Drivers Beware!

E

ehnony

The following is an English translation with amounts coverted from RD pesos to US dollars as published in the Listin Diario
on November 4th, 2000. The amounts are minimum and maximum fines.

Was this desigened to discourage driving infractions?

ESTABLISHED FINES FOR FREQUENT INFRACTIONS (in US$)

Driving timidly $US 3 to 12
Driving without plates $6 to 30
No insurance $3 to 6
Damage to property $3 to 6
No driver's license $3 to 6
No helmet (motorcycle) $0.30 to 1.50
Blocking traffic 0.30 to 1.50
Wrong way on one way street 0.30 to 1.50
No parking zone 0.30 to 1.50
No vehicle registration $6 to 30
Failing to stop at stop sign $3 to 6
U turn $3 to 6
Noise making (horn, exhaust) $0.60 to 1.50
Blocking emergency exit 0.60 to 1.50
No Parking zone 0.60 to 1.50
Expired Driver's license 0.60 to 1.50
Drunken Driving $5 to 20
Wrong way on main road $0.60 to 1.50
Parking at bus stop 0.60 to 1.50
Too many passengers $6 to 30
Overloaded truck $6 to 60

S

Sarah

You are suggesting that the fines are minimal? Average wage in DR is $200US monthly. Do they seem minimal now?

E

ECH, M.D.

Sarah, The people that make the $200 PER MONTH are NOT the ones who drive cars......they can't afford a car!!!!! It is the RICH Dominicans who own and drive cars and the sum is definitely paltry. And, BTW, I have never seen a cop give a ticket for anything! Even when the observe infractions! They are too busy extorting money to do their job of police work.

S

Sarah

ECH, beg to differ. Of course they drive cars as chauffeurs, and guaguas, and carros publicos, and conchos, and scooters, etc. Where have you been? Fortunately, I don't have such terrible feelings towards Dominicans as you have seemed to have recently. Que paso Doctor?

J

Jim Hinsch

Re: US$0.60 - 1.50 fine for driving wrong way

When gasoline costs US$2/gallon, I don't think the US$0.60 to US$1.50 potential fine for driving the wrong way on a one-way main street is much deterrent.

S

Sarah

Re: US$0.60 - 1.50 fine for driving wrong way

OK, agreed. But take it times 10. Well, $15 still isn't much. But it does put it into perspective.

E

ECH, M.D.

Re: RICH VS POOR DRIVERS

Terrible feelings ABOUT Dominicans. Beg to differ with YOU. I am the one working here in a public hospital for FREE EVERY DAY trying to make a difference.
Those that drive as chauffers of cars and guaguas are PROFESSIONAL DRIVERS and as such usually drive very carefully or they will lose their job and/or go to jail. NOTE: I said usually drive very carefully; not always. Conchos and scooters don't count...they thumb their noses at the rules and speed away ON THE SIDEWALK NO LESS!!!
You know the Dominicans I am referring to .... the ones who BACK UP three blocks on a street looking for a house or those who park on the sidewalk because it is closer to their house or those who make a right turn when they are in the far left lane and cross three lanes of traffic but the best ones are those who speed up and try to make you RUN to cross the street or get hit and finally those who see how close they can get to pedestrians in a CROSS WALK. Speeding...forget about it. They all think they are driving at Indy.
Now, if any of this is wrong...tell me and I shall apologize for spreading misinformation on Dominican driving.
BTW: None of the people I attend have automobiles and they arrive via public transportation. They would laugh at you for even thinking they had the financial means to have a car.

S

Sarah

My Dear ECH, Badmouthing Dominicans as a whole, even tho you are working free there every day (just as I did for a year), even if you speak some truth, does not make it right. You appear to be a bigot. And I do not appreciate the recent sentiment you've set forth in some of your recent messages on the board. I thought I had a clear idea of where you were, but I apparently do not.

Plus, you are confused. In my first reply to ehnoney, I said that the average income is $200US monthly. This is the truth. And those are the people I have continued to refer to. I never, nor do I now, contend that any of the folks you or I have worked with have the means to own a car.

I'm not laughing at you. I pity you that you seem so miserable.

B

bob saunders

Since there thousands of motos( scooters) on the roads being driven by kids as young as 12 or possibly young and I've seen lots of expensive cars around, it's obvious that your $200-450 AVERAGE WAGE is enough to driven endlessly around the streets. A significant fine for those wages would be more like $50-100 dollars. Many of the students in my wifes school in Jarabacoa have either been killed or injured on the highway between Jarabacoa and La Vega. The road is curvy and hilly but all in all it's a safe road, only the drivers are unsafe. We always hire the same driver ( taxi) to drive us around. He is very professional and safe, even polite to rude drivers. If any of you are ever in Jarabacoa and need a good driver, go to the bus station/taxi station and ask for Octavio. Merry Christmas to all. Sarah, surely one can critize a legitimate problem ( poor and rude drivers) without being a bigot or anti-Dominican.

E

ECH, M.D.

I am married to a Dominican Lady, my two children are Dominican (actually they have dual citizenship)and I have lived here for ten years. How long must I live here before I can criticize my surroundings without being a bigot?

Please don't waste any time with pity on me. I could not be happier in my retirement....TEACHING MY SKILLS TO OTHERS.

and finally.....

THINK FOR YOURSELF AND ALLOW OTHERS THE SAME PRIVILEGE
HAVE PATIENCE WITH AND COMPASSION FOR ALL
AS WE ARE OF THE SAME CREATOR

J

John

first it would be intresting to see the accident stats. for the dominican republic,having been a frequent visitor their ihave only seen a couple of accidents thousands of close calls though.i offen here about the corrupt police but in their defence abit who would you give a ticket to,the speeder,the driver on the sidewalk,the guy going the wrong way,the one cutting across three lines of traffic,mind you he is blowing his horn,allthis at the same time and your the cop pick one who is it going to be.well maybe they could start like monday any one driving on the side walk gets a ticket,tuesday it's people who cut off firetrucks and ambulances and etc.the fines may seem small to some but you have to start some where hopefully it will start to make it safer for people.

D

DR1

Enough!

This isn't directed at anyone person, but it would be nice if we could keep some of these comments off the board. Send them via email or take them to another board.

ECH, MD has been a valuable contributor to this board for a long time. Actually, even before this board existed!
As for his work in the public health sector, some other people should take a leaf out of his book.

Man, some of you must get a kick out of being deleted!
Don't bother replying to this message, it will just get canned. If you have a problem, email me.

Happy Holidays!

Rob.

J

Jim Hinsch

Re: Hey Jim - BTW, you changed the message subject

It is considerate when the subject line reflects the contents of the message and/or thread.

E

Eddy

I agree with ECH

Most Dominicans do not know how to drive. I don't think anyone can say any different. Drivers for the two major bus companies excepted. The richer they are "the fancier the jeepetas" the more obnoxious they are. The rich can do what they want and the poor "well...." So lets be realistic. Happy and Safe Holidays.
Eddy

G

Gunnar

Re: I agree with ECH

I don't really know if I'd say "can't drive". Despite the
comments in this thread, we seem to have forgotten
all mileage driven WITHOUT accidents! True enough, for
a newly arrived foreigner, it can look as a vehicular
dramatisation of Dante, but when you look deeper, and
realize that eye-contact is a much used tool, much
overlooked (sorry!) in other countries, the situation
becomes clearer. As for "good" driving in the "civilized"
world, I might give you this: In Luxembourg and France,
you have two street-signs warning you that right-hand
priority is in effect: "Prioritet a droit" and "Prioritet
a droit absolute". Bad driving formalized to the level
of street-signs?

Could it more be like freedom=responsibility?
In US, as well as Europe, "big-brother" is watching you
all the time. Often with "good intention", but in many cases
not. Both in US and Europe you can, and will get fined
for crossing a red-light or stop sign, even when it's
miles of free sight and painstakingly obvious that noone
(except the hidden police-car) is around for the mentioned
miles.

On the other hand, both in the US and Europe, there are
tax-funded structures to care for victims (Charity-funded
are partially tax-funded, since contributions are normally
tax-deductible!)

Here, official enforcement of traffic laws are much
more lenient (close to non-existant), but you're pretty
much on your own if you mess up and get hurt.

If you're LUCKY, you might get helped by Dr. Ech or one of his
thousands of fine volonteering collegues throughout the country!
I'm now speaking about us, the majority, who can't afford an
expensive health insurance at la Corominas or similar!

To round up: During my 20++ years of (accident-free) driving,
I covered some 400.000 km (300.000 miles?) in a variety
of "traffic cultures". One of the biggest problems I noticed
is when someone is trying to enforce his or her foreign
culture onto a local. Try for instance to drive "american"
in Stockholm, Sweden, rush-hours, and I'll give you 30-40 seconds
before the crash!

Even a 500 dollar fine wouldn't rectify the behaviour of
an arrogant "rich" driver, but would effectively kill
the poor and his/her family. But justice must be equal
for all. See the dilemma?

/Gunnar

T

Tom

Re: I agree with ECH/alternative

After 12 years of driving in the DR, wrrying about housing , crime etc; I've decided it would be sensible to purchase a used M113 APC to live and travel in

G

Gunnar

The swedish S90 is a rather nifty alternative...

T

Tom

A bit too modern and way out or my price range. There are operable 113's around for 40-55- thousand, a lot of money but tno more than a SUV. It doesn't dent easilt, hardly ever gets stuck, automatically has the right of way, and if not, makes the right of way with anything smaller than a 80 ton truck. You can have space for 11 people, runs on gasoline does throw tracks now and then
THE SV 90 is quite a vehicle, something the US should look at to replace that stupid Bradlee FV

G

Gunnar

Humm. It's been around for some time, but I like it's
speed. It DOES have the right of way in most common
situations. Like when Fort Knox is blocking your way...