Helmet fine

Status
Not open for further replies.

rox1547

Oct 1, 2008
We got pinched in Sosua today for not having a helmet. AMET took the bike, we have to pick it up tomorrow. Anyone have this happen to them? How much will the fine be? And when did the police start enforcing helmet laws :ermm:

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
We got pinched in Sosua today for not having a helmet. AMET took the bike, we have to pick it up tomorrow. Anyone have this happen to them? How much will the fine be? And when did the police start enforcing helmet laws :ermm:

police enforce the helmet laws randomly and if you are a gringo then you are a target.

The fine is about $60 but what you should have done was offer the Amet guy/ girl $RD1000 pesos and you would have been on your way, if they decline offer 2000

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
That Helmet Law is arbitrarily enforced. Every once in a while they'll swing around with that green tow truck, set up a check point and tow appx. 35 bikes. Always wear or bring your helmet or at least wait till 5pm when AMET goes home. Now I've heard that AMET is not that easy to bribe and was told stories of when AMET threw a RD$1,000 pesos bribe on the floor.

I think you go to Banca Reservas to pay the fine??

Also, they are big on towing illegally parked cars, so cuidate.

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
Everything is negotiable, I saw a guy that had his handcuffs taken off and I asked him how much and he said $500 pesos now this was the politur which is different and each branch is different.

What was funny was another gringo got stopped on a Sunday and Amet almost never is out on sunday and they had this guy stand there for 1 hour while they waited to get the truck to take his bike.

Talk about the high cost of not paying the Propina....

ghost722

Jan 14, 2009
I was stopped on pedro clisante a couple weeks ago. Some guy tried to warn me, and I tried to turn around before I got to the checkpoint, but some Amet guy was near and ran over and hopped on the back of my pasola before I could turn around. I asked if I could pay a fine to avoid having the pasola confiscated, and the girl wrote up a ticket that I had to take to the bank and pay. The fine was 1000rd.

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
I was stopped on pedro clisante a couple weeks ago. Some guy tried to warn me, and I tried to turn around before I got to the checkpoint, but some Amet guy was near and ran over and hopped on the back of my pasola before I could turn around. I asked if I could pay a fine to avoid having the pasola confiscated, and the girl wrote up a ticket that I had to take to the bank and pay. The fine was 1000rd.

They are doing stop checks every where now even on the way to Charamicos which we all considered the Free Zone.

What I dislike is when it is windy my helmet blows off !

When I bought my Helmet the strap said handle so I wear it on my wrist.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Remember that urban legend has it that when AMET can prove they have been offered a bribe they get a day or two off with pay. Since they like being paid not to work....;)

Actually it's a bit more than urban legend, it has happened certainly a year or so back. I wouldn't ever advise trying to bribe AMET.

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
Remember that urban legend has it that when AMET can prove they have been offered a bribe they get a day or two off with pay. Since they like being paid not to work....;)

Actually it's a bit more than urban legend, it has happened certainly a year or so back. I wouldn't ever advise trying to bribe AMET.

Ok Mom,

I will wear my hat when it Rains.

Luv U,

Mike

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
www.azconatechnologies.com
If I had to guess I would say that helmet laws will be enforced more frequently form now on.

I am seeing about 75% of all riders wearing helmets in Santiago for the last 2 weeks. Most of the ones who are not wearing helmets have them close by in case they spot an AMET.

I wish people would wear them out of concern for their own safety and not fear of the law.

I bet if they made motorcycle helmets that looked like baseball caps and had "NY" on the front Dominicans would never want to take them off.

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
i remember when the seat belt law came into force in the uk - its just a question of getting into the habit of putting your hardhat on- clunk clink every trip

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
this ones pretty nifty

borsalino-helmets.jpg

LuvtheDR

Apr 4, 2004
How about all of you dimwits wearing your helmet properly? That would be the intellegent thing to do.

Amet doesn't enforce the law just to **** you off, they do for your own good

Don't call me when you splatter your brains all over the road.

Amen!! :tired:

DR Mpe

Banned
Mar 31, 2003
25 pesos...

I paid but that was 4 years ago. Only time they stopped me and took the bike. Had to pay the fine at Banreservas...

El Patron

Banned
Apr 24, 2009
police enforce the helmet laws randomly and if you are a gringo then you are a target.

The fine is about $60 but what you should have done was offer the Amet guy/ girl $RD1000 pesos and you would have been on your way, if they decline offer 2000

Don't ... offer them any money. Just be cool and try to explain to them that this is your first time and you did not know any better since you are from out of town. Most of them will let you go. Just show some respect.

Not every Amet is going to accept your bribe. You can end up in a much worse situation.

Last edited by a moderator:

DR Mpe

Banned
Mar 31, 2003
Amet doesn't enforce the law just to **** you off, they do for your own good

QUOTE]

Yeah right, that is why the bust people for seat belt while a Daihatsu truck with 60 kids in the back pass by... .

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.