Drinks 2 Try @ Resorts

RichMoneymaker

Jul 1, 2006
This is somewhat of a revisited topic that I had a while back. Just wanted to know from some of the novice to seasonsed travellers what drinks (cocktails) should we give a go-round when we visit the D.R next week. ex. Banana Mama, Coco loco. Im trying to make as extensive drink list as possible and see how far through the list we can make it. Any help is appreciated
Cheers
~Rich

pedrochemical

Silver
Aug 22, 2008
I admire your commitment to the alcoholic arts - this really is a fine approach to drinking.
Rather than just plow in willynilly as most people do - as a serious imbiber you need to have a definite plan.
We should instill this methodology in our young people.

Always have a plan.

Cuba Libre - rum and coke
Santo Libre rum and sprite
Sosua Libre - rum, orange, grenadine

Good luck sir.
And may you get thoroughly schnozzled.

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
A friend in the capital was served up some shooters called 'tu maldita madre'. Perhaps worth a try. He thought they were good (at the time)... unfortunately, the next morning he couldn't recall what the heck was in them. In fact, it's probably a wonder he remembered having them at all. ;)

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
The majority of drinks at the resorts are rum based with different mixers and juices...just ask for a list and start checking them off... don't forget shots of mamajuana! If you stick with all rum based your less likely to get a hangover vs. throwing in tequila/vodka/gin, etc.

Also...try mixing in a few batidas...which are fruit shakes without alcohol...when you find the combos you like (chinola(passion fruit)/mango/fresa(strawberry), etc.)...just have them add some rum and make up your own frozen cocktails ;)

El Tigre

El Tigre de DR1 - Moderator
Jan 23, 2003
You know...on the topic of drinks at resorts...I was at the Iberostar Puerto Plata some time ago and I felt as if the alcohol wasn't strong enough. I kept drinking scotch on the rocks which was the only thing that got me tipsy.

Do they intentionally water down the alcohol or what? All of us in the group noticed this.

RichMoneymaker

Jul 1, 2006
i was kinda hoping i could make my own little list. Im going there with my girlfriend and her best friend. Somehow I see myself as the third wheel and im gonna need something to do whilest they are about doing their girly thing. Please Please anyone feel free to throw in their favs.

jmiranda31

Jun 25, 2009
When going at nightclubs specially at Santo Domingo It is important what kind of drink do I request? Beer or Johnny walker,Buy a bottle or single drinks. How the regular dominican interpret or assume based of what are yoy drinking. Status simbol?

RichMoneymaker

Jul 1, 2006
I guess we were just gonna ask for different drinks 1 by 1 and see which ones we liked. Some that I have on a list are:
coco loco, banana mama, mojitos, pina colada, cuba libre, santo libre, sousa libre, mamajuana, please feel free to follow suit and add to the list please. we leave saturday night!