totally confused now about bs and vs

Status
Not open for further replies.

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
ive been trying to learn spanish with rosetta stone and michel thomas...told to pronounce v as b as in voy va and van etc

now I try livemocha recommended here and every bugger is using a deffinate v- whats going on here

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Here in the DR, there is for all accounts and purposes no difference. I believe the "v", "v corta-uve" should be softer than the "b", "b larga" according to some sources, but not all. My Harper Collins dictionary says they are the same.

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
I say what the Domincans say....there are some "V" words that are pronounced with V but others with B...just listen to what spanish-speakers are saying
SHALENA

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
voy va and vas and van are all pronounced with a v on livemoca - i was just wondering why - it seems mostly one lady that does it , could she have a speech impediment - it says she is a native spanish speaker ,but doesnt say from where she comes

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
on another subject - I am a man (yes I know thats a surprise to some lol)

I originally learnt - yo soy un hombre now its seems its only soy hombre no un needed,is this correct

different courses seem to teach different things -anciano/viejo for old for instance...maybe I should stick to one method lol

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Hartley: Most (really) Dominicans cannot distinguish bs and vs...

In "theory" the v is slightly "fricative" which means that there is a little brush of the lips.

The b is supposed to be slightly "explosive" ....

However, reality indicates that you can get away with pretty much everything.

Me boy = me voy ben = ven...and so forth.

This is not a really important matter. What matters more are your el and la; los and las

that is what really screws up a non-Spanish speaker....: La problema, la mapa (NOOO!!!) El problema, el mapa *YESSS*....

Rule of Thumb: if it ends in -ma, -pa, or -te, its masculine and therefore "el"....

Don't sweat the accent, you cannot lose it, but you can make yourself understood, and that is what matters.

QUERER CERBAISA will get you the same cold President as Quiero una cerveza.....

Good Luck!

HB

El_Uruguayo

Bronze
Dec 7, 2006
QUERER CERBAISA will get you the same cold President as Quiero una cerveza.....

Good Luck!

HB

They will both indeed get you a beer, difference is, one approach will cost you 15%+ more, and might draw a couple "ladies" to your side.

Personally, I go with a v like a v, and a b like a b as it would be in english, french, or italian. Some words sound ok with either or, but some words sound bad with wrong sound - ex. natibo, berdad and others are ok, berguenza.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
No Hartley, that is cereza, "cerbaisa" is clearly not a cherry...Actually in my part of the country, it would be ceibesa...since the r - i in the Cibao....

Oye primo, dame una ceibeza, poi favoi....

No seas tan sinveiguenza!!

HB

Jan 17, 2009
In defense of Dominicans that cannot distinguish or pronounce Bs and Vs differently, thi s is true of most Latin American Spanish speakers if not all. Many of us were taught in elementary school to pronounce them as they should, but it's quite hard when all you hear is the same "b" sound around you all the time. The only one word that I recall that you need to make sure you pronounce it right is vaca (cow) since a baca is a different word (car luggage rack).

Status
Not open for further replies.