16 months in

yess

Jun 1, 2008
so 16 months into the relationship I get a virus (nothing sexual get your minds out of the gutter :tired:), need emergency heart surgery and end up with a hole in my chest that looks like I have been hit with a hatchet. Life can be hard but HEY ! ! ! its still life so I will take it.

So what does my younger, stronger, healthier Dominican significant other say?
"I should have taken out the extended warranty"
I would have laughed but at the time laughing hurt too much.

Our relationship is not the easiest and who knows what will happen but I will always be appreciative of his support and care during some of life's more difficult transistions including the death of a parent. These things are not always guaranteed.

Anyway I am posting this because Lord knows we get plenty of the other stuff

yess

Jun 1, 2008
Yes and I sincerely hope for your sake that you don't know about that from personal experience

plan a is mega doses of ibuprofin
plan b is to tap the fluid with a needle
but I had to go with plan c surgery
oh well it wasn't the worst type of heart surgery - they didn't have to crack the ribs

Its a geat motivator to get and stay healthy!

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
plan A me was steroids which worked but left me weak as a baby for 4 months but I've had a recovery without serious effects or damage to my heart.

yess

Jun 1, 2008
oh Bob I am so sorry you went through that and glad you are here to tell about it
4 months huh? that is helpful for me to know because some days I am surprised/frightened by how tired I am but it has only been 3 weeks.
but the biggest shocker was the surgical site, I had NO IDEA they could send you home with a hole in your chest

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
Sorry to hear you both had to endure something that traumatic.

How do you get this virus?

Is there a lot of this in the DR as I have never heard of this ...ever.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Sorry to hear you both had to endure something that traumatic.

How do you get this virus?

Is there a lot of this in the DR as I have never heard of this ...ever.

It is unknown how the virus gets to your pericardium, but they suspect it travels from the lungs...etc. In my case I was in Canada and had no prior illness. Feels very simular pain-wise to a heat attack but your blood pressure goes down and your heart beat goes up. If bad enough it seriously restricts the flow out of your main arteries.

yess

Jun 1, 2008
this will probably get shut down or told to take it to PM's

viruses are viruses, you try to maintain your best defense, a healthy immune system, but sometimes sh*t happens

this happened to me in NYC