Good safe inexpensive hotel Las Terranas??

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
My husband and I are in Santo Domingo for a couple of weeks, and want to drive up to Las Terranas area Tuesday and stay overnight someplace clean and safe but not too expensive - we're not checking out of our hotel in the capital and don't want to spend a fortune since we're still paying for that. Any suggestions would be appreciated. All we require is AC and hot water and a clean place. Thanks!

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Los Pinos in Las Terranas

We took the new highway - and then made the mistake of taking the mountain road to Las Terranas. Lordy, I almost had heart failure up there. Around one of the hairpin turns we saw about 20 people peering down into the abyss off the road - a car had driven off. [we learned later that the guy driving only hurt one of his fingers, unbelievable!! - but they still couldn't get the car out]. We stumbled upon a residencia called Los Pinos, owned by an Italian guy who speaks more Italian than Spanish. Nice big room across from the beach, 2 beds, hot water, a/c, nice balcony, free wifi, for $50. We had a wonderful dinner there too - amazing food. The restaurant doesn't serve until 7:30 p.m. Would definitely recommend.
We found out there was another way back, following the coast to Samana, so we did that. I couldn't have stood another rollercoaster ride on that mountain. Someone told us they're building a road that will take you directly to LT at ground level - I wonder how many years THAT will take.

The new hwy is amazing - those miles of Palm trees intrigued me - anyone know why or who planted them???

Juniper

Apr 15, 2004
Palm oil is an edible plant oil derived from the fruit and kernels (seeds) of the Arecaceae Elaeis oil palm.

The oil is widely used as a cooking oil, as an ingredient in margarine, and is a component of many processed foods. It is also an important component of many soaps, washing powders and personal care products, is used to treat wounds, and also controversially as a feedstock for biofuel.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Miles of Palm Trees

They were spectacular to see, and so painstakingly planted that they were at perfect angles no matter which direction you looked. I took some photos but have no idea how to post them here. They went on for what seemed like several miles.

The road is beautiful and not many cars - probably due to the tolls, which were about $10/US each way. I heard a lot of the locals still go the old way along the north coast [coming from SD] even though it takes hours longer, because of the tolls. But what does that cost them in additional gas [and aggravation]

toursamanawithterry

Jan 30, 2009
I have always said that there are people here that would swim across the Samana Bay to save 5 pesos. That having been said there are people who have propane powered cars that only cost them 50 pesos a gallon. If its a small car it get 25 miles to the gallon. Its roughly 210 miles one way so that costs them 420 pesos in propane. The tolls alone cost 346 pesos on the new highway. So in the end they are saving maybe 200 pesos round trip. I know, its ridiculous but that's the way it goes here.

RonS

Bronze
Oct 18, 2004
Check the Kari Beach. It meets your requirements andd is not very expensive. It's also directly across from an awesome beach. You'll end up staying longer.

ooops - it appears I'm late, :tired:

My husband and I are in Santo Domingo for a couple of weeks, and want to drive up to Las Terranas area Tuesday and stay overnight someplace clean and safe but not too expensive - we're not checking out of our hotel in the capital and don't want to spend a fortune since we're still paying for that. Any suggestions would be appreciated. All we require is AC and hot water and a clean place. Thanks!

Thandie

Bronze
Nov 27, 2007
We took the new highway - and then made the mistake of taking the mountain road to Las Terranas. Lordy, I almost had heart failure up there. Around one of the hairpin turns we saw about 20 people peering down into the abyss off the road - a car had driven off. [we learned later that the guy driving only hurt one of his fingers, unbelievable!! - but they still couldn't get the car out].

Yes I saw that as I was returning to POP on a Gua Gua.
It happened the night before. Unbelieveable. It is hard to believe no one died driving off the side of that big mountain. Truly a miracle! I heard it was a gua gua with 7 people and no one died. But when I returned to POP my friend said 7 people died. So not sure which info is accurate.

Las Terranas is beautiful btw, great town. Went to Salto de Limon on horseback and stayed at Fata Morgana as recommended by DR1. Thanks for making that Youtube video guys!
Wish I could have stayed longer.
When I get some free time I will write a trip report on some areas I have visited in the DR over the past year.

Mason3000

Aug 2, 2008
We took the new highway - and then made the mistake of taking the mountain road to Las Terranas. Lordy, I almost had heart failure up there. Around one of the hairpin turns we saw about 20 people peering down into the abyss off the road - a car had driven off. [we learned later that the guy driving only hurt one of his fingers, unbelievable!! - but they still couldn't get the car out]. We stumbled upon a residencia called Los Pinos, owned by an Italian guy who speaks more Italian than Spanish. Nice big room across from the beach, 2 beds, hot water, a/c, nice balcony, free wifi, for $50. We had a wonderful dinner there too - amazing food. The restaurant doesn't serve until 7:30 p.m. Would definitely recommend.
We found out there was another way back, following the coast to Samana, so we did that. I couldn't have stood another rollercoaster ride on that mountain. Someone told us they're building a road that will take you directly to LT at ground level - I wonder how many years THAT will take.

The new hwy is amazing - those miles of Palm trees intrigued me - anyone know why or who planted them???

I'm with you, Los Pinos has always been good to me. I just stayed there again last night and it was a good deal. Quiet, safe, right on the beach and the owner Pietro seems to be a good cat.