Travelers Checks in DR

PaJay

Mar 18, 2009
I'll be in the La Romana next week, and I'm wondering - do I take travelers checks to pay for the excursions and shopping, or do the merchants prefer Visa or Mastercard? I don't want to take a lot of cash with me, so input is appreciated!

Thanks

Bryanell

Bronze
Aug 9, 2005
I'll be in the La Romana next week, and I'm wondering - do I take travelers checks to pay for the excursions and shopping, or do the merchants prefer Visa or Mastercard? I don't want to take a lot of cash with me, so input is appreciated!

Thanks

Well, cash is always happily accepted here, the more the better, and it will give you more bargaining power and greater negotiability.

Credit cards are accepted by most major, medium and even small businesses, but by no means universally, some businesses will charge extra because the credit card transaction costs them money in commissions and it takes time for them to receive the payment from the card company.

Travellers checks, whilst agreeably more secure for you than either of the above, I would say are the least popular instruments, particularly with smaller institutions and you may find that they will not be accepted everywhere. Enjoy your visit.
Bryan

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Use an ATM card instead

Thanks

Forget Traveler's Checks, bring an ATM card and take cash out as you need it. Try to use machines in front of/attached to banks, less problems, usually better security. If your ATM card is a Visa/MC it can serve as double duty. Also remember that most credit card companies charge an 'international' fee, usually 3%, for each transaction you make.