PRD back in power in 2012?

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
With the revision to the constitution currently being performed I was hoping that they would finally set a rule for any person to be candidate only twice in a row just lie The US and would keep municipal and congress elections separate to at least keep some measure of opposition in congress. Alas I was wrong and the constitution is (as usual) being modified to serve the desires of the current people in power.

So recently Miguel Vargas Maldonado (MVM) and Leonel Fernandez (LF) met and came to an agreement on a bunch of points that will affect the new constitution. One of them is re-election and as I'm sure you all know LF agreed to not be a candidate in 2012 ( I don't really understand his strategy on this) as long as he can be a candidate again in 2016.

This leaves the door wide open for MVM to become the president in 2012 and it looks like we'll have The PRD back in power as I don't see any leader in The PLD charismatic enough to compete with MVM. Not to mention that a large part of PRSC is also signing an agreement to support MVM on the next elections. The fly in the ointment is Hipolito Mejia and the PPH and what will they do? They have seen their power diminish tremendously, but he could still try to be a candidate himself thus dividing The PRD (I hope it happens) and maybe giving a potential PLD candidate a chance.

I know one thing for sure....If MVM becomes president I would be pulling any dollars I had invested there quickly. The PRD has NEVER had a good stable government period and I don't expect this time would be any different.

What do you guys think?

El Tigre

El Tigre de DR1 - Moderator
Jan 23, 2003
Me gets the shivers whenever I think about the PRD being in power. I will say I don't know much about DR politics but what I do know is PRD = trouble from all the readings and people's opinions. And you are right...The PRD has never had a stable government. So this one if he wins won't be any different.

My peeps in the DR always tell me that when Hipolito was in power "se veia el dinero en la calle, tu cambiabas 100 dolares y durabas 3 y 4 dias substeniendote" but what they don't talk about is ALLLLLLLLLLLLLL the corruption. All that was done in those 4 years. Whenever I mention this they tell me they prefer a thief that steals from them right in front of their eyes and not one like Leonel that "steals" with class. I really don't get my people. Or maybe I do...they just want MONEY to survive no matter the cost? BAD. Very bad!

I don't think ANY of us, not our kids or our kids grand kids will see a "stable" "reputable" government in the DR. Yo soy Dominicano and I admit this. It is a shame but it is THE PLAIN TRUTH.

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
My peeps in the DR always tell me that when Hipolito was in power "se veia el dinero en la calle, tu cambiabas 100 dolares y durabas 3 y 4 dias substeniendote" but what they don't talk about is ALLLLLLLLLLLLLL the corruption. All that was done in those 4 years. Whenever I mention this they tell me they prefer a thief that steals from them right in front of their eyes and not one like Leonel that "steals" with class. I really don't get my people. Or maybe I do...they just want MONEY to survive no matter the cost? BAD. Very bad!.

The reason for what people say this is because when PRD is in office they create thousands employs for the poor people different than Leonel?s governments. People complain about this president having 300 helpers doing nothing for the country but wiring the big salaries to the banks in others countries or going shopping to Miami, this way the money doesn?t run in the streets of the DR and the economy stuck.

JJ

mido

Bronze
May 18, 2002
I don't think it makes a big difference. The economical situation in the DR is so bad at the moment that there is not much approval for the present government left. Miguel Vargas would win the next election no matter what.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Unless you take the moral high ground and cast a wasted vote for Guillermo Moreno, there is not that much difference except what you have to gain personally by supporting one or the other. That's what determines most people's choice of candidate.

Who will be the PLD candidate in 2012? Danilo Medina?

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
suarezn, the PRD might well get back in in 2012 but is it really in 'power'? My blood doesn't run cold at the thought of a PRD government; my blood runs cold at the thought of all these guys, of whichever party, being puppets and the strings being pulled by narcointerests waaay outside the country. I think it's generally accepted that the narcodescent began in earnest under Hipolito but in the last 5 years under Leonel nothing much seems to have changed, if anything it appears to be getting worse. So I'm wondering, who really pulls the strings? And if they are being pulled from somewhere distant, then would any future elections be an act of ultimate self-deception which the Dominican people unconsciously collude with?

El Tigre

El Tigre de DR1 - Moderator
Jan 23, 2003
I think it's generally accepted that the narcodescent began in earnest under Hipolito but in the last 5 years under Leonel nothing much seems to have changed, if anything it appears to be getting worse.

Can you point out some examples that indicate it might be getting worse? In no way this is an attack or anything. I usually go by what I read and I haven't read a big drug scandal involving PLD like Quirino under the Hipo.

Maybe this is what my peeps refer to as the PLD "stealing with class." Things are probably going on but under the cover if you will.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Can you point out some examples that indicate it might be getting worse? In no way this is an attack or anything. I usually go by what I read and I haven't read a big drug scandal involving PLD like Quirino under the Hipo.

Maybe this is what my peeps refer to as the PLD "stealing with class." Things are probably going on but under the cover if you will.

I do point them out from time to time, El Tigre, in this forum. Have a look at the Paya case and the thread about Senator Wilton Guerrero, have a look at why the 23 police officials in Puerto Plata, known to be taking drug tolls, evidenced by phone recordings authorised by the Chief of Police (& not a judge!) had their cases dismissed. The latter isn't even under cover: the phone recordings were broadcast on radio & TV chat shows in Puerto Plata.....:ermm:

Read the blogs El Tigre (much of what appears in papers is 'managed') - this is a comprehensive one with entries twice a day
Desde Dominicana

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
Do you really think it can get worse than now?

Are you serious?? What is happening now?? The dollar is steady a 35.8, inflation is in check a single digits number in an annual basis, unemployment rates are still better than in 2003, and all of that with the international crisis almost off.

Do you want to go back to the days of 50% inflation rates, the dollar at 58 X 1, GPD growth at -2.2, crime rates wayyyyy higher than what it is now? The government buildings runways so narcos airplanes can land there and unload the "mercancia", all in all a complete disaster. So yes I really think that this could be really worse.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Do you really think it can get worse than now?

Hmmm....Yes. If any of the previous PRD governments are any indication then it could get way worse. We could be back to the days of the peso devaluing 30%+ from one day to the next. I think the PLD is corrupt, but The PRD takes the cake...and the lights, and the balloons, and everything that's not bolted on...

Also you wrote that economic situation in The DR is so bad that the current government's approval ratings are the pits. I beg to disagree. The economic situation is not THAT bad and we all know that if Fernandez ran again he would win. People haven't completely forgotten the Hipo years just yet.

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
If there is a god in heaven

Hippo? god no , and the same for any other PLD hack, the only reason they ran last time is they thought HIPPO might have left some money laying around to be scooped up. I have no respect for the PLD if for nothing else than the animals that run all over the capital painting PLD/MVP on anything they can find. They have no respect for other peoples property. :eek:gre::eek:gre::ninja:

brisas

Oct 17, 2007
If prd wins, count me out

If PRD wins in 2012, I am out of this country in a hurry.

PLD is not the best that it could be, but it manages reasonably well. PRD is a total fiasco. Under the best circumstances, they have shown to be incapable of any fiscal or legal restraint.

The governments from that party, presided by Jorge Blanco, and Hipolito Mejia, have shown they have people too corrupt and disorganized to run effectively anything; some of those folks lack any kind of psychological constraints. They would not hesitate to run down the country like they did in the days of HIPO or SJB.

My vision for a PRD regime, under the duress of US partial economic recovery AND high oil prices is total devaluation of the peso, run away inflation, foreign debt skyrocketing, and hunger.. hunger the like of which we haven't seen in many years since the days of the "espa?a boba". oh.. and, did i say drugs? Do you see the guy involved in the Marbella case breaking away from his maffia friends, anytime soon?

you can sign me out if it comes to such a sad event: a PRD return to power.

Last edited:

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
Mybad

hippo? God no , and the same for any other pld hack, the only reason they ran last time is they thought hippo might have left some money laying around to be scooped up. I have no respect for the pld if for nothing else than the animals that run all over the capital painting pld/mvp on anything they can find. They have no respect for other peoples property. :eek:gre::eek:gre::ninja:

ment prd, i'm sorry

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
The PRD doesn't have a modernization program. They are all about focusing on agriculture and quite frankly, the future of the country is NOT agriculture. Heck, that's not a future.

But history speaks louder than mere words and history is readily available to whomever is interested. Do your own investigations and you will see the obvious, every time the PRD is in power:

A) Something happens to the economy. Can't really blame them for this, the PRD doesn't plan these things.

and

B) They exacerbate the economic problem by doing the complete opposite of what they are suppose to be doing. Now, this falls squarely on their laps!

IMO, had the PRD been in power right now, the DR economy would had been in the toilet along with the U.S. and Puerto Rico. These people have proven to not be capable of effectively handling any crisis, regardless if its an internal banking crisis or an external recession as in the '80s. Check how the DR economy faired back then under PRD rule.

They need to change their top people and develop a viable development plan, until then they are no good in my book.

All they are focused is short term gains which ravages the long term development, almost the opposite of what the PLD has done.

This is not mere words, its proven in actions. Check the history.

Juan Bosch was and still is (in memory) the most progressive Dominican politician to had ever walked that soil. He created the PRD and subsequently left and created the PLD. This type of things happens when a true leader realizes that the interest of the country is not the main priority of a party that claims to be the "party of the poor", and yet the poor are the people that are hurt the most when they are in charge.

Go figure!
-NALs

aegap

Silver
Mar 19, 2005
Danilo Medina and that other Fernandez guy, the current environmental minister, seem a little more decent than Fernandez, though one can't really say for sure how itchy-palmed they'd become with absolute power (at least in theory) on their hands. But, if anything, either would at least drive the country to hell at a slower pace than the current alternative.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
My dream candidate would be Minou Tavarez. :)
Jaime David is perhaps a more realistic prospect but now he is also betraying people's hopes with his approval of a cement factory on the edge of Los Haitises National Park.

Nals, I believe the PRD will just continue where the current lot have left off, including the second line of the metro. They might handle it with less efficiency and the corruption will take different shapes and forms, but otherwise nothing much will change.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
My dream candidate would be Minou Tavarez. :)
Jaime David is perhaps a more realistic prospect but now he is also betraying people's hopes with his approval of a cement factory on the edge of Los Haitises National Park.

Nals, I believe the PRD will just continue where the current lot have left off, including the second line of the metro. They might handle it with less efficiency and the corruption will take different shapes and forms, but otherwise nothing much will change.

Funny how perceptions change over time. Minou (now a champion for women's right) was a Balaguer protege. He made her what she is today and she was definitely very well entrenched in that other very corrupt red party of yesteryears.

Jaime David is/was IMO a very decent and even honest man whom I would have liked to see become president...but as you said you never know how people will react once they are in power.

Danilo Medina is your typical Dominican politician. I don't believe I've ever heard him stand for anything, other than just trying to maneuver his way within the PLD to get money, power, etc with a faction he kind of leads within the party. He reminds me a lot of Ramon Albulquerque...they are just in politics for the sake of politics and money (I know they all are, but these guys even more so).

I really wish the PRD would just continue down the path of the current government - At least not a lot of harm can happen that way. That's what everyone thought when Hippo came to power and a couple of years later the country was going down the crapper faster than a real turd...