B1 or B2 Status Visa from US?

Drro

Bronze
Mar 22, 2006
I was just told by Jet Blue that if I stay in the DR (from the US) for more than 3 months I need a B1 or B2 statis visa if I don't have a round trip ticket. However, Jet Blue isn't ticketing as far out as I want to make reservations for.

Is this Visa stuff true? If so, where do you get it?

I do not have a cedula, and am here 88 days now.

Is this a visa or the tourist card?

Any clarification would be appreciated.

Thanks.

TheHun

May 4, 2008
Did you started your residency in the DR? If you did you can obtain a receipt from the immigration and you are covered.
The Hun

Yayow

Sep 4, 2007
Even if you haven't you have to pay a small fine, when you depart at the airport, if you have overstayed. About a year ago I left after being in country for about 9 months straight, and all it amounted to was a 500 rd fine or so, I don't believe it has changed as of yet. So just have some pesos with you when you depart.

Drro

Bronze
Mar 22, 2006
I understand the fee charged upon departure, and no I'm not in the cedula process.

This seerms to be more about coming in from the US on a one way ticket.

By the way the new fee is up to 30 months $RD800 and after 3 months toa year I think is 1000 pesos. And it's strongly suggested to have the correct amount in hand.

When I leave I will have been here 88 days and will have 800 pesos to hand them.

Yayow

Sep 4, 2007
Thank you for the correction in price, it was over a year ago, and I didn't recall the exact amount, but as far as I was concerned it was nominal. As far as arriving from the U.S. with a one way ticket, I don't think it can be done unless you are a resident of D.R., otherwise you have to show proof of returning or continuing on elsewhere.

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
Can you book a refundable ticket on another airline? If you can prove that you have return arrangements made, even if it isn't with them, they should let you board without trouble.

I often book Jet Blue one way and Continental the other because of flight arrival times. It has never been a problem, but I do make certain to have a copy of the receipt/itinerary when I check in.

Drro

Bronze
Mar 22, 2006
I have done the same, made reservations with two one ways but in fact it tells them I'm leaving the country. Truth be told, I've neve been asked but I don't want to take the chance.

I could book for as far out as they go and they change the reservation for $100 which I don't want to do.

i'm going to call Jet Blue again tomotrow when they're not on a skeleton crew and see if they have better information. I wanted to use a free tivket with an open return - don't know if they do that anymore.