Dust in the DR?

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
I recently bought a black pick up and have notice the horrendous dust:ermm: that is making me wash it every day in order to keep it looking good. I went to the weather report today and it was headlined "widespread dust". Whats going on with all the dust. Are we generating it?? If not where is it coming from and who do I call to tell them to stop it?

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Interesting article

Thanks for the article. I do remember the dust problem when I lived in Fl. No dusty roads nearby so I guess its coming from Africa. The truck is a nuisance to keep clean but it sure looks good for about 5 minutes after I wash her. I survived the dust in Fl guess I will survive it here. Thanks for the input.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
of course

Why, Sosua naturally, heh,heh. As a matter of fact we do have one small road nearby but with our normal coastal wind it blows the dust away from my house so I am ok unless I drive my new truck down the road. The only safe dust less place is the garage.

DOMINCAN JOE

Bronze
Aug 15, 2006
Why, The only safe dust less place is the garage.
Or one of these
classic_accessories_deluxe_polypro_3_jeep_cover.jpg

Reactions: mike l

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
i am glad we have that saharan dust around the Isles this time of the year.
without the heavy dry saharan air/SAL the lil tropical wave Ana would have been easily a Cat 3 hurricane when it reached our shores last weekend.
yeap,
i have a dark car myself,
so i wish every motodriver who pushes dust in the air aside the road to hell,
but the first minutes after washing that color looks soooo goood, ha ha ha
Mike

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
You have a good reason to go to the carwash to enjoy a couple presidentes bien frias.:cheeky:

JJ

Reactions: mike l

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I bought a metallic dark gold/bronze SUV for the exact reason of dust and dirt. You can hardly tell when it's dirty.

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
While there are remnants of dust storms that come from Africa, the dust you are experiencing is more likely from a combination of lack of rain together with the existence of unpaved roads and lots of traffic.

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
While there are remnants of dust storms that come from Africa, the dust you are experiencing is more likely from a combination of lack of rain together with the existence of unpaved roads and lots of traffic.

The Mistrals from North Africa will literally dump red sand on the yachts in Monaco in the August / September time of year but I had no idea that the winds blow that far this way and could still hold the sand.

But then again thats where the storms orginate

I am trying to figure why my eyes burn and water while I am driving around on my scooter.

Last edited:

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
Might be

The Mistrals from North Africa will literally dump red sand on the yachts in Monaco in the August / September time of year but I had no idea that the winds blow that far this way and could still hold the sand.

But then again thats where the storms orginate

I am trying to figure why my eyes burn and water while I am driving around on my scooter.

How does unburned petrochemicals sound? Also the reason stuff in the Apartment turns black.

Caz

May 15, 2004
I agree - that's why the dust is black and greasy - not dry brown sahara dust!

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
black dust ? we only have the brown sort here, and less of it with our new road :glasses:

pedrochemical

Silver
Aug 22, 2008
Mr Hartley,
Dominican dust does not generally identify itself with black or brown and there is also some controversy over its African origins.

dulce

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
Diesel soot is what my apartment in Juan Dolio had. (across from Playa Real when it was open) It was gross and I am sure my lungs were too.