Bus to Bani

puryear270

Bronze
Aug 26, 2009
I'll be staying in Santo Domingo for a week, and need to visit Bani one day. Where in the capital do I find an express (preferably air conditioned) bus to Bani?

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
I dont know about "express" service but Caribe Tours offers air-conitioned coaches out of Santo Domingo. If you take the Barahona bus, you can get off in Bani.

Yayow

Sep 4, 2007
You can actually catch a guagua (seats about 20 -25), leaves about every half hour; on Avenida Bolivar just a little west of Parque Independencia, very nice buses, with air, and cheaper than Caribe Tours.

As far as Caribe Tours is concerned I am not so sure that you can get off in Bani, I looked at their schedule and although as the other poster indicated they go to Barahona, I am not sure that they will stop in Bani for you, I would check into that if I was you. Their website is:

www.caribetours.com.do

I am sure you can find any info on their site, but again I don't think you can take it to Bani.

puryear270

Bronze
Aug 26, 2009
Hoy

I tried emailing and calling Caribe Tours this afternoon at the station in Santo Domingo. I didn't get through via telephone, and am waiting if I get an email response. I'll probably try again tomorrow.

puryear270

Bronze
Aug 26, 2009
From Caribe Tours

This is the reply that I got from Caribe Tours via email:

Muy buenas tardes:

En respuesta a su solicitud de respuesta le informo que lamentablemente aun no viajamos a la Ciudad de Bani.

Por dicha zona solo viajamos a las Ciudades de: Azua, Barahona y San Juan de la Maguana.

Esperando la informaci?n ofrecida haya sido de su utilidad, se despide,

SO, it looks like I'm taking the guaguas.

minerva_feliz

May 4, 2009
?

There are stops in Azua and Bani.

I have never known them in the past few years to let anyone off in Bani, or before the stop in Azua for that matter. It's because of agreements they have with the sindicatos of the Bani guaguas. No worries, Bani is close enough to Santo Domingo, and the guaguas are nice and frequent. Personally I prefer the guaguas to Caribe Tours, which is freezing and doesn't put on any good tunes! :bunny:

Caribe Tours will let you off at a couple of places really close to Barahona, right before you get there, if you talk to the driver first and even then you have to bang on the window for them to stop. And they will not remove any luggage from underneath unless they are at a station, so you would have to have it up with you.

I have noticed over time that different sindicatos have agreements about where they can and can't pick up passengers, to respect the routes of the other ones. I have heard of "abusadores" tires getting macheted and a rock through the window for picking up passengers where they aren't "allowed". :eek:gre:

puryear270

Bronze
Aug 26, 2009
Entonces...

So, basically I need to go to Parque Independencia and ask someone where the guaguas to Bani are found.

Is that the consensus?

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
There are signs notifying passengers that luggage receptacles will only be opened at the stations so that shouldnt be a problem. Now if the driver wont stop in Bani as ours did, that may be;)

Yayow

Sep 4, 2007
You can actually catch a guagua (seats about 20 -25), leaves about every half hour; on Avenida Bolivar just a little west of Parque Independencia, very nice buses, with air, and cheaper than Caribe Tours.

Also I don't know where you are located in la capital, but the stop I mentioned above just happens to be the first stop. You don't have to catch it there, you can catch it anywhere along it's route, that means anywhere along Ave. Bolivar, as they pass they will have a sign in the front window telling where they are going (just flag them down anywhere along it's route). I have taken the guagua to Bani, as well as to San Jose Occoa, in the past and it is a nice ride. Next week I am actually planning on taking a guagua to Palenque to spend a day or two in that community.

Enjoy the ride.

Yayow

Sep 4, 2007
If you do go to parque independencia be on the north side of the park, on the opposite side of the street, basically it's first stop is on Ave. Bolivar across from the north side at telemicro, the big blue buidling that hosts the television station. Ask anyone along that strip there and they can direct you, or just look for the sign in the bus window, it is not really complicated.

puryear270

Bronze
Aug 26, 2009
Guagua

I'm actually going to be staying about two blocks from Parque Independencia, so the first stop is perfect for me.

Thanks for all your help. I'm really looking forward to being back in the DR. It has been 17 years since I was there.

Another question: Do I catch a guagua to San Jose de Ocoa at the same place?

Yayow

Sep 4, 2007
San Jose Occoa

Another question: Do I catch a guagua to San Jose de Ocoa at the same place?

The guagua to San Jose de Ocoa, is actually the first one (95% of the time sitting there waiting for passengers), and as one leaves the next one takes it's place, again leaves about every 20 - 30 minutes. As you are on Bolivar walking away from the park going toward calle Urguay there is a colmado about the middle of the block on the north side of the street (across from telemicro), right in front of that colmado sits the guagua for San Jose de Ocoa. There is a sign in the front window, actually the guagua to Bani, can be caught right behind that guagua. Sometimes the Bani guagua sits there, or it may be a little late (and may just pass, if that happens it rides by slowly, all you have to do is flag it down), but if you associate your self in that area, you can't miss either one of them.

I have taken the San Jose de Ocoa guagua at least 10 - 15 times as I have family and property in Rancho Arriba, and it is necessary to transfer in San Jose de Ocoa.

puryear270

Bronze
Aug 26, 2009
Thanks so much. In the past, I've always found people to be very friendly, so if I have any trouble, I can ask.