Whats the tip...?

SteveS

Apr 15, 2008
Ok, I'd like to get a feel for what everyone is tipping these days for different things. We had this conversation last night with a group of friends and well.... the answers were wildly different.

So we have...

Bagging kids as the super

Valet drivers at the bar/restaurant

Waiter in a restaurant - just a drink/full meal

Kid/old man "watching" your car for a few hours

The guy who just washed your car

(for the wife) The salon - washer / stylist / nails

The window washers at the street corner - when you ask/when you say no and they do it anyway

In fact, it seems I give away a hell of a lot of small change, and it mounts up....

So over to the board, opinions people....

(sorry for the title, should read what's the tip...., having a bad day...)

Ok, I'd like to get a feel for what everyone is tipping these days for different things. We had this conversation last night with a group of friends and well.... the answers were wildly different.

So we have...

Bagging kids as the superususally 25 pesos or so.

Valet drivers at the bar/restaurant25-50 pesos

Waiter in a restaurant - just a drink/full meal10-15% of the bill

Kid/old man "watching" your car for a few hours25-50 pesos

The guy who just washed your car25-50 pesos

(for the wife) The salon - washer / stylist / nailshave no idea?

The window washers at the street corner - when you ask/when you say no and they do it anywayNothing

In fact, it seems I give away a hell of a lot of small change, and it mounts up....

(sorry for the title, should read what's the tip...., having a bad day...)[/QUOTE]

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Bagging kids as the superususally 25 pesos or so.

Valet drivers at the bar/restaurant25-50 pesos

Waiter in a restaurant - just a drink/full meal10-15% of the bill

Kid/old man "watching" your car for a few hours25-50 pesos

The guy who just washed your car25-50 pesos

(for the wife) The salon - washer / stylist / nailshave no idea?

The window washers at the street corner - when you ask/when you say no and they do it anywayNothing

[/QUOTE]

Badpiece, I have to agree with everything you posted, sounds like exactly what we do. I've never gone to a salon in DR so can't comment on that one either.

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
sorry but im not tipping everytime I have my bags packed - sometimes I tip and sometimes I dont

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
sorry but im not tipping everytime I have my bags packed - sometimes I tip and sometimes I dont

I'll clarify my post - if they just pack we don't always tip, but if they bring it out to the car and pack the groceries into the trunk, we always do....

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
Bagging kids as the super - 10-15 pesos to young men who bag shopping and take it to the car

Valet drivers at the bar/restaurant - dunno

Waiter in a restaurant - just a drink/full meal - about 10% of the bill. nothing if service was lousy

Kid/old man "watching" your car for a few hours - 20 pesos

The guy who just washed your car - dunno, miesposo's workers wash it for free

(for the wife) The salon - washer / stylist / nails - about 20-50 pesos. i do not tip in the salon because da boss herself does my hair but i slip a note to the girl who washes my hair and a note to the girl who does my nails. sometimes i give nothing if i have no change

The window washers at the street corner - when you ask/when you say no and they do it anyway - nothing. if you need them to wash the window then no more than 5 pesos.

i guess i am stingy but i hate when folks take advantage of me just because i am a gringa.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Bagging kids as the super - RD$10

Valet drivers at the bar/restaurant - RD$25

Waiter in a restaurant - just a drink/full meal - RD$50-100 and that depends.

Kid/old man "watching" your car for a few hours - Nothing

The guy who just washed your car - If I didn't ask, nothing.

(for the wife) The salon - washer / stylist / nails - RD$50-100

The window washers at the street corner - when you ask/when you say no and they do it anyway - If I ask, RD$5. If they do it anyway, nothing.

Campesina

Sep 12, 2004
Just for info, the bag boys at Playero in sosua are not paid by Playero. They get tips, only. 10 to 25 pesos depending on the amount of work and the weather!

Black Dog

Bronze
May 29, 2009
I'm about on par with badpiece and I have to agree that if you kept an accurate record over six months it would probably scare you to death LOL Having said that, I don't begrudge it, honest!

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
Bagging kids as the super - 10-15 pesos to young men who bag shopping and take it to the car

Valet drivers at the bar/restaurant - dunno

Waiter in a restaurant - just a drink/full meal - about 10% of the bill. nothing if service was lousy

Kid/old man "watching" your car for a few hours - 20 pesos

The guy who just washed your car - dunno, miesposo's workers wash it for free

(for the wife) The salon - washer / stylist / nails - about 20-50 pesos. i do not tip in the salon because da boss herself does my hair but i slip a note to the girl who washes my hair and a note to the girl who does my nails. sometimes i give nothing if i have no change

The window washers at the street corner - when you ask/when you say no and they do it anyway - nothing. if you need them to wash the window then no more than 5 pesos.

i guess i am stingy but i hate when folks take advantage of me just because i am a gringa.

Damn, you lady are sure taca?a..Don't you get nasty looks when you give those coins to them??

One thing I learned is that I'm going to give out a little amount it is better to give them nothing, at least they will have a reason to complain (not that they have the right, I know).

Black Dog

Bronze
May 29, 2009
I thought dv8's tips looked OK! When I was at POP I was just loading my friends bags into my car and an old man appeared to take the trolley away. I gave him a 25 peso coin and he gave me a mouthfull of abuse so I took the coin back and told him where to "park" the trolley!

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
Bagging kids as the super - RD$25

Valet drivers at the bar/restaurant - It depends where..if it is at a nice place $100, if not $50

Waiter in a restaurant - just a drink/full meal - $40 pesos minimum, after that the 15% of the bill.

Kid/old man "watching" your car for a few hours - 10-15 Pesos, those guys are thieves themselves and like to complain for everything, if they complain I tell them to f^% off.

The guy who just washed your car - If I didn't ask, nothing, if I asked and he made a good job $100.

(for the wife) The salon - washer / stylist / nails - Don't know

The window washers at the street corner - when you ask/when you say no and they do it anyway - If I didn't ask I turn my wipers on and tell them "compadre, ute' si e' freco". If I want them to clean it $25.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002

So we have...I have lived here too long and this is what I'd tip:

Bagging kids as the super: $20 to each if its a big load, like at PriceSmart

Valet drivers at the bar/restaurant: Don't go there

Waiter in a restaurant - just a drink/full meal 10-15% according to service

Kid/old man "watching" your car for a few hours: 10-20$, as much as $50

The guy who just washed your car: Did I ask him? $125, if not, $50

(for the wife) The salon - washer / stylist / nails: $20

The window washers at the street corner - when you ask/when you say no and they do it anyway: If I ask: $5, if not $0.00!!

You gotta remember that ol' HB has been here so long, he kinda knows the ploys...and Dominicans know about money....A car lot in Santiago charges $20 and hour, so you eat a two hour meal, give the guy $40 or $50 if he is watching it on the street. Stuff like that...On a "hot" corner with 1000s of cars a day and you get 100 or 200 to give you $$ for windo washes??? = a lot of tax free coin...

(sorry for the title, should read what's the tip...., having a bad day...)

So be nice, be firm and be wise..

HB

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
I thought dv8's tips looked OK! When I was at POP I was just loading my friends bags into my car and an old man appeared to take the trolley away. I gave him a 25 peso coin and he gave me a mouthfull of abuse so I took the coin back and told him where to "park" the trolley!

Well done, I like to tip well, but if some guy come with a sense of entitlement I tell them to go to hell and threaten them to meterlo preso. Don't recommend the part of "meterlo preso" to a tourist but sure tell them what you think.

Maybe it is because in POP things are different than in SD, but I founded those sum very irrisory and if you try to get away with those amounts in the SD you will always be in a constant argument with those people.

jerseygirl22

Jan 6, 2009
Bagging kids as the super- 10 pesos if he just bagged, 20-25 if he took it to the car

Valet drivers at the bar/restaurant- never done that

Waiter in a restaurant - just a drink/full meal- 10-15%

Kid/old man "watching" your car for a few hours- i hate giving money to these people! they do nothing $25

The guy who just washed your car- idk my dad gets people to wash my car

(for the wife) The salon - washer / stylist / nails- depends of the change they give me and what did i do to my hair blow dry my hair- $25 color cut and style $100

The window washers at the street corner - when you ask/when you say no and they do it anyway if i want it clean 5 if i didn't ask i just turn on my wipers until they give up.

El_Uruguayo

Bronze
Dec 7, 2006
The car parkers do squat, but I guess the act of pretending to do something is worth I dunno, $10, $20. As far as I'm concerned he's probably making more money than a billingual university kid working at a call center. One guy tried telling me that it was $50 to park in La Zona Col. I told him the fee was whatever I felt like giving him. But in some instances they work in a shady way, an example at bonches or concerts - they will photocopy some papers that say its $200 to park on the street! With what right? I argued this and the response was "si no pagas, no somos responsables de su carro". Translation: "if you don't pay were responsable for whatever damage/theft happens to your car." One of the many thigs to add to the wishlist for cops to crackdown on.

The rest, window wash, shoe shine, at least its some sort of attempt at honest work - if you've got something give whatever you feel - but you're not obliged.

For service, tipping well does go a long way, bars or restaurants, a tip before service can do wonders, salon, $100 here and there might get your wife to skip the line sometimes. And don't forget, always tip to colmado delivery - your orders will be put on priority.

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
Be aware that some restaurants calculate the tip on the bill. Can't recall the acronym for the tip, but its there on the bill. Usually around 10%.

Black Dog

Bronze
May 29, 2009
Maybe it is because in POP things are different than in SD, but I founded those sum very irrisory and if you try to get away with those amounts in the SD you will always be in a constant argument with those people.

That's useful to know. When I come to SD I'll up the figures, thanks! ;)

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
The car parkers do squat, but I guess the act of pretending to do something is worth I dunno, $10, $20. As far as I'm concerned he's probably making more money than a billingual university kid working at a call center. One guy tried telling me that it was $50 to park in La Zona Col. I told him the fee was whatever I felt like giving him. But in some instances they work in a shady way, an example at bonches or concerts - they will photocopy some papers that say its $200 to park on the street! With what right? I argued this and the response was "si no pagas, no somos responsables de su carro". Translation: "if you don't pay were responsable for whatever damage/theft happens to your car." One of the many thigs to add to the wishlist for cops to crackdown on.

The rest, window wash, shoe shine, at least its some sort of attempt at honest work - if you've got something give whatever you feel - but you're not obliged.

For service, tipping well does go a long way, bars or restaurants, a tip before service can do wonders, salon, $100 here and there might get your wife to skip the line sometimes. And don't forget, always tip to colmado delivery - your orders will be put on priority.

Once they gave me a printed ticket outside Platinum Disco, telling me that I have to pay $100 pesos to park in the street, I told him I won't pay nothing and now less, and if something happens with my car he and his friends will have to respond for it in La Victoria. Kept walking towards the club and the guy just shrugged and put his ticket in his pocket. If only they would ask politely, maybe they could have earned $25 from me.