few questions concerning DR

Status
Not open for further replies.

postalprix

Jun 26, 2009
I am not sure if this is put in the right spot on the boards, so forgive me if i made a mistake. I have been to the country a few times, and all at AI resorts. I have made many trips to puerto rico and knowing my surroundings i am pretty safe. I was all set for my trip to santiago because i see on here that you cant see DR if you stay at the AI's. Actually you are somewhat teased. LOL My point being is that i read alot on the borards and you are are very imformative. Upon reading more today about the crime there and such, which isnt much different than here in the states, i am actually nervous about the trip. Going solo, no not into men, and not looking for women of the night. With all the natural resources in that country, my question to many of you that live there is WHAT THE H**L is going on down there with that nitwit govt. I live in a area that has thousands of Dom. people, matter of fact the restaurant i go to is called the puerto plata restaurant. I get many looks when there from the Doms eating but i dont care because A-I dont put myself in a nervous way and act like I belong and B- I know the police wont tolerate crime. I know the post is long, but i am nervous about my trip because i have no fears bout my safety if i am in the right area, but what freaks me out is the possibility of the police either not doing a damn thing or actually shaking me down or locking me up because i have have GRINGO written on my forehead. Last thing is as i was told in PR last time is that they want independance but they say to me that they do not want to become a new DR........ am i to fear the police in the metro santiago area is basically what i am asking LOL sorry

El Tigre

El Tigre de DR1 - Moderator
Jan 23, 2003
Oh come on Zeus be nice!

If you have all those worries about traveling then you shouldn't travel. As long as you stay in the city and don't go to dangerous barrios you will be fine.

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
How about you stay in Puerto Rico then, for some reason you seem to give their opinions a lot of weight.

Yayow

Sep 4, 2007
I have visited there too

I have visited P.R. also, and in my opinion, I feel safer in the D.R., I am talking about the main areas, where if you are visiting more than likely you will be. That is my opinion, but since you have spent so much time there in P. R. your feelings may be completely different than mine.

I have lived in D.R. for over two years now, and I have never experienced a problem, I also don't go or act stupidly in the wrong place either.

Gelmi-an

Aug 26, 2003
Say wut??...More holes than swiss cheese but I'll play along.

-You wont get lock up for being a "GRINGO", All tourist are always welcome with open arms, it is a tourist destination for Chist sake. locals go out of their way to make tourist feel comfortable. think US southern hospitality.
-Much less ,if any, harrasing for money since you will be dealing with the locals and not the AI lechees.
-using common sense will keep you safe in DR,US,South America,Europe etc.. for example: jhonny goes to a ghetto part of town at 3:00 am, alone flashing jewelry and cash. A-will he get kill, A-will he get robbed or A-all of the above.
-Dont fear the police....unless you are coming here with the intention of committing a crime.

We only live once, i say go ahead and do it.

I need sleep.

pedrochemical

Silver
Aug 22, 2008
The risk, the danger, the wildness, the romance, the adventure...
That is all part of the Caribbean 2 week holiday experience - if you do it right!

Otherwise people would all go somewhere boring. Like Turks and Caicos ;)

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Actually today, I saw police rounding up gringos on the street and locking them up. Exit fee from jail was 500 dollars. The gringo women were being raped in jails and then sold to nearby whore house for a week of public service. Thanks god I am not white so no one knew I was a foreigner. A gay gringo really got it up the A$$ for just wearing shorts. Wow, I would hate to be in this country with gringo written all over my face. I am using boot polish tomorrow to mix in well with the haitians.
AZB

Reactions: ExtremeR

postalprix

Jun 26, 2009
what a "'''

Well i cant write want i want i asked questions that most of your dr1 people have had on the pages.... I mean unless i got lost in translation but it is a 3rd or slipping to 4th world country. is it not? god damn what nitwits... better to ask than not no? asked about police because in POP they were busting chops the first time, got tipped off to wear baseball shirts the next time, did that and had no problems.... just questions about my ****ty mets........ so the next time you goofs want to be A$$es just answer , or dont but ease up on the comments

margaret

Bronze
Aug 9, 2006
Actually today, I saw police rounding up gringos on the street and locking them up. Exit fee from jail was 500 dollars. The gringo women were being raped in jails and then sold to nearby whore house for a week of public service. Thanks god I am not white so no one knew I was a foreigner. A gay gringo really got it up the A$$ for just wearing shorts. Wow, I would hate to be in this country with gringo written all over my face. I am using boot polish tomorrow to mix in well with the haitians.
AZB

Two glasses of merlot and you are really funny.... where am I in the Clown Bin?

Funwhileserving

Jan 12, 2009
We missed the gringo round up last week. Probably just as well. Anyway, in Santo Domingo, I walked around by my self as did others in my group. We were all pretty sick of eachother by the time we got to Santo Domingo. I felt perfectly safe. I walked with confidence, and said hello to THE POLICE ON EVERY SINGLE CORNER. I saw police hastling a wasted skinny girl, but that was it. Some in our group stayed out until 2:00 a.m. and made it home safe. The went to the Bed Bar and Hard Rock Cafe. Drinking age is 18 there.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
We missed the gringo round up last week. Probably just as well. Anyway, in Santo Domingo, I walked around by my self as did others in my group. We were all pretty sick of eachother by the time we got to Santo Domingo. I felt perfectly safe. I walked with confidence, and said hello to THE POLICE ON EVERY SINGLE CORNER. I saw police hastling a wasted skinny girl, but that was it. Some in our group stayed out until 2:00 a.m. and made it home safe. The went to the Bed Bar and Hard Rock Cafe. Drinking age is 18 there.
There ya go: missionaries coming to the DR to help the poooor and then going to the most expensive bar on the island to party.

Rock on!

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Postal: You'll be OK. The interior is probably a lost safer than the coastal (touristy) cities. If you really stand out then you may get hassled a bit by some people asking you for money, you may be overcharged, or stuff like that but I think if you don't walk around looking like a victim and of course don't be going to ghettos if you don't know what they are about your chances of getting into any trouble are no higher than any other place in The US.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Postal, I, too, have a gringo/gringa stamp on my forehead. I've been going to DR at least once a year for several weeks - since 1975. Been all over the island. Shopped in fancy malls and mercados, supermarkets and colmados. Have eaten in nice restaurants, in local places, chicken joints and local take outs. Never stayed in an AI [unless you count one night in Bavaro when we went to meet friends from Italy who were staying there). Never have had anything remotely resembling a problem. Never feared for my life.

You'll be fine. Enjoy.

Funwhileserving

Jan 12, 2009
Geez, you guys are tough. We did mission work for 5 days in the Bateys and then spent 4 days as tourists. How many days have you spent in the Bateys this summer? How may latrines have you built? How many Batey babies have you held and played with? Why can't missionaries relax and enjoy themselves without being called hypocrites?

Thandie

Bronze
Nov 27, 2007
Why can't missionaries relax and enjoy themselves without being called hypocrites?

Most REASONABLE people see nothing wrong with that.
All human beings enjoy some relaxtion.
Ignore those on the board who will try to bait you into an arguement'flame war, soley based on your religious beliefs.
Read their posts and you will see they are the BIGGEST hypocrites.

pedrochemical

Silver
Aug 22, 2008
Some people just really object to religion when people do not do the decent thing and keep it to themselves.
Some people find it bloody offensive.

Status
Not open for further replies.