Diplomatic Passport

mattm

Feb 28, 2007
Does the D.R. require visas for holders of a Diplomatic Passport visiting for vacation?

El_Uruguayo

Bronze
Dec 7, 2006
Nah, no problem, canadians don't need visas, just tourist cards. You might need a tourist card, but in my dad's case, he holds a Dip. Can. Passport, he came to visit, and they let him through no questions when they saw it was diplomatic, even though they probably shouldn't have, as he was not on diplomatic mission here.

mattm

Feb 28, 2007
Thanks. I wonder if anyone knows if the above mentioned situation was really just a mistake on the border guard's part...

TheHun

May 4, 2008
In worst case you just need a US$ 10 tourist card. No visa required for CA, US, EU citizens. As it was said, if they see your Dip.Pass. they will let you through without a tourist card and w/o checking your suitcases.
If you really want to play legal, you just buy one - that is all you need.
Enjoy your stay!
The Hun

mattm

Feb 28, 2007
Ah, ok. I ask because it seems a lot of countries require a visa for all dip passports. This is good, one less errand :)

FireGuy

Rest in peace Amigo!
Aug 21, 2002
www.polaris-fs.com
Also please remember that as long as your flight is non-stop from Canada to the DR you don't need a passport of any kind (yet). It is still acceptable for Canadians (non-PR) to travel to the DR with a birth certificate and driver's license.

Gregg

viajar

Feb 19, 2009
Just a bit curious why someone with a diplomatic passport needs to find out information from this source. You don't by chance work for canadian citizenship and immigration do you.

El_Uruguayo

Bronze
Dec 7, 2006
Could be he works for DFAIT, or is the son of a diplomat. Plus you must admit, DR1 is a pretty good source for this info.

mattm

Feb 28, 2007
I do not hold a diplomatic passport. A friend, who is stationed overseas does and I am planning a group holiday for us. I like to be complete in my arrangements :)

Don't worry, I'm not some sneaky big brother agent type.

mattm

Feb 28, 2007
Could be he works for DFAIT, or is the son of a diplomat. Plus you must admit, DR1 is a pretty good source for this info.

DR1 is by far the best source of info on practical matters related to DR tourism, IMHO. Great community, helpful folks. Love it.

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
most people who hold a diplomatic passport also hold a regular passport for tourist purposes. that way your diplomatic passport is not littered with stamps of countries you visited for non-diplomatic purposes which could get your passport pulled. hopefully you are not using your diplomatic passport for purposes other than intended reasons. also understand that a diplomatic passport and diplomatic immunity don't necessarily go together if you're thinking along those lines.
i'm not an expert on how all countries do diplomatic passports but i would advise you to get a regular passport.

mattm

Feb 28, 2007
Thanks Kyle.

It's most likely that this individual will travel with his birth certificate and driver's license. I'd forgot all about that option.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Thanks Kyle.

It's most likely that this individual will travel with his birth certificate and driver's license. I'd forgot all about that option.

This is no longer an option for US travelers, it may or may not be an option for Canadian travelers?

FireGuy

Rest in peace Amigo!
Aug 21, 2002
www.polaris-fs.com
I believe it is still OK as long as you are not coming through the US.

That option is still valid on non-stop flights from Canada to the DR BUT it like all options are subject to change at the whim of either our or the DR governments. Having said that I know of no contemplated change.

Gregg

El_Uruguayo

Bronze
Dec 7, 2006
True, but how many people knew of the contemplated change with Mexico, and the requirement for visas for mexicans going into Canada. They just announced that people had 2 days grace and could apply for visas in canada, if later, had to secure a visa at the embassy or consulates, sending thousands scrambling to get visas. Its better to err on the safe side.