Main Highway... Sosua to Nagua

Status
Not open for further replies.

KikoPresidente

Mar 20, 2009
To the experienced drivers and vets here. Thanks in advance for your help.
How is the main roads' condition from Sosua to Nagua? Pretty easy drive considering? Road in decent shape?

Any info/advice would be much appreciated.

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
To the experienced drivers and vets here. Thanks in advance for your help.
How is the main roads' condition from Sosua to Nagua? Pretty easy drive considering? Road in decent shape?

Any info/advice would be much appreciated.

I think it is one of the easiest to navigate. Has little traffic, and once you leave the W-Cabarette area, you'll be less likely to face some of the crazier drivers.
Very scenic road. Beautiful landscape ever changing every 10 to 20 miles. Yet, try to keep you eyes on the road. The road is pretty good, but yes, pot holes are regionally abundant. Try to look faaaaar ahead. Monitor small roads and other entries for traffic "jumping" onto the main road. Locals have a funny concept of right of way.
DO NOT drive before or after sunlight!
Keep your vehicle fueled up (some gas stations may run out of gas!).
Drive at a reasonable pace. Not fast but not too slow either. Monitor the traffic coming from behind. Keep your DRL on at all time.

... J-D.

I think it is one of the easiest to navigate. Has little traffic, and once you leave the W-Cabarette area, you'll be less likely to face some of the crazier drivers.
Very scenic road. Beautiful landscape ever changing every 10 to 20 miles. Yet, try to keep you eyes on the road. The road is pretty good, but yes, pot holes are regionally abundant. Try to look faaaaar ahead. Monitor small roads and other entries for traffic "jumping" onto the main road. Locals have a funny concept of right of way.
DO NOT drive before or after sunlight!
Keep your vehicle fueled up (some gas stations may run out of gas!).
Drive at a reasonable pace. Not fast but not too slow either. Monitor the traffic coming from behind. Keep your DRL on at all time.

... J-D.

Great advise but may I add please drive slow between Gaspar Hernandez and Rio Sanjuan because there are many pot holes strategically placed so when avoid one you go right into another and some of them will blow your tires out if you are traveling a little to fast (personal experience) Also some of the pot holes are not easily seen because the road is lined with palm trees and there shade covers some nasty pot holes. Other than that this is one of my favorite drives in the DR, I will get up some mornings and drive out to Nagua for some lunch on the beach and relax a little and drive back to Sosua in evening, only draw back is the road between Gaspar Hernadez and Rio Sanjuan.

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
THanks for the info JD

How long of a trip is this? Time wise that is....???

First of all, please heed Badpiece's advice. Yes, there are some stretches which are "famous" for pot holes. Even more disturbing is that there are some stretches which have more pot holes on one side of the street, which leads to locals happily "invading" the other side (the one you are coming on) with quite some "authority".
Look AHEAD, far ahead!

I haven't done that road for 1 1/2 year. Things change (deteriorate) fast here.

When I usually do it, it's when we have visitors and I'd take'em out to Samana/Las Terrenas. With all the pee stops and sight seeing it usually takes me about 4 hrs from POP to LT. Nagua would, at that pace be at least one less hour. Dominican tigueres (local mediacl term for brain dead), claim to do that in 1 hr only. By the way you will be passed (fly by) you will be inclined to entertain the possibility.... :D

... J-D.

Status
Not open for further replies.