Insurance for new permanent residents to Ontario, Canada

SJSantos

Oct 9, 2006
Hi all,

Just wanted to give you a heads up as I see there is quite a few people being granted Visa's and/or about to get their Visa's in the next couple of months.

In Ontario, you do not get a health card until you have been in the province for 90 days. Therefor it's a great idea to get health insurance for your spouse and for my case, child. It's peace of mind that I have this. I know how fast life and health can change without planning it and it's great to be prepared.

I got a policy from Manual life- 1-800-cover-me. They have different policy's. I got the $50, 000 policy for $213.00. (that's my personal choice) for our daughter. I had to pay this with a credit card.

The Visa process is an expensive one...from trips back and forth, airfare, phone bills etc. I just wanted you to keep in mind just another expense, but one that could keep you from filing bankruptsy if someone falls ill, that you are covered.

Salud,
Sandy

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Thanks for the info Santos.

Every province is different so check to see what the rules are in your province so as Sandy says, you are covered in case of medical emergencies.