Permanent Residency to US took 1 1/2 months!

holita

Jun 6, 2006
Hey Guys,

Just wanted to say my hubby has been approved for this Permanent Resodency...we did the CR1 visa, and from start to finish it was 6 weeks! We did it through Direct Consular Filing, because I live here in the DR and I am both a Dominican and American Citizen! So, we will be moving in the next few weeks!!!

Just wanted to let everyone know! It was super easy and super fast!;)

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Wow that is amazing.

Reading further on CR1, it's a conditional PR visa

What Is Conditional Residence?
If you have been married for less than two years when your spouse enters the United States on an immigrant visa, the permanent resident status is considered “conditional.” The immigrant visa is a CR ( conditional resident ) visa, not an IR ( immediate relative ) visa.
You and your spouse must apply together to the Department of Homeland Security's U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) to remove the “condition” within the ninety days before the two year anniversary of your spouse’s entry into the United States on an immigrant visa. The two-year anniversary date of entry is the date of expiration on the alien registration card (green card). See How Do I Remove the Conditions on Permanent Residence Based on Marriage?

Taken from Immigrant Visa for a Spouse (IR1 or CR1)

holita

Jun 6, 2006
yep it is PR with Conditional Status...as long as we stay married nad living in US, he will become a PR without Conditional Status. But, even if you have the conditional Status, you are still a PR!!!;)

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
What I think is great about this route is that the sponsoring spouse doesn't have to remove the condition in cases of marriage fraud or the spouse turns into an abusive person and then the immigrant can be removed from the country, correct?

Ellie2008

Aug 8, 2008
I agree....this process makes complete sense....you are not away from your loved ones for long periods of time, as well the sponsor is still somewhat protected in the event of a possible visa fraud....i like it.....CANADA IMMIGRATION...are you reading this?? :)

Fiesta Mama

Bronze
Jan 28, 2004
That's so exciting and lucky!

There was some discussion in the past few months about how to make the Canadian PR privilege better so spouses are not stuck with supporting bad faith spouses and this would be a great way. I also read a column by an immigration lawyer in a Toronto paper just this week that he thinks Canada should bring the fianc? visa back, which was discontinued several years ago, as it apparently had certain conditions similar to U.S. immigration.