obtaining a copy of my marridge certificate !

geoffey

May 28, 2009
HELP can anyone please help or advise me on how to get hold of a copy of my marridge certificate from the dominican republic have done the usual stuff contact the dominican embassy and the hotel were i stayed but have had no joy !!! cant seem to get any information on this subject and would be greatful for some advice regarding this matter. thanks geoff.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Marridge Papers

a copy of my marridge certificate from the dominican republic have done the usual stuff contact the dominican embassy and the hotel were

Did you marry at a hotel?
Against whom...? :cheeky:
Was there a wedding coordinator or planner?
Was it an official wedding where documents were issued?

geoffey

May 28, 2009
yes all of the items u listed had no responce from the hotel and deffinatly no porridge involved

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
The marriage document will be normally located at the nearest records office in charge of that area.

Last edited by a moderator:

granca

Bronze
Aug 20, 2007
We recently got a copy of our marriage certificate. Dead simple. went to the office where we got married, its on the original certificate, and asked for a legalised copy, They said " Pay RD$ 2000 and come back next week." We did and we have it!

geoffey

May 28, 2009
you hit the nail on the head !! we live in the uk and were married in dr we were given our certificate but the wife has lost it along the way as iv'e mentioned already the dr embassy weren't much help the hotel haven't replyed to any of my emails so i just seem to be hitting a blank at the mo thats why i posted my appeal here to try another approach .

tflea

Bronze
Jun 11, 2006
In Puerto Plata you can get it at the Oficialia de Estado Civil on Beller Street downtown. Probably one in whatever community where you were married. It's a public records office for marriage certificates, birth certificates, etc. Being in the UK you'd have to obviously get a friend, relative, whomever to request it on your behalf. Not sure how it works for a 3rd party pickup that is not an official of some kind.

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
you hit the nail on the head !! we live in the uk and were married in dr we were given our certificate but the wife has lost it along the way as iv'e mentioned already the dr embassy weren't much help the hotel haven't replyed to any of my emails so i just seem to be hitting a blank at the mo thats why i posted my appeal here to try another approach .
Please advise at which hotel the 'wedding' took place. I might have an idea as to whom you should contact, how to make a request to him/her to obtain this for you & then post it over to you.

PM me with location of the wedding please & I will respond with my suggestions. IF there was a Tour Company representative present or involved in this, let me know & I will 'take it up with them' so as to 'enquire' why they are being less than helpful! ~ Grahame.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
you hit the nail on the head !! we live in the uk and were married in dr we were given our certificate but the wife has lost it along the way

OK so this wasn't the original certificate, which you were given & it got lost - just making the point that your case is different to the couple from Romford in the paper: they're still waiting for their original certificate.

Like tflea, I don't know that you can do this without having a relative here, or appointing a lawyer to act on your behalf. You would have to supply some sort of proof that the wedding took place, for example. That's why I suggested not the DR Embassy but your Consular rep (the UK one) in the area where you married. I'm fairly certain I couldn't go swanning into Estado Civil on your behalf, for example, but a lawyer or Consular rep might be able to.

Anyway, see if BushBaby's offer of help works for you and if not we can put you in touch with your Consular representative.

Apr 30, 2006
www.drlawyer.com
If you have no one in the DR to obtain it on your behalf you can hire an attorney to do it for you. The only thing you'll need to send them is a copy of the certificate or, if you lost your copy, the certificate's main information (full names of the spouses, exact date of marriage and the city or location in the DR where the marriage took place). An attorney would also offer you to have the document translated into English or your native language and have it authenticated at the local authorities as well as at your country's consulate in Santo Domingo.

AntonioP

Jul 2, 2009
Marriage Certificate

I too am having an issue with a marriage certificate. I was married in Dominican Republie in 2001 and we are now divorcing (living in Ireland). For a long time the marriage certificate could not be found but now the other party to the divorce (wife??) has produced a document titled EXTRACTO DE ACTA. This does not have our signatures. Does anyone know if this is the marriage certificate? Also, if so, is there a way that I can prove this is authentic? I would not be surprised if she obtained someone elses document and doctored it!! Any advise would be great. Thanks

Barbie38

Apr 15, 2009
Geoggrey, where did you get married Punta Cana or Puerto Plata? I know someone there that can help you out but they will need to have all of your pertinent information to request the document on your behalf. If you're interested send me a note.