Setting up a Pond?

mossrisjhons

Aug 15, 2009
I know its not really the season but how would you go about setting up a small pond (such as a barrel pond) or maybe not even a pond but a water container garden? If you want fish in it do you need to attach a filter?

Thinking of setting one up this spring.

Nov 25, 2008
pond const

If your planning a 55 gl. barrel pond definitely need to line it, water and wood does not mix, some people even use a 40 gl. drum [plastic] to insert it into the 55 gl. to resolve the problem of leakage.
I myself have a 500 gl. [tinaco] with kois, and a small pond in my parents home, if you want pics pm me and I'll send it to your email [I still dont know how to insert pic]

best of luck

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
If your planning a 55 gl. barrel pond definitely need to line it, water and wood does not mix, some people even use a 40 gl. drum [plastic] to insert it into the 55 gl. to resolve the problem of leakage.
I myself have a 500 gl. [tinaco] with kois, and a small pond in my parents home, if you want pics pm me and I'll send it to your email [I still dont know how to insert pic]

best of luck

I would like to see pics of your ponds - could you please email to me? I have sent you a PM with my email address.

Last edited:

DRExplorer

Jan 1, 2007
I love to see pictures of your koi's-can you post a couple here? I used to raise them in a 55 gallone tank but they grew too fast and was splashing water all over my room.

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
I love to see pictures of your koi's-can you post a couple here? I used to raise them in a 55 gallone tank but they grew too fast and was splashing water all over my room.

I understand that jorgesarduysousa was unable to post the pics on here but he did send me some via email. If he would like me to post them on this thread on his behalf, I will be pleased to do so at his request.

Nov 25, 2008

I hope I got this right

mariyasmth11

Aug 20, 2009
I have one, no filter. I would put a pump in so that the water is stag as well as for some oxygen. I just flood it every now and then in the summer. Do nothing to it in the winter. If I could keep the darn coons out of it my fish might live.

use link will helpfully for you Pond Supplies