Why must we always be lumped together?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mujermaravilla

Jun 15, 2006
Why must we always be lumped together?

Yesterday I had some time to kill so I went into Barns and Noble.
I went to the travel section to look at some DR travel guides. There I found the Fodor?s Guide to Dominican Republic. On the cover there was a beautiful HAITIAN girl. I know what many will say?. You don?t know this girl she may be Dominican or this photo could have been taken in Dominican Republic. It COULD have been taken in Dominican Republic for sure but this girl is not Dominican. And even if she was born in DR her parents are not Dominican.

I am really bothered by the perception that it?s all good. DR/ Haiti its all the same thing. Now before I get called all kinds of names and people start assuming things let me tell you that I am equally bothered when I see advertisement featuring very light/white Dominicans.

Why can?t we see more traditional Dominican look. For example, me, or someone like that model Arlenis Sosa, or Zoe Saldana, or even Kat Deluna, or celines toribio.

May 31, 2005
How can you tell that she was Haitian from just the picture? Pardon me but I have not met many haitian people to be able to tell the difference between a Haitian or a black Dominican.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i don't understand. essentially all dominicans are... how to put it gently... of mixed origin. that is with little - in any - blood of the first inhabitants of this island. as such, dominicans come in many different colours. miesposo, for instance is white, so much that he can easily pass for native european. his great grandmother thou was as dark as it gets. what's the big deal?

Status
Not open for further replies.