Jepeta Rental for $900 for 11 Days

UptownEastSideBX

May 27, 2009
Just rented a Mitsubishi XLS (Cara de Gato) for $900 for 11 days. I am renting it from the same guy that I rented a Mitsubishi Montero from in December. I feel like i'm getting slightly taken for but at the end of the day these are solid guys, local outfit, come running if there are any problems and are always accessible via there personal cell phones...

Any thoughts? advice? deals?

alicious

Bronze
Oct 2, 2007
Is this in Santo Domingo?
Does the price include insurance?
Doesn't sound like too horrible a price to me...did you try to negotiate it at all since its for 11 not just 1 or 2 days?

UptownEastSideBX

May 27, 2009
Is this in Santo Domingo?
Does the price include insurance?
Doesn't sound like too horrible a price to me...did you try to negotiate it at all since its for 11 not just 1 or 2 days?

yes, its in Santo Domingo and includes insurance, not much wiggle room in regards to negotiating but I trust these guys and know if I have any problems they will be there so I guess I'd rather pay for that personal service then go through a chain outfit and have to deal with the bureaucracy.

Any ideas on gas prices in DR these days? Can't remember what I was paying in December but it didn't seem to bad.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Any ideas on gas prices in DR these days?

Premium
RD$ 140.90
arr_Up.gif

Regular
RD$ 130.10
arr_Up.gif

Diesel
RD$ 105.80
arr_Eq.gif

Propane
RD$ 57.38
arr_Dwn.gif

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
900 for 10 days for that type of vehicle (it depends of the year of the vehicle of course) is a very fair price specially if it includes insurance which will normally run at least 25 USD a day just by itself.

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
For comparison... Hertz website quoted $520 for 10 days mid June at SDQ for a Fiat Palio

fiat-palio-weekend-adventure-106.jpg

UptownEastSideBX

May 27, 2009
For comparison... Hertz website quoted $520 for 10 days mid June at SDQ for a Fiat Palio

Not sure about that Fiat, does it have a third row? i plan on traveling with at least 4-5 people at a time, if not one or two more..The Mitsu has the third row which fits two.

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
Uptown,
You can check Hertz, Avis, Europcar & other sites online for details of what they offer... I just did that look up out of curiousity as I know at Pto Plata's chain rentals you can rent economy cars around $200-250 a week.

UptownEastSideBX

May 27, 2009
I'm not so sure I wouldn't go the extra 140 bucks and get two fiats instead of one Mitsubishi.

It would be a lot more comfortable.

factor in the cost of filling two tanks and you might be blowing your budget right there. Also factor in driving in various circumstances for certain gringos, like the way to Moca, i've honestly never seen so many potholes on one road in my life.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002

...and if that doesn't include LDW (which I would be surprised if it does) then you're looking at another 250+ USD on top of that.

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
... like the way to Moca, i've honestly never seen so many potholes on one road in my life.

Drove from Santo Domingo to north coast via Moca 2 weeks ago... no major pothole issues. If you're comfortable with the rental you have now & the owners, why worry? Enjoy!

Mason3000

Aug 2, 2008
The price you quote is ok for a 'Cara de Gato'. Call Ramon @ Moderca 809-837-8440 (Cell) 809-273-1249 (Office) and speak to him. The dude's always been 100% straight up with me. He keeps a can of stuff on hand for when I turn in the car to wipe off the nicks and paint scrapes so he doesn't have to charge me for them No gouging!). Roadside assistance wherever you go. His brother is a General so if you get stopped call Ramon, he can fix it. I prefer the non-chain rent-a-cars because straight up, they're cheaper. Forget what others tell you they ARE! People quote crazy cheap prices online but that's w/out the 16% tax and w/out the insurance (The insurance is more expensive than the rental price for full coverage). Just find a pirate rental car place like Moderca that won't kill you and you'll never use anyone else again. Obviously you're traveling with a group AND you wanna look sharp at the same time otherwise you'd be getting a minivan or a guagua right??!! You're looking for some luxury, no shame. Ramon's got 'Cara de gatos', Montero Sports, BMW X-5's, etc. Seriously, I'm not employed by the guy, nor do I get a kickback. Just trying to throw him some business because he's solid and always done me/friends right!! Coming out of the airport road you turn left onto the main highway to SD and you'll see National/Budget on your right after about 500 meters. Turn right at the street before the National/Budget. Go 20 meters and it's on your left hand side. They do pick ups and transfers from the airport as well and just generally are reasonable guys in a country full of unreasonable people.

Last edited:
Just find a pirate rental car place like Moderca that won't kill you and you'll never use anyone else again.

That is true until you have an accident or something like that then you will understand why I only rent from two places Avis and Budget. You will be in for a rude awakening when you have an accident especially if the guys brother is a General as you say,because now it is you who will have to pay or face the wrath!!!! Been there done that its not worth the headaches even though I also know several ranking people in the country.

Mason3000

Aug 2, 2008
Agreed on the accident issue badpiece. I choose not pay the over-the-top full coverage insurance and instead take the 3rd party coverage. I know there's a $5k deductible. It's a calculated risk that works for me, but it's not for everyone. It sounds like the OP is comfortable enough that he's going this same route.

UptownEastSideBX

May 27, 2009
Agreed on the accident issue badpiece. I choose not pay the over-the-top full coverage insurance and instead take the 3rd party coverage. I know there's a $5k deductible. It's a calculated risk that works for me, but it's not for everyone. It sounds like the OP is comfortable enough that he's going this same route.

Yeah, think I'm going to stick with my guys and if some problem arises, i'll look into something else.