should i visit Santiago

alaska1986

Hello we are a family (me 23, brother 17, mom 43) staying at the Marien Oasis Resort in Puerto Plata and have tours/excursions planned and we are in the D.R. for 11 days. We already plan to visit Santo Domingo (via Metro Tours) for 2 days and have plenty of things planned in the zona colonial,etc and wanted to see whether it was worth it or would we stretch ourselves thin by visiting Santiago. My concern is that we don't have transportation (thought it would be less stressful/hectic without it considering this is our first time there) and wanted to know if we'd be very limited in what we could do in Santiago? It seems that in Santo Domingo most of the main attractions are within walking distance (thus we have decided to cut out the middle man tour group and do the trip ourselves). Any help would be greatly appreciated (many of you know how hard it is to find addresses and try and use google earth when you've never been to a place b4).

Thanks in advance

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
The only thing I know of worth seeing in Santiago (and that's only because I have limited knowledge of Santiago) is the Monumento.

If your there, it's well worth the visit. You might even be able to "propina" one of the attendents and go up the last section of monument - which is closed off to the public right now. Some great views of the city.

And stop by (or stay) Hotel Matum. Right across from the Monumento. Brush up on your 1963 history first. I have heard there is still some bullet holes somewhere in the hotel, but have not seen them myself.

May 12, 2005
There is also the Centro Leon. A good place to learn about some of the rich history of DR. Just keep in mind one thing, Santiago is not geared towards the casual tourist so other than the Monumento and the place I mentioned there is not much else to see. One more piece of advice, if you are going to walk around Santiago, leave the shorts home and if going to Centro Leon, a collared shirt and long pants are pretty much a must for the men.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Frank know what he is talking about.

There are a few things you can see, it all depends on how comfortable your are walking areound without a guide.

HOw: Metro to Santiago, early, like 7 a,m.

1) taxi to Centro Leon (RD$150)
2) Taxi to Tomas Morel Folklore Museum on Resaturaci?n
3) Walk over to Duarte Park: go back up Restauraci?n to 20 de marzo (where the light is), turn right two blocks to the park. On the corner of the first block is Hotel Mercedes what used to be THE hotel of Santiago...beautiful old building faling to ruin...
4) Go see the Cathedral
5) Go see the Casa de Arte (just ask in the park and tip one of the shoeshine boys to guide you ($10 pesos) It is one block down and a 1/2 block over from the west side of the park.
6) walk up Sol street, people gaze and window shop. On your right side will be the Mercado Modelo, full of knick knacks tor taking home.
7) You are hungry. Walk up to the park in front of the big white church withtwin steeples. Across the street (on your left) is the Pez Dorado, Santiago's restaurant.
If you are dressed properly: Women jeans or a skirt, top: Men pants shoes and collared shirt (polo shirt if fine) go in and eat. Usually one dish will feed two normal people...so don't order too much. (They do prepare "doggy bags" for later.. we use them a lot!.

Do take a light sweater for the bus and Pex Dorado,,,I think they cure meat in there at night!!

When you go in you can ask for Jorgito at the cash register....shows you know where you are...Tell them I sent you....

That should do a day, and you will have seen a city that most never get to see.

Oh yes, you can eat lunch at the cafeteria at the Centro Leon....very good food.

It should be in time for the last but to POP...taxi back to Metro ($125 if you use EMI taxi--809 581 3000, or ask the cashier to do it for you,,

have fun...

HB