question marital and property questions

rocker67

Apr 20, 2009
hi

if i have a girlfriend and we are NOT married and she lives with me in my paid for home;

is she at what point, if any, entitled to ownership of this property because we are living together?

any advise on what to do so i may protect my home from her if we break up ( and assuming th laws says she is entitled to 1/2 the house after so many years together)

if i have a wife and we ARE MARRIED and she lives in my house is she automatically 1/2 owner of my property , immediately after our marriage , that i paid for in full before even meeting her
at what point in time is she entitled to 1/2 of my house?

if i have a prenuptial are they worth paper theyre written upon?

if we have kids and we decide to split up; is she automatically given my house or must i set her up in something else?

hope you can help...please take the time if you have it to answer all my questions

thanks

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
As far as I know - and there are loads of threads on this - anything you buy in your name with your money before you marry is yours on divorce. Well, real estate anyway. Anything you buy after marriage is 50/50. Not sure about kids after divorce.

Matilda

RonS

Bronze
Oct 18, 2004
Dr. Guzman is the expert. I was just wondering if there is a concept in Dominican law similar to the law of several states that provides for a spouse 'contributing' property acquired prior to marriage to the marital estate. This is almost a fiction the law has devised to enhance the property required to be divided upon divorce. The other part of the OP's question is even more interesting, i.e., how does all this play out in the DR in situations where you are living with someone but not legally married to them.

Fabio J. Guzman

DR1 Expert
Jan 1, 2002
www.drlawyer.com
if i have a girlfriend and we are NOT married and she lives with me in my paid for home;is she at what point, if any, entitled to ownership of this property because we are living together? any advise on what to do so i may protect my home from her if we break up ( and assuming th laws says she is entitled to 1/2 the house after so many years together)

Several recent Supreme Court rulings have stated that there is no "community property" between unmarried companions. However, if the companions ran a business together, the Supreme Court has ruled that a de facto partnership exists whose assets must be distributed between the partners.

if i have a wife and we ARE MARRIED and she lives in my house is she automatically 1/2 owner of my property , immediately after our marriage , that i paid for in full before even meeting her
at what point in time is she entitled to 1/2 of my house?

Real estate acquired by a spouse before marriage does not become community property upon marriage. If the house was "improved" with community funds during marriage, the owner owes the other spouse 50% of the improvements.

if i have a prenuptial are they worth paper theyre written upon?

They certainly are.

if we have kids and we decide to split up; is she automatically given my house or must i set her up in something else?

No, she won't get your house. If the children are minors, you will have to support them. If they are of legal age, they'll have inheritance rights upon your death; nothing else.