Compare luxury developments Cap or Punta Cana, Casa de Campo and Sea Horse Ranch.

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
Cap Cana, Punta Cana, Casa de Campo, Sea Horse Ranch, how do they compare?
We've discussed some of the aspects of, mainly the community fees at Sea Horse Ranch (North Coast).
So let's discuss how the other luxury developments compare, if you will.

... J-D.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Cap Cana is luxurious beyond compare.
Punta Cana is a class operation, truly well thought out by really intelligent people.

Both are different from Casa de Campo and Sea Horse Ranch.

If Sea Horse had a golf course or two, it might be in the league of Casa de Campo. Now, it isn't close.

The latter two have single family (huge) homes with lots of amenities. However, without golf, the Marina and other attractions, did I mention golf??, Sea Horse is just a beautiful place to rest or live far from the real world. Casa De Campo is luxury living at its finest.

I have to say that I like Casa and Punta Cana the best, but there are places in Cap Cana that are to die for....but the cost is prohibitive..

my 2?....

HB

Reactions: J D Sauser

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
Thanks Hillbilly.

I've driven thru Casa de Campo several times. There are indeed some super luxurious sub sections. Other parts are real nice but not all that ostentatious. The development is huge... then La Romana is not. Incidentally, some homes in general seem to be offered at a slighly lower price than the average found within Sea Horse Ranch. On the other hand, there are some homes into the 7 figures at Casa de Campo.

I've passed by Punta Cana once, but did not enter.
I will some day.

Do any have ideas about the community fees for a villa within these developments?

Thanks! ... J-D.

ddoran

Apr 23, 2006
not sure either

Hi HB,

just back from seeing SHR with jennifer and liked it very much but lacks a real golf course and beautiful beach hacienda el choco and panorama were also very nice

saw cap cana for second time in novemeber and it is still a beautiful ghost town..almost lifeless for now as it is a vacation resort area, not sure if it will ever have real life to it

while staying at tortuga bay hotel, visited several of the palaces inside the punta cana resort development..very big and not any life...trophy mansions

took family to see casa de campo 2 years ago but kids thought the million dollar plus homes were worth much less due to poor construction

will return to east coast in november to look again at casa de c which i like since it is nearer the capitol and has a real city next door with a basebal stadium where i can see the aguilas first visited casa de campo in 1979..yikes getting pretty old now

so i am totaly confused as tho where to buy..not just as investment but a place to enjoy for 3 to 4 monthd of the year

I still prefer moncion but need a beach

any better opinion would be appreciated

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
Hi HB,

just back from seeing SHR with jennifer and liked it very much but lacks a real golf course and beautiful beach hacienda el choco and panorama were also very nice

saw cap cana for second time in novemeber and it is still a beautiful ghost town..almost lifeless for now as it is a vacation resort area, not sure if it will ever have real life to it

while staying at tortuga bay hotel, visited several of the palaces inside the punta cana resort development..very big and not any life...trophy mansions

took family to see casa de campo 2 years ago but kids thought the million dollar plus homes were worth much less due to poor construction

will return to east coast in november to look again at casa de c which i like since it is nearer the capitol and has a real city next door with a basebal stadium where i can see the aguilas first visited casa de campo in 1979..yikes getting pretty old now

so i am totaly confused as tho where to buy..not just as investment but a place to enjoy for 3 to 4 monthd of the year

I still prefer moncion but need a beach

any better opinion would be appreciated

I think the proximity of some city is essential to a development if it is not to become a "Trophy town" (to paraphrase you a little).
Really the lack of that, is what would have me worried with both Punta Cana and Cap Cana. Unless ones goal only is to dump some money into an off shore beach location.

SHR, is somewhat close to Puerto Plata. However it's proximity to Sosua, which public wise is mostly in sharp contrast to the people one would expect in that development does not flatter that location, IHMO. Maybe one more reason, they prefer to seem themselves as part of Cabarete.

Also SHR, lacks some life. There are apparently only few permanent residents and total occupance seems to average around 25%.

I seem to understand that there are far more people actually LIVING in Casa de Campo, locals too (?). But then numbers can distort the image as CDC is quite large... so, percentages my not be so different? I don't know (yet).

Thanks for the contributions so far!

Any input on maintenance fees?

... J-D.

twhitehead

Bronze
Nov 1, 2003
Big knock on Sea Horse is NO GOLF COURSE!!!. Come on Sea Horse - build your golf course!!! All of the other 3 from my experiences seem to be more tourist destinations than places to live. May also want to check out Metro (here you see people living - golf is not bad), Estancia (wicked golf) and the new Roco Ki (Ocean front homesites look great but you will need lots of money for golf balls on their golf course). Tom

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Another option might be Metro Country Club in Juan Dolio. Gated, golf course (no idea how good as don't play), several nice houses from around 450,000 us$ up. Pretty well occupied by ex pats, Dominican businessmen who work in the capital, and baseball players. 5 minutes from the beach at Juan Dolio, 25 mins to Las Americas airport and 45 to the capital. Maintenance fees (original question!!) in the region of 10,000 rd$ a month methinks.

Matilda

donP

Dec 14, 2008

Castellamonte

Bronze
Mar 3, 2005
Cabrera
www.villa-castellamonte.com
Cap Cana, Punta Cana, Casa de Campo, Sea Horse Ranch, how do they compare?
We've discussed some of the aspects of, mainly the community fees at Sea Horse Ranch (North Coast).
So let's discuss how the other luxury developments compare, if you will.

... J-D.

Alas, you haven't mentioned Orchid Bay Estates or Seatree Estates in Cabrera. So you might ask, where are they? Cabrera and Abreu respectively on the north coast.

Orchid Bay - stunning homes, larger by far than most (average 10,000 sq ft), not too many, three beaches, nearby Playa Grande Golf Course and 6 other beaches.

Seatree Estates - one home, many more planned, magnificent landscaping (best I've seen on the island), smallish overall, no beach, near Playa Grande Golf Course and 6 other beaches.

Why the north coast? How about we don't get hurricanes...at all...compared to Casa de Campo, Cap Cana, Punta Cana or most of the rest of the Caribbean. Remote? Sure. Pristine and unspoiled, you bet!

aross

Nov 15, 2007
Seatree Estates - one home, many more planned, magnificent landscaping (best I've seen on the island), smallish overall, no beach, near Playa Grande Golf Course and 6 other beaches.

Here are a couple of pics of a few Lots in SeaTree Estates just to prove Castellamonte's statement about the best landscaping of lots on the island.

TresAguas21.jpg

TresAguas22.jpg

PuntodelaGarza67.jpg

PuntodelaGarza65.jpg

SeaTreeBeachClub.jpg

Ver-A-Mar31.jpg

SwallowsPoint91.jpg

Bye the way, I do not have an ownership interest in these lots

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
That sure does look real pretty, Aross.
The issue is, that this island had and still offers so many dream locations which seemingly easily could be turned into an appealing development for dream homes.
Sadly, when we look around we find many awful reminders which tell us that dream locations here, much more easily tend to turn into failures, mostly because of lack of organization, vision and a realistic financial and "urbanistic" plan or a combination of these and other shortfalls.

In other words, we have to rely on historical evidence of solidity and continuity in order to be able to judge and place our bets.

Now, this is in no way meant to discredit newer developments like I believe Sea Tree Estates is. And I am always interested to get to know other and new ones.

Anyway, in order to come clean about this subject, let me disclose this. I have visited Casa de Campo, which currently is somewhat plagued with crime issues, and also Sea Horse Ranch. I am not a golfer, so I don't mind the "missing" golf at SHR. However my interest is not directly as a buyer or builder. I still own a luxury property abroad and am actively looking into exchanging it, property for property with a home of equal standing here in the DR. Selling properties like these has become tough on both side of the ocean. But I need to find something within a location which historically can promise continuity so that I still have something of value when markets pick up again in a few years.

... J-D.

Castellamonte

Bronze
Mar 3, 2005
Cabrera
www.villa-castellamonte.com
That sure does look real pretty, Aross.
The issue is, that this island had and still offers so many dream locations which seemingly easily could be turned into an appealing development for dream homes.
<snip>

Now, this is in no way meant to discredit newer developments like I believe Sea Tree Estates is. And I am always interested to get to know other and new ones.

Just so everyone knows, the creative minds behind Seatree Estates include one of the original founders of Sea Horse Ranch. That lady has a track record a mile long for delivering. No issues there.

And I am in no way affiliated with Seatree Estates. Not even real fond of the aforementioned people for non-business reasons. But they do have a wonderful place and I have complete confidence they will complete it.

Last edited:

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com

aross

Nov 15, 2007
How about this one in Seahorse Ranch? This is the press release, I haven't put the website so as not to break spam rules (& no, the property isn't mine! ;) )
Magnificent Island Estate in the Dominican Republic to Be Sold at Auction on January 19th - Yahoo! Finance

It is here too http://www.dominicantoday.com/dr/th...-the-Dominican-Republic-to-be-sold-at-auction

and here Welcome to Sheldon Good & Company

I have no monetary or other interest in the house or the auction