Finally grits!

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
I finally found some grits in Santiago after looking for it off and on the last couple of years. It is labled "Harina de maize gruesa" and it's imported. It sure is delicious too. I just found out the Haitians eat this too so I'll be on the lookout for a local brand. The good thing for all you grits eaters is that maybe you can find it too in your area. Buen provecho!

TOOBER_SDQ

Bronze
Nov 19, 2008
I finally found some grits in Santiago after looking for it off and on the last couple of years. It is labled "Harina de maize gruesa" and it's imported. It sure is delicious too. I just found out the Haitians eat this too so I'll be on the lookout for a local brand. The good thing for all you grits eaters is that maybe you can find it too in your area. Buen provecho!

The local brand is called "Harina de Negrito".

You can't miss it. It has a picture of a young black kid sporting an afro and a huge smile. ;)

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago

You can't miss it. It has a picture of a young black kid sporting an afro and a huge smile. ;)

I looked at some of that last night at the super and that is not really grits because it is a powder - grits are made from a very coarse ground corn meal.

Jan 5, 2006

That's "cream of wheat". As Chip already pointed out, grits are made of corn.

I never forget the line from the movie My Cousin Vinnie; "No self respecting Southener would ever be caught dead cooking instant grits!"

GringoCArlos

Retired Ussername
Jan 9, 2002
So Chip, do you eat your grits with gravy, or do you use sugar??

(and for the brits - grits are eaten for breakfast, but I could never stomach hot gravy for breakfast, I used sugar like a true yankee! )

Black Dog

Bronze
May 29, 2009
Now to find the catfish & hushpuppies to go with it... ;)

Hushpuppies are shoes aren't they? What the hell are these guys eating? Ready Brek and suade shoes with salt and sugar? What happened to you guys after independence? Come back to us, the queen will forgive you and you can all have sausage, bacon, black pudding and eggs for breakfast!!!

You know it's friday afternoon and I'm just kidding right? ;)

Jan 5, 2006
I'm outraged at you guys, especially Chip, whom I thought was fully "aplatanao" at this point. What's wrong with platanos, fried salami, eggs and cheese? :p

Tallman1818

Nov 19, 2007

Harina de el Negrito most Dominican kids grew up eating this for breakfast or dinner, in DR we eat it sweet and with milk.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I never forget the line from the movie My Cousin Vinnie; "No self respecting Southener would ever be caught dead cooking instant grits!"

LOL, every time I hear the word "grits" I think of that movie. In fact, I went out and bought it just to see what it tasted like, after seeing the film. IMHO it's very similar to polenta that some Italians make [mostly northerners, our family never made it]. The only hot cereal I've ever seen in a Dominican home is oatmeal - my mother-in-law loves it.

pyratt

Bronze
Jan 14, 2007
Boy did this bring out the New Yawkas here...hahahaha

Grits...best known in the U.S. as "suthern breakfast food" a carbohydrate substitute used like potatoes when served. Eggs, grits n sausage patties.

I love them with butter, but over the years seen them eaten with syryp and/or hot sauce. How you eat them depends a lot on where you were raised in the south....

In the Bahamas we used to eat "Grits-n-grunts" for breakfast...although I prefer grouper to grunts...real grouper not the basa or tilapia being served in the DR as MERO.

One thing's for sure....you don't want to eat COLD grits...lumpy, nasty, chewy blech. Let me know when you find biscuits and sausage gravy (white flour gravy) in the DR, that will be a real cultural exchange!

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
I thought Granny Clampett was the only one who ate grits and vidals
GrannyClampett-729655.jpg

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Only had grits once - reminded me of wallpaper paste. Readybrek is much nicer.

matilda