*GOOD* Tattoo Artist in Santo Doming?

DrewTX

Jul 28, 2009
Houston, TX
Please can anybody recommend a good tattoo artist in Santo Domingo?

I will be visiting the city soon with my family and my 16 year old son would like a small tattoo on his back as a tribute to his Mom who passed away 2 years ago. Normally I'd so no to a tattoo for my son - but in this case I feel it is OK. Where we live it is illegal for a tattoo artist to work on anybody under 18 years - even with parental approval.

Because tattoo is a tribute to his mom - and because I know he'll have it for the rest of his life - I want to ensure that the artist is a real professional who does very artwork.

I saw some reports here about Bane Tattoo studio Ana Cabarete, Dominican Republic in Cabrete, but would really prefer to find a tattoo artist in Santo Domingo.

MANY THANKS

Mr. Lu

Bronze
Mar 26, 2007

I will be visiting the city soon with my family and my 16 year old son would like a small tattoo on his back as a tribute to his Mom who passed away 2 years ago. Normally I'd so no to a tattoo for my son - but in this case I feel it is OK. Where we live it is illegal for a tattoo artist to work on anybody under 18 years - even with parental approval.

Because tattoo is a tribute to his mom - and because I know he'll have it for the rest of his life - I want to ensure that the artist is a real professional who does very artwork.

I saw some reports here about Bane Tattoo studio Ana Cabarete, Dominican Republic in Cabrete, but would really prefer to find a tattoo artist in Santo Domingo.

MANY THANKS

I would caution against this, for many reasons. Mainly, the health standards of the tattoo parlors. I live in SD and know of a few tattoo places, and of a few artists, but the standards are low, options are minimal and the artistry isn't AS good. For example you are limited with paint options and metal or non metal inks. Non metal inks are becoming preferred options. Also, there is the sanitation aspect of these places, which is always in doubt. Needles need to go through a particular procedure to ensure they are clean and safe.

I have seen tattoo f**k ups and its not a fun thing, especially since it's forever. I am not saying don't do it in SD, I am just saying caution against it. If you decide to let your son go through with this, do your due diligence. Have a check list of things to ask and look for, and make sure your language skills are at a high enough level that you can understand the artist and he can understand you.

Just so you know there are a few places on el Conde, not high quality though, one on Maximo Gomez, at the small plaza, on the basement floor, and also, I believe, in Plaza Central. There are a few other places around town.

Mr. Lu

Yayow

Sep 4, 2007
I got one..

About 4 or 5 months ago, I got a tribal band tattoo around my right bicep, it came out great and I am pleased with the results and the cleanliness of the artist. First tattoo I have had, and he opened up the needles in front of me from the sealed packet, and everything seemed clean to me, he spoke to me about the tattoo ahead of time, told me how to care for it etc., although I couldn't compare to other establishments, because I haven't been to others. He has a small parlor right off of el conde, on the same block as the tourist police station (don't know the name of the street, but the police station on el conde is easy to find), across the street and north of the police station above a beauty salon. The artist's name is "Popeye" he speakes English and I have his phone number I will PM it to you, as I don't know the rules regarding putting numbers in the public forum.

Kajuilito

Sep 12, 2009
So would an American tattoo artist working in DR have better luck gaining peoples trust, being that they operate on very strict hygiene standards? Or would it all be the same because its the DR? Not trustworthy?

Imbert369

Sep 21, 2008
I know u get what u pay for but r the better tattoo parlours a lot cheaper than NY. I have work that i need to finish and was wondering is it really cheaper...

Yayow

Sep 4, 2007
I know u get what u pay for but r the better tattoo parlours a lot cheaper than NY. I have work that i need to finish and was wondering is it really cheaper...

Again I can't compare the price because this is my only experience, I got one of those tribal tattoo around the bicep, that was all I wanted I thought the price was more than what I expected and we (myself and the artist) had that same discussion about paying for what you get, professionalism, cleanliness etc., after having that discussion I was convinced I could go for it with him. Because I tried to talk his price down, knowing that everything is negotiable in the D.R., but he wouldn't budge, that said something to me, he was willing to lose a sale, instead of compromising his price because he knew the quality of his work. I wasn't sorry that I trusted him.

Mr. Lu

Bronze
Mar 26, 2007
Good advice....

Well, talking prices when infact price is the least worry you have to consider when deciding on a studio.
Does he have an autoclav (most importantly), are his needles and tubes disposible(a sure way of knowing he hasn't been sterilizing them in his kids baby bottle sterilzer), is smoking allowed in the studio (if so, walk a mile and don't look back), Does the artist have long hair intied back(if yes a very strange one to ask but if he does then he spends all day removing his hair from his eyes cross contaminating his cloves and then you), Are the floors tiled (obviously for cleaning reasons), does he have many people just lazing about in the studui drinking coffee and natting away (easiest way to get your work screwed up if he is trying to chat and do detailed work together). Ask him if he uses ink or pigment, if he says ink then turn and walk(he is not with the times, artists use pigment these days, not ink). Most importantly is to see his certificate of authority to operate from a clinic (basically a certificate that says an examiner from the authorities has been around to take readings and make sure how spotless and prepared for surgery his studio is. This is still important even in DR. You are in a minor surgery environment.

My final words of advice are, remember the mass mjority of clients tattoo artists get through the doors are prostitutes, prostitutes have a tendancy to carry infection and disease. If the working area in the studio is not 100% steralised after each booking, the nibs, tubes and new disposible needles are not dealt with correctly then it is you who are responsible for him(your son) living and suffering infection or disease that could be quite easily avoided by getting it done in a country where owners lose license and massive fines if they try to skip basic cleansliness for not staying within reinforced guidelines.

You are the adult, it is your responsability to make sure he comes away with nothing more than a tattoo.

Add some of this advice to your artist / parlor check list. Some good tips, and detailed hygiene advice. Let us know what you decide and how it comes out.

Mr. Lu

Vegasron

Jan 4, 2020
Your post is so old but exactly what I’m here looking for, a tribal tattoo in Santo Domingo, can you please send me Popeyes number? Please thanks so much, I know it’s been a long time hoping he’s still around? Thanks Ron

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014

MANY THANKS

You can expect to pay around 1,000 pesos per hour for quality
custom work anywhere in this country. Unless your son is fully
developed at 16, I'd suggest he wait as the tattoo will look distorted
and probably lose color by the time he is an adult.

etolw

Banned
Oct 6, 2018
You can expect to pay around 1,000 pesos per hour for quality
custom work anywhere in this country. Unless your son is fully
developed at 16, I'd suggest he wait as the tattoo will look distorted
and probably lose color by the time he is an adult.
The son is 27 now and fully grown:smoke: