Constanza Blocked

Jan 3, 2003
I was told that the road to Constanza (El Abanico) from Autopista Duarte has been blocked by massive downpours bringing down sediment on the roads. Does anyone have any concrete info. on this situation?

Sep 19, 2005
you could only hope those boulders are stopped by trees lower down the mountain rather than someone house .
heck they might just end up on the road again further on down!!!

bob

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
It was in yesterday's news...

A huge crack appeared in the mountainside at Km 5+890 and they decided to close it down.

Problem is complex: A mix of geology and rain, tied together with a lack of money to cut the mountainside back sufficiently so that the slope is not so steep, which would greatly reduce the sloughing of the mountainside.

HB

Jan 3, 2003
Problem is complex: A mix of geology and rain, tied together with a lack of money to cut the mountainside back sufficiently so that the slope is not so steep, which would greatly reduce the sloughing of the mountainside.HB
Even if they take those measures as you state, wouldn't the problem continue due to deforestation?

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Obviously, deforestation is a major issue, but a replanting of the hillside is possible with rapid growth trees (like some of the ones along the Duarte Highway), and this would stabilize and avoid erosion to some degree.

this has all been done in the States and Europe where landslides and snowslides are important issues...

The technology is available. Question is: Is the money and political will???

HB

Sep 19, 2005
unless you are talking about near the top of the mountain.cutting back the slope is difficult because the mountain keeps going up..the more you cut the slope down the more of an eventual shear wall you will end up with.

they need to terrace the steep hillside on the turns or problem areas.

this cant cost that much money....the labor is litterally dirt cheap

bad bob

tjmurray

Bronze
Aug 11, 2006
Can anyone give an update on the road to Constanza? I will be traveling to Valle Nuevo on Saturday and I've heard some conflicting reports.