buen pan

Status
Not open for further replies.

granca

Bronze
Aug 20, 2007
What is the vegetable "buen pan" called in english? Had some boiled today no complaints but it did not have much flavour.

Marianopolita

Former Spanish forum Mod 2010-2021
Dec 26, 2003
Several names in Spanish...

granca,

Check out this link and the vegetable called pana. If that's what you are referring to then it's bread fruit.

http://promos.elnuevodia.com/demos/Mazola/mazola.pdf

Buen pan is also bread fruit and it has several different names in Spanish. It varies by country. It was first brought to the Caribbean during colonization (aka slavery) and became a key staple vegetable in many islands principally Jamaica but can be found and eaten by the locals in the Bahamas, DR, Puerto Rico, St. Vincent,Trinidad and other islands. A lot of West Indians eat bread fruit in general.

Buen pan is the DR name but I don't call it that. I call it pana (Puerto Rico). Other common names are: panap?n and fruta del pan.

~Marianopolita.

granca

Bronze
Aug 20, 2007
Thanks Marianopolita, at least I know what I?m eating now. I found the page you directed me to very interesting and have bookmarked it.

El Tigre

El Tigre de DR1 - Moderator
Jan 23, 2003
Granca,

You ate something I have been wanting to eat in the DR for ages. I ate this once as a kid and have been wanting to try it for a long time. However, they tell me there is a season for this like there is for everything else. I ask in the markets and they tell me that it is not in season when I'm there.

One question: was the shell black? The one on the link above is green. The buen pan I ate had a black shell and the inside was white.

Thanks.

granca

Bronze
Aug 20, 2007
The one we ate had a green skin with white inside, they would appear to be in season now as the neighbour who gave it to us said he picked it off a tree. Yesterday, however; I did see them for sale in dominican fruit & veg shops here in LT. maybe like platanos they eventually go black. Good luck El Tigre.

Mar 2, 2008
Some will recall from the movie, "Mutiny on the Bounty" that bread fruit plants is what they had to jetison, and that bringing back bread fruit plants was the primary reason for their voyage.

Status
Not open for further replies.