finally got back

yess

Jun 1, 2008
sigh - only 5 days
In typical American fashion, I had a plan. The amazing part is that I pretty much stuck to it and had a fine time.

day 1 was for family visits. Sam my partner, was raised in a small town near Bonao. Streets are named after his ancestors and most everyone is an aunt or cousin.

We arrived mid-morning and rented a car from EuropeCar (or something like that) so much saner than renting from "Omar's" - you know the place, where they hold onto your passport and rent you a car and the tire falls off. Great customer service at EuropeCar and we took full insurance with no deductible.

Spent the day visiting, playing cards, eating waaay too much. Sam's brothers were also visiting so there was no room at the homestead. YAY! now I need not make excuses about staying overnight at a hotel. I love Sam's parents and their home but I am a gringa and darnit I want my air conditioning and especially HOT WATER. I am sure they all think I am very rude but I stood firm and we stayed at the Aquarius in Bonao and I was very satisfied, the room was a bit small but the AC was chill.

We were in Bonao and asked a motoconcho driver for directions to the hotel and he said, "For 30 pesos you won't get lost!" LOL gotta love that opportunistic spirit especially as the hotel was four streets straight ahead.

We enjoyed a late meal at El Buen Sazon where the waiter remembered us from last year. Sam and I really do stand out in DR. Maybe I should get us Gringa/No Sankie t-shirts. Lots of kittens. Sam says you can tell the Americans from the Dominicans because we are the ones saying awww and tossing food from our plates.

Reactions: SantiagoDR

yess

Jun 1, 2008
Day 2 - Santo Domingo
A long hot walk around la Zona Colonial. I am just not a church and fort kinda girl but I wanted to see what it was all about and now I have. Stopped for refreshments at an absolutely beautiful hotel with lovely courtyards and shaded walkways. Such serene ambiance and such a welcome respite from the heat.

Then to Boca Chica and can I say a bit overwhelming! I could not actually look at anything because then of course the seller was at my chair putting his wares under my nose. A large group of gringos came and that took the attention away from me as all the beach guys crowded to them eager to get them chairs and umbrellas and drinks and whatnot.

At one point when Sam was off somewhere a man came by and I swear he offered to sell me his services !! Granted there is a language barrier but some gestures cannot be mistaken. Oh Lord I just laughed it off. So yes you can buy anything on the beach there.

The water was heaven, so soft and warm.

Driving back after dark we dropped off Sam's parents and headed to Bonao but we were soooo tired and not in the mood for night driving in the video game known as La Autopista Duarte so we figured to stay at the Heaven Suite cabanas. OMG I have read about cabanas here but still I was unprepared for the actual experience.

Such drama! Such secrecy! As if everyone in town doesn't know who is doing who! Anyway the room was very clean, large and the "chair of Luv" complete with pictorial was a riot. The mirror over the bed is unforgiving and maybe that is why so many Dominicanas work to stay slim.
Alas no hot water.

PS don't even go there