Where to find fresh fruit in Sousa?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Terpsichore

Apr 17, 2009
I will be returning to Sousa in a couple of weeks and wanted advice on where to pick up some great fresh fruit to enjoy. I know I could go to the super marcado, but I was wondering if there were any better options. Maybe a farmers market that I don't know about? I also remember someone driving down the neighborhood streets with a loud speaker annoucing produce for sale. How do you track down that guy?!

thanks!

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Borrow a loud hailer & use it & he'll find you, because he'll think you're competition:cheeky:...just ask the neighbours, usually these guys have set days for certain areas. If you're in Puerto Plata, Tropical Supermarket has good fruit. I used to go to local fruit and veg. markets when we first lived here, but now I find the supermarkets have the better selection with less earth attached.

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
Great Idea....I wish I could tell which loud speaker presentation is for what.

One guy does metal pick up, another for fruits and vegetables and on and on.

That was funny G

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Alternatively you can do what hungry Dominicans do .............. find a fruit bearing tree, climb it & knock the fruit down to someone standing below with a net (or similar). You WILL be limited to the fruit that is in season doing this (rather than what is grown for commercial purposes) but you can bet your *ss that it will be fresh!!

I am sure there will be an Early Morning 'farmers market' somewhere in Sosua - check out Rocky's & ask the question (whilst having a beer or two)! ~ Grahame.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Great Idea....I wish I could tell which loud speaker presentation is for what.

One guy does metal pick up, another for fruits and vegetables and on and on.

That was funny G

The only street vendor you need to watch for (& avoid) is the one calling out 'Wiki, wiki, tres pasitos' - the first is dye (not whisky or wikipedia) & the second is rat poison. Honestly. It's the combination which makes the mind boggle......dead rats of every shade & hue.

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
Don't know where that came from..or the reason why?

The knocking of the fruit off the tree works and the crossing over the wall to grab a laptop also works.

When they knock the mangoes off the tree on their side of the fence they keep them, but when the fruit they knock off the trees lands in our yard the Rats come and eat them and are thus subject to the colors of Hue....

Are We Ok Here????

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
Mangoes are in season. Get a long stick to knock them out of the trees.

If you rent a car don't park under mango trees.

krwilson

Apr 18, 2008
Good fruit and vegetables can be bought at a little place just down Pedro Clisante, a few stores past Super Super. Much better quality and freshness than Playero for example. There is always a guy with his truck selling mangos on the side of the main road about half way between Sosua and Los Charamicos. Also a very good fruit/vegetable stand on the right side of the main road heading towards Sosua, just before Terramar Estates, in Sosua Abajo.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.