The Dreamers and the Schemers

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
Very good in depth article about the scouting of Dominican baseball players. Sometimes the almighty $$$$ trumps ethics.

It is barely mentioned that before he left this country, Tejada lied about his age -- by two years -- so that he would be more attractive to major league scouts. By the time his transgression was exposed last year, he had played 11 full seasons in the majors, won the 2002 American League MVP award and earned upwards of $50 million. The reaction here? No big deal.
"I don't feel that bad about it," Brea said, sitting in Tejada's home town. "We are all Dominican. We all know where we come from. We got to do what we got to do."

The System of Finding Future Baseball Stars in the Dominican Republic Is Full of Young Players and Ambitious Street Agents - washingtonpost.com

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
Bud Selig or MLB has no legal standing in the DR. so what's he cracking down on ? he can't do anything until they hit US soil. and by then the damage has been done..

Hooty Hoo !!!!

Reactions: Berzin

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
Bud Selig or MLB has no legal standing in the DR. so what's he cracking down on ? he can't do anything until they hit US soil. and by then the damage has been done.

I agree, but it is MLB that wields the mighty US Dollar when it comes to signing these players.

It is THEIR(MLB's) money after all, and they seem to be showing some concern over how it is parceled out.

Cleef

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
held at the border

Bud Selig or MLB has no legal standing in the DR. so what's he cracking down on ? he can't do anything until they hit US soil. and by then the damage has been done..

Hooty Hoo !!!!
Selig's repertoire is a US border, and the MLB offices in SD.

If they don't sign off on a player's work permit, they don't get to leave the country.

Legal shmegal.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Talking to my brother who is working hard to get drafted (left handed pitcher currently throwing around 89 miles/hr if anyone is interested) he says that because of the heat brought on by these high profile cases everybody is getting legal because the scouts and buscones don't want to lose the connection they have with the clubs. They could be banned from doing business with them if they find stuff like this, just like the Basilio guy is now blacklisted...

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Talking to my brother who is working hard to get drafted (left handed pitcher currently throwing around 89 miles/hr if anyone is interested) he says that because of the heat brought on by these high profile cases everybody is getting legal because the scouts and buscones don't want to lose the connection they have with the clubs. They could be banned from doing business with them if they find stuff like this, just like the Basilio guy is now blacklisted...

There is a private American scout by the name of Dominic (I think??) who works out in the gym in Santiago. Don't call him a buscon though :) but if you ask for him in Spanish that is probably the word one would use.