. i guess the tourism aspect is completed disregarded by the real number economic driver to DR, and it starts with the same first two letters, anyone? DR%#@

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
You are not going to get it in one place

its a crazy world!!! do you have any advice on the north coast, sicne you travel often over there. i hear sousa is good, is it better then boca chica. im not really looking for the all inclusive thing. i want a nice safe place on the beach, with walking distance to bars/clubs and well of course the ladies!! lol

The places where the "ladies" who are available for tourists, the bars and the clubs which you all frequent with these "ladies" are exactly what makes the areas not safe.

The safe beaches have little colmados with locals and their daughters are not for sale. And I, for one, ain't gonna tell ya of any that I know of!

AK74

On Vacation!
Jun 18, 2007
Now i must first off mention that i have worked ,lived and visited many countries in latin america and know first hand the rules of what to watch out for. Is it just me or is this country over the top?? Now what i mean here, are most dominicans raised and encouraged to lie, steal and scam? and misuse the words like I am a cristian etc etc. while at the same time conspiring their next scam..

Not true.
You got too much Brugal!

I never ever saw honester people than my bretheren-dominicans, especially dominican lawyers and RE agents. I said - "NEVER"!

Dominican lieing or stealing from a Senor Gringo or a Senor Tourist??!! Are you kidding?!

Never!! OMG!

:chinese:

b.batista

Feb 21, 2008
Not true.

You got too much Brugal!

I never ever saw honester people than my bretheren-dominicans, especially dominican lawyers and RE agents. I said - "NEVER"!

Dominican lieing or stealing from a Senor Gringo or a Senor Tourist??!! Are you kidding?!

Never!! OMG!
I am getting tired of you insulting my people. You dare to belittle my people while you hide behind your computer. I challenge you to come and meet me and my friends so that you can repeat your words. If you are not a yellow coward like I think you are you will tell us your name and give us your phone number so that we can arrange the meeting.

Status
Not open for further replies.