Need Information...re Immigration Canada

SherryG

Jul 30, 2009
Was wondering if anyone can help me, My daughter just got married july 16th 2009 to a Dominican and she was wondering how she goes about getting the paperwork started for him to come to Canada and how long it would take. Also does she have to have a fulltime job here in Canada or can she go to the DR and work there for about 4 months and do the paperwork from there.

Johana

May 24, 2006
First, welcome and congrats on your daughter's wedding:)

I would start by going to the CIC website Welcome Page | Page d'accueil and requesting a complete application kit. There are specific applications by regions.
Then I would read it, re-read and read again. The information required is not difficult the forms can just be a bit confusing.
After reading it over a few times she will have a better understanding of all the documents needed from both herself and her husband.
Where does she live? In Quebec there are some extra requirements. If not in Quebec, you do not need a minimum salary to sponsor a spouse.
She can apply while living in the DR - there is a section about sponsoring while living abroad in the application.

Once she has the application and read it over - then she may want to join this board. There are many of us that have been through the process sucessfully - she will find a lot of knowledge and a lot of support here.

Best of luck to her :)

Last edited:

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Hi SherryG welcome to DR1.

If your daughter has internet connection I would suggest she signs up on DR1 to get the info for herself. There's so much info and paperwork and passing info on to third person is sometimes difficult. There are medicals, documents to have translated etc.

The timelines are all diffirent but you can them read here to get an idea

She needs to get an application first of all and read it throughly. Here is the link to all the info she needs Sponsoring your family: Spouses and dependent children

sangria

Bronze
May 16, 2006
Hi SherryG,

First step would be to order the application package from the Immigration Canada Website.

Here is the link....it is the Caribbean forms that you need. There is a button to click to order the application.

Application to Sponsor a Member of the Family Class

It is worth it to order a couple copies just in case you make a mistake.

Have your daughter take some time to read the guide & application very carefully. It can be confusing and its important to fully understand what they are asking for to avoid delays in processing.

First your daughter will need to be approved as a sponsor which takes approximately 1 month or so and then the file is sent to Haiti to be processed. In total you are looking at between 9-18 months.

Application Processing Times: Applications Processed Outside of Canada

Good Luck & feel free to ask any questions you may have.

Sangria