Airport exit taxes - how much?

cabaretechica

Jul 25, 2008
Hola everyone. Sorry if this has been asked somewhere else, but a search didn't yield results to my query.

I understand that the exit taxes for visitors to the DR changed recently. I am looking for the information that's posted on the wall in the Migration office at the POP airport where they haul you into to pay the additional departure tax if you are in the country past a certain number of days.

I know people who had to pay well over $1,000 DOP recently because they were in the DR past 30 days. For the life of me, I can't find these regulations anywhere on the web.

How many days does that $20 departure tax that's already included in our airfare cover? We fly via WestJet or Air Canada to POP.

They said they were shown a chart on a wall in that office with the numbers of days and the amount of additional tax to be paid to exit the country, this in addition to the $20 departure tax that was already included in their airfare.

I want to see a copy of those regulations and print them out so it doesn't happen to me. I have no idea how many days one is allowed to be in the DR without paying additional departure tax. I don't usually stay past 30 days, but some day might be. I want to be prepared and ensure it's not a scam.

Any help you can provide would be great, esp. a link to the relevant DR government web site where this information is posted.

Muchas gracias!

bill p

Aug 18, 2003
i left santo domingo after being there for 31 days and they told me to pay 800 pesos or 25$. so i paid the 800 pesos, but my friend was with me and he was there for 35 days and they said nothing to him.

cabaretechica

Jul 25, 2008
OK, just to make sure that I understand completely.

Effective March 2, 2009, the entrance tax is $15 US, a $5 increase. The $15 is for your tourist card, which allows you to be in the DR for less than 30 days.

According to the Direccion General de Migracion web site, if you are in the DR between 30 days and up to 3 months, each person must pay a fine (tariff) of RD $800.

Three to nine months - RD $1,000...

These tarifas are *in addition* to the $20 US departure tax that many of us already have paid and are included in our airfares. There are rumors that this departure tax will also increase some time this year, but I haven't been able to find out when or by how much. For now, I understand that the departure tax is still $20 US.

Thanks for the Tarifas link, krwilson.

LuvtheDR

Apr 4, 2004
The departure tax and the overstay are 2 TOTALLY different things!!

$20 is paid to leave...regardless if that is after 1 day or 101 days. Most people don't even notice that they are paying it because it is included in their ticket price. It is usually the charters that require you to pay the $20 departure tax at the airport when you leave - but now even most of them have changed their policy to include that in the ticket price. Be sure to ask your airline what their policy is.

The overstay is A FINE for overstaying the length of your Tourist Card. I am not sure what that time limit is at the moment - either 15 or 30 days. I have my residency, so I do not have to worry about that.

cabaretechica

Jul 25, 2008
Yes, the Departure Tax has to be paid, regardless of how long you've been in the country. It currently stands at $20 US, according to the Direccion General de Migracion web site.

I just want to confirm that it is true that the $15 Tourist Card (which was raised by $5 effective March 2, 2009) only covers you from being in the country between 1-29 days.

After 29 days, the Fine/Tariff is also applied:
:: Tarifas

There is still confusion out there about these different fees and how much money travelers should have on hand to pay them, especially upon departure at airports, so before I distribute the info. to family and friends, want to ensure I have my facts correct. Even people who live in the DR year 'round have given me incorrect info.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
There is still confusion out there about these different fees and how much money travelers should have on hand to pay them, especially upon departure at airports, so before I distribute the info. to family and friends, want to ensure I have my facts correct. Even people who live in the DR year 'round have given me incorrect info.

Are you still confused, the fees were laid out pretty clear in the post #5?

What are you confused about?

Post in the Sanky forum if you just have the need to post and say nothing, much like my post here.

tambo'

Reactions: Celt202

LuvtheDR

Apr 4, 2004
Dios Mio

De 30 d?as a 3 meses - RD $800.00

De 3 meses a 9 meses - RD $1,000.00

De 9 meses a 1 a?o - RD $2,500.00

De 1 a?o a 1 a?o y 6 meses - RD $4,000.00

De 1 a?o y 6 meses a 2 a?os - RD $5,000.00

De 2 a?os a 2 a?os y 6 meses - RD $6,500.00

De 2 a?os y 6 meses a 3 a?os - RD $9,000.00

De 3 a?os a 5 a?os - RD $14,000.00

De 5 a?os en adelante - RD $17,000.00

This is the copy/paste of the same page you were looking at. I can't for the life of me figure out where the confusion is!

I know I said in my last post that I wasn't sure how long the tourist card was good for now - but it is clear from that page that it is 30 days......

That being said....any amount of time spent in the country AFTER the 30 days would require you to pay the appropriate amount in overstay.

Reactions: Celt202

cabaretechica

Jul 25, 2008
Gracias. It was simply the number of days covered under the $15 Tourist Card I was trying to confirm. BTW, some of the previous incorrect info. I have received was from some folks on this forum.

tambo' - if you have nothing nice to say, then perhaps you shouldn't say anything at all! Perhaps the Sanky forum was started just for you!

Regardless, appreciate the info. to all who don't have attitude problems.

La Mariposa

Bronze
Jun 4, 2004
The departure tax and the overstay are 2 TOTALLY different things!!

$20 is paid to leave...regardless if that is after 1 day or 101 days. Most people don't even notice that they are paying it because it is included in their ticket price. It is usually the charters that require you to pay the $20 departure tax at the airport when you leave - but now even most of them have changed their policy to include that in the ticket price. Be sure to ask your airline what their policy is.

The overstay is A FINE for overstaying the length of your Tourist Card. I am not sure what that time limit is at the moment - either 15 or 30 days. I have my residency, so I do not have to worry about that.

It's not a FINE. If you want to stay in the D.R. more than 30 days, you have to ask for a pr?rroga of your tourist card. That is why there is a tarifa. Since in the D.R. la ley no se cumple, lots of people don't ask for a pr?rroga and pay when leaving the D.R.

LuvtheDR

Apr 4, 2004
It's not a FINE. If you want to stay in the D.R. more than 30 days, you have to ask for a pr?rroga of your tourist card. That is why there is a tarifa. Since in the D.R. la ley no se cumple, lots of people don't ask for a pr?rroga and pay when leaving the D.R.

You may be correct.....but I think if that information was given here...it would have made the OP's head spin! I'm just sayin' ;)

cabaretechica

Jul 25, 2008
Aha - muchas gracias, La Mariposa! That clears up the various incorrect/misleading information that I have been told recently.

I was in the DR recently for 31 days and paid no tarifa, even though I wrote 31 on both customs forms. Next time, I'll be sure to have the extra pesos on hand when departing, just in case.

Have a nice evening.

DOMINCAN JOE

Bronze
Aug 15, 2006
Gracias. tambo'

you allways have something nice to say,

Sorry tambo i notice you have
: 3,319 Posts five yellow boxs and a green one
Any help you can provide would be great,
Muchas gracias!
donaldduck.gif
donaldduck.gif
donaldduck.gif
donaldduck.gif
donaldduck.gif
5 boxs 5 ducks lol

La Mariposa

Bronze
Jun 4, 2004
Aha - muchas gracias, La Mariposa! That clears up the various incorrect/misleading information that I have been told recently.

I was in the DR recently for 31 days and paid no tarifa, even though I wrote 31 on both customs forms. Next time, I'll be sure to have the extra pesos on hand when departing, just in case.

Have a nice evening.

Don't let the immigration agent :eek:gre:see you extra pesos though. You know why, don't you??:ermm:

sawsky

Jan 12, 2007
we were there for 6 weeks and payed nothing, flying out of santo domingo, got back march 12th

SatinPeach

Feb 18, 2008
De 30 d?as a 3 meses - RD $800.00

De 3 meses a 9 meses - RD $1,000.00

De 9 meses a 1 a?o - RD $2,500.00

De 1 a?o a 1 a?o y 6 meses - RD $4,000.00

De 1 a?o y 6 meses a 2 a?os - RD $5,000.00

De 2 a?os a 2 a?os y 6 meses - RD $6,500.00

De 2 a?os y 6 meses a 3 a?os - RD $9,000.00

De 3 a?os a 5 a?os - RD $14,000.00

De 5 a?os en adelante - RD $17,000.00

This is the copy/paste of the same page you were looking at. I can't for the life of me figure out where the confusion is!

I know I said in my last post that I wasn't sure how long the tourist card was good for now - but it is clear from that page that it is 30 days......

That being said....any amount of time spent in the country AFTER the 30 days would require you to pay the appropriate amount in overstay.

Thank you for posting that. I have tried to get to the link posted ::Tarrifs and no way will it come up. I hope these fees are still current :) Anyhow thanks again. We are here for 6 months so? Come April 29 2010 we will exist with the right amount. :)