Spanish Beginner Book Recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drro

Bronze
Mar 22, 2006
Some time ago someone I think it was Lesley recommended several books in order of preference for beginners.

One of the books was out of print and I was able to get it from my local library, but don?t remember the title.

Any suggestions or recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks

Marianopolita

Former Spanish forum Mod 2010-2021
Dec 26, 2003
Yes, it was me...

Drro,

I do recall providing you a list of three books. You had asked me for some recommendations via PM. If I recall correctly, I provided you with a list of three beginner textbooks which are on my list of favourites and I usually recommend them to people who truly wish to start from scratch regardless what previous knowledge of Spanish they have because one can always learn something new. Humility goes a long way in language learning. I strongly recommend textbook learning above any of the language CD/ tapes because the foundation is just not strong enough especially for true beginners. Grammar based learning is the best to start with then one can explore other options to compliment textbook learning over time.

These grammar books are good for classroom or private instruction but you need to ensure correct pronunciation. If you have a good teacher who is strong in grammar you will reap the benefits of these textbooks. They will give you a good foundation as a beginner if you study the lessons from beginning to end. Contrary to some posts in this forum having a dictionary in Spanish is not sufficient to learn grammar even with the small grammar section provided in some dictionaries.

There is no specific order for the following recommendation. Either or all books are recommended. As well, there are many other great texts on the market but these ones always stand out when asked for recommendations.

1/ Con mucho gusto- this is the one that is out of print but here is the ISBN #0-03-006939-4, fourth edition. It is also comes with a workbook and lab manual. ISBN# 0-03-010417-3

28mjn1h.gif

-in simple words this textbook is fabulous and key concepts are analyzed. I don?t believe even some teachers have mastered some of the concepts in Spanish but the book is well organized and touches on key grammatical objectives with excellent explanations that always cause confusion for beginners. For e.g. ser/ estar, por/ para, de/desde, pedir/ preguntar etc. Many speakers believe por siempre and para siempre are interchangeable. They are not and many Spanish speakers use them incorrectly. Examples such as these are analyzed.

2/ ?C?mo se dice?- a classic grammar text book. ISBN# 0-395-85792-9, sixth edition

fm1hyr.jpg

-this edition is perfect for beginners and if studied sequentially it really provides a solid foundation for learners. Once again this is a text for classroom study for true beginners or independent study if one is already familiar with the phonetics (sounds/ pronunciation of words) in Spanish. I have the older version which I recommend and there is a newer version available. It?s worth every penny. I don?t have the cd rom so I can?t comment on its quality.

3/ Hola amigos- ISBN# 0-669-39738-5, fourth edition

-Hola amigos is a thorough grammar book for beginners that can make language learning fun. It?s well organized, covers all relevant topics with interesting cultural readings for each Latin American country. It?s very basic which makes it easy to progress from chapter to chapter. As well, there?s a test after every two or three chapters and they are thorough.

(no image of this edition is available)

Supplementary non grammar text books

I also recommend the TY (Teach Yourself) series for supplementary learning material. The key aspect to keep in mind is they are not grammar textbooks. However, they are designed to provide supplementary knowledge of Spanish grammatical concepts along with region specific vocabulary, phrases, expressions etc. depending on the TY book you buy. The cultural tips and readings are quite helpful and interesting. They do offer a range of books and while I don?t believe regional segregation is necessary when one is learning Spanish they do have a generic book that is obviously more specific to Spanish spoken in Spain and Europe and one titled Latin American Spanish that does include regional specifics heard in Latin America. The comparisons and subtleties are very precise. Once again it?s an example of how vast and diverse Spanish is.

See this thread that I started about the TY series.
http://www.dr1.com/forums/spanish-101/74381-ty-teach-yourself-series-spanish.html

I hope this post helps you in your pursuit of a good grammar book. I love keeping pace with the new output although it?s very costly but IMO there?s no price on education. One other suggestion is to go to the campus book store of one of the local universities and when in doubt go to the textbook Barnes and Noble on 5th and 23rd (I believe. It? no further than 25th street in Manhattan).

-Marianopolita

Drro

Bronze
Mar 22, 2006
Thank you so much not only for your promptness, but your thoroughness and attention to detail.

And none of these books were the original one I had gotten from my library - but I'll certainly go after the ones you've listed.

Thanks again.

Regards

Status
Not open for further replies.