Surge Protectors

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
Any advice on where to buy proper surge protectors to be used in a older buildings that does not have proper ground.

This of course to protect laptops etc. from power surges.

Sep 22, 2009
Surge vs. Brickering

Problem is NOT only the surge that you need to be worried about. It's an event known as "brickering" which destroys sensitive electronics. You need a voltage monitor which connects first to the wall and then you can connect your surge protector to this and all of your electronics.

If you are in Santo Domingo or Santigo, go to CECOMSA. Ferreteria Americana may also carry but not sure. CECOMSA is on the web, so shoot them a call in advance to save yourself a trip.

Personally, I recommend ordering this stuff from Amazon and have it delivered to your courrier service (if you have).

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Any advice on where to buy proper surge protectors to be used in a older buildings that does not have proper ground.

This of course to protect laptops etc. from power surges.
Grounding a building is not that difficult to do unless it's a high-rise with multiple meters. Why not do that first?

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
Grounding a building is not that difficult to do unless it's a high-rise with multiple meters. Why not do that first?

This is interesting! what is the steps here? I should consult an electrician i guess? Are you referring to grounding the suite alone or building?

Thanks in advance!

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
This is interesting! what is the steps here? I should consult an electrician i guess? Are you referring to grounding the suite alone or building?

Thanks in advance!
Grounding the whole electric system.

Any qualified electrician can do it. Just needs some cable and a rod pounded deeply into the ground.

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
i work online all day and have lived in the dr since 2001. i've always just picked up surge protectors from pricesmart. but i've made sure to live in buildings with grounding. in my first building (when i had no money) there was no ground, so i paid an electrician to install it.

i have a lot of computers, etc, which remain on 24/7 and have had very very few problems with devices being zapped; no more than i'd expect in the USA.

This is totally anecdotal and not something i planned, its just how it worked out.

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
i work online all day and have lived in the dr since 2001. i've always just picked up surge protectors from pricesmart. but i've made sure to live in buildings with grounding. in my first building (when i had no money) there was no ground, so i paid an electrician to install it.

i have a lot of computers, etc, which remain on 24/7 and have had very very few problems with devices being zapped; no more than i'd expect in the USA.

This is totally anecdotal and not something i planned, its just how it worked out.

I am about to read through the link on the previous post regarding grounding-but thought as you have already lived through this, could you briefly explain the process you experienced having your electrician ground your apartment suite.
Thanks!

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
I am staying in a house that is ungrounded and I have a lot of electronics.
So far knock on wood, nothing has burned out in over a year living here. Is there anything I can do outlet by outlet "inexpensively" that will temporarily fix this problem while I am residing here. Also, can I attribute my luck to their being an inverter on the house. I don't want to go through the expense of rewiring the house because I am only staying here as a favor to another.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
I am staying in a house that is ungrounded and I have a lot of electronics.
So far knock on wood, nothing has burned out in over a year living here. Is there anything I can do outlet by outlet "inexpensively" that will temporarily fix this problem while I am residing here. Also, can I attribute my luck to their being an inverter on the house. I don't want to go through the expense of rewiring the house because I am only staying here as a favor to another.
You can ground the house for under RD$2000. It us a simple task any qualified electrician can do.

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
The problem in this particular house is that it is old and there are no ground wires run to the outlets

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
The problem in this particular house is that it is old and there are no ground wires run to the outlets
The risk is the entire house not being grounded. That could fry everything, including the house.

The surge suppression of the inverter is voided by not having the house grounded.

Otherwise each socket will need a surge suppressor. Some work better than others.

If the house circuitry is properly grounded with a ground rod and you have an inverter properly installed, every circuit on the inverter is protected.