flying with newborn from the US

nikke

Sep 19, 2005
I have an American friend who will be giving birth in the US but would like to come to the DR within a month of giving birth. She did that before with her first child but this time, she hears that there are certain vaccines that the baby must have now before he/she flies and that she may have to wait until the baby is 3 months old.

The details she has are very sketchy and I've offered to post/search here to see if anyone knows anything about this. A friend of her family told her this was due to the H1N1 virus, but my understanding is that there is no vaccine for it yet anyway.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
The vaccination is supposed to be available in September.

I know that every time we took our kids to DR, and they went from when they were just a couple of months old until adulthood, their pediatrician would check for us and they would have to get some sort of shots and/or pills. They sometimes got more than someone just going to a resort, because we go out into the campo and drive throughout the country, so their exposure to things like mosquitoes was raised. At different times there were problems with malaria, denque fever, etc. They got extra hepatitis B shots before it was normal too.

Just tell her to check with her pediatrician to be sure. For example, I've heard there's a mumps outbreak in parts of DR right now, but I'm sure the baby will have the MMR.

And if her husband.boyfriend isn't travelling with her, check into whether she needs a signed document from him to bring the baby alone. I know someone who had a terrible time at the airport and missed her flight.

nikke

Sep 19, 2005
Thanks

Well my friend has everything sorted out for the flight including papers should she travel alone etc. it's just the possibility of this new "restriction" of 3 months is concering her.

I will pass on the information. Thank you!