Visa's & Passport for the UK

Esmile

May 31, 2009

Hello all,

I am after some advise re: a Dominican visiting England for a 2 week holiday. Before assumptions are made let me explain...

My family built a house in Estancia Puerto Plata, 8 years ago. We also have land in La Romana & property in Santa Domingo. We have been very lucky and made some wounderful friends, and manage to split our time nicely between Republica Dominicana an England, as my father has a lot of buisness in the city.

Sadly a close friend of ours, was killed in a motorbike accident last month leaving behind his wife, children and unborn baby. We are close to the family and have been for many years. However, the eldest son (19) has had to abandon 'teenage years' and take on the role of looking after the family.

As a release, a way of fullfilling a dream his father had for him, we want to give him the oppurtunity of coming to England for 2/3weeks. The family are very much our family, and we understand the heart break they are going through and figure the best way to help them is to help the eldest son having to lead the other children.

PROBLEM... He doesn't have a passport or a visa. However, i have read about sponsers, as we have funds in banks over there and here and several properties we can prove that we have the funds to support his stay. His mother is a lutenant, and works in Puerto Plata, and the family have a stable family home, which he will return to. We are also good friends with Pedro, who owns a construction company who will support his visit.

Please can you give me any advice, information or anything you think may help. Thank you, i appreciate all your support.

Thanks again :cheeky:

Esmile

May 31, 2009
DR1 I am so grateful to all of you who post, I’ve spent hours reading through your advice and own experiences re: visas.

He has got his passport, and we are all set to start the online visa application. From what I have read I am aware its highly unlikely he will be granted a visitors visa, as he can't show any real reason to return. But all we can do is try and pray to god.

If anyone has applied for a visitor’s visa in similar circumstances please do let me know how you got on? Or anyone wishes to offer advice/ their opinions as to if it will be granted/ or not! As I have mentioned before he is a family friend and has been for many years now.

*19-year-old university student & lives with his immediate family in Dominican Republic. Family are well off/ very comfortable, and he has enough money in his account to prove he can afford to keep himself whilst in the UK.

Thank you

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
The only thing he needs to prove is that he has a reason to return. The visas are processed in new york now and they look very carefully at what is written on line.

1. he needs to have a job and state how much money he earns here
2. If he owns property he needs to state how much it is worth
3. he needs to state his income here

he will need to take all supporting documents to the Uk embassy here including titulars for property and letters from employers, plus the letter of invitation from you.

I suggest he says he is only going for a short time like 2 or 3 weeks. If you want any more advise on specifics then feel free to pm me.

matilda

whiskylee

May 13, 2007
As Matilda has outlined the Embassy's main criteria is that there are enough supporting documents submitted to ensure your freind returns to the Dominican Republic.

We have been through the whole process leading to my wife having a British Passport.

Only submit the application when you are 110% sure that you have met all the requirments. If there is the slightest doubt wait until you have all in place.

If you require any more info pm me

Whiskylee

sangria

Bronze
May 16, 2006
how about proof of enrollment for the next semester of university?

would that show intent to return?

Esmile

May 31, 2009
Thank you for your replies. Your advice has helped, and as Matilda pointed out, we will only be applying for 2 weeks as this may give us more of a chance.

I understand the importance of proving he will return but it is difficult as he doesnt have a full-time job. He holds down a part time alongside university.

Sangria mentioned his proof of enrolment from university? Would this be of use?

We are collecting together as much as we can before we apply for the visa, but obviously without him owning a home, or being in full time employment its difficult. The fact his family are comfortable is irrelevant in the Embassy's eyes. Without these is it near impossible to be granted?

Thanks again, your advice and support really helps! Such a informative forum.

domilinguist

Feb 22, 2008
I think the UK visa can be hard to obtain as tourist visas are almost always given for a 6-month period no more, no less (please correct me if I am mistaken). Therefore, it doesn't matter if you're planning to go for three days or five and a half months. As Matilda stated, you just need to prove you will return after your visit.

Unfortunately, being a young, single Dominican male can be a huge disadvantage. However, if you are able to prove that he has strong ties and commitments to his family in Puerto Plata and can explain his situation, that may help.

I am no expert, but have been through the visa application process several times with my partner. The first time he applied a few years ago, he was single and self-employed but to be fair is from a middle class family and has travelled extensively so I think that your situation is very different to ours. Please PM me though if I can help in any way.

Good luck!

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
It is true that the standard visitor visa is for 6 months but this is for multiple entry and each trip no more than 3 months. However on the application form you have to say how long you are travelling for and if you say 3 months in my experience it is harder than if you say you are going for a two week holiday. If you say you are going for 2 weeks as you have to be back for university, with say proof of grades and proof of start date then I think that might help.

Matilda

DOMINCAN JOE

Bronze
Aug 15, 2006
We tried for a visit visa for my step son 3 times, refused we also went to the immigration court same old thing nothing to go back to the d/r for, the embassy just likes taking people money

Esmile

May 31, 2009
We tried for a visit visa for my step son 3 times, refused we also went to the immigration court same old thing nothing to go back to the d/r for, the embassy just likes taking people money

Thats awful, it seems pretty much impossible! I wish you luck for your next application.
I am going to try and speak to somebody @ the embassy in NYC to see what they say, not that i hold out much hope. Thank you to everyone who has posted, your advice has been really helpful.

:cheeky: Thanks again