Exiting the country

drgringo

Apr 25, 2009
I just wanted opinions from memebers on this;

I have a friend from Montreal who has been travelling around the island for just under a year now.

He is a not resident and has mentioned that he has done similar in past years but not this lengthy of a term, usually 6 months.

He is now planning to fly out soon and obviously has seriously overstayed the 30 day tourist card, without any imigration renewal stamps etc.

His question that I present here basically; has anyone have any updated "by experience" information if he will simply just have to pay the overstay fine when flying out, or is there now more to the equation. As for myself i have come and gone anywhere between 3-6 month stinks without issue.

Imbert369

Sep 21, 2008
there is no more to the equation they will ask or look at the exit paperwork and then tell you what the price is to pay. I have always paid in pesos so make sure you have. You can use the search function to find the price for overstaying. I have overstayed many times and have never had a problem.

RenatoSosua

Bronze
Nov 8, 2006
groups.yahoo.com
tarifas

VENTANILLA EXTRANJERIA
CODIGO DESCRIPCION TARIFA VIGENTE VIP
032 De 30 dias a 3 meses 800.00 -
033 De 3 meses a 9 meses 1,000.00 -
034 De 9 meses a 1 a?o 2,500.00 -
035 De 1 a?o a 1 a?o y 6 meses 4,000.00 -
036 De 1 a?o y medio a 2 a?os 5,000.00 -
037 De 2 a?os a 2 a?os y 6 meses 6,500.00 -
038 De 2 a?os y medio a 3 a?os 9,000.00 -
039 De 2 a?os a 5 a?os 14,000.00 -
040 De 5 a?os en adelante 17,000.00

Direccion General de Migracion

Black Dog

Bronze
May 29, 2009
It's as simple as that. Have the figures with you. If stopped, pay the tax, smile, have a good flight and come back soon!

Drro

Bronze
Mar 22, 2006
Be sure to have the correct amount, exact change so to speak, and know ahead of time what you are going to pay. I've never been told another amount than that which is due but anything is possible in the DR. So be knowledgeable.

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
Put 14 days on your exit paperwork, they might not notice. But have the exact monies ready for the correct amount that you need to pay.

BermudaRum

Bronze
Oct 9, 2007
Put 14 days on your exit paperwork, they might not notice. But have the exact monies ready for the correct amount that you need to pay.

If POP is your departure airport, forget the exit paperwork. They will only look at your passport in order to get the fine from you. And do not expect a receipt, it's hard to get one when the fine collected is being pocketed!:cheeky:

Aug 21, 2007
...... And do not expect a receipt, it's hard to get one when the fine collected is being pocketed!:cheeky:

I haven't found that to be the case. I go to the office, pay my penalty, get change and a receipt, and all is well. Go where you need to go to pay the fine. Be honest. Don't try to pull one over, and they will be up front and honest with you as well.

But, if your choice is not to pay.....well then, I guess you get what you get.

Lindsey

Reactions: Black Dog

Black Dog

Bronze
May 29, 2009
I haven't found that to be the case. I go to the office, pay my penalty, get change and a receipt, and all is well. Go where you need to go to pay the fine. Be honest. Don't try to pull one over, and they will be up front and honest with you as well.

But, if your choice is not to pay.....well then, I guess you get what you get.

Lindsey

Well said said Lindsey!

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
bad example

talk about having turned local!!!

At the SD airport, you will be directed to the separate tax desk, pay your correct fine, and get a receipt.

Let us not contribute to the corruption here... I mean, really, they make it easy enough for foreigners to overstay their visas. This country has the absolute easiest visa requirements of anyplace I have heard of. In Mexico and Thailand, foreigners have to trek out of the country every three months or land in jail.
:tired:

Reactions: TOOBER_SDQ

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
If you are in Santo Domingo and have a chance go to the migration building, then go and pay your exit fee there. Go to the windows at the right hand side of the waiting area and present your passport. Let them know your departure date and they will compute the fee and you can pay at the windows. You will receive a receipt and you can present the receipt at migration at your departure airport. Be sure to make a copy of the document for yourself just in case the migration person holds on to original. The advantage to this is less of an opportunity of corrupt migration persons at the airport gouge you and pocket the money, and you will not be delayed going to your air transport.

Regards,
PJT

Black Dog

Bronze
May 29, 2009

At the SD airport, you will be directed to the separate tax desk, pay your correct fine, and get a receipt.

Let us not contribute to the corruption here... I mean, really, they make it easy enough for foreigners to overstay their visas. This country has the absolute easiest visa requirements of anyplace I have heard of. In Mexico and Thailand, foreigners have to trek out of the country every three months or land in jail.

Are you all listening? If you complain about corruption, don't add to it! 100% spot on Annie
IMHO ;)

La Mariposa

Bronze
Jun 4, 2004

It's not a fine it's a tax for an extention of the tourist card not a visa

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
I would assume that it would be a fine

Maybe for you[/QUOTE

I would certainly call it a fine, whether it is a tax or not. That is just what the translation would mean to me.

One is "fined" for breaking the law, which one has done by overstaying the tourist visa.

Anyway, indeed, my point is that the DR makes it very easy to stay in the country as long as one wants, with the stipulation that you will pay a fee for the time that you have overstayed when you leave. Some posters were suggesting that it might be OK for foreigners to try to avoid this fee, perhaps based on the premise that the collectors of said money would pocket it.

My point was that any such action is illegal, and in my book ... really really really ungrateful.

You can afford the plane ticket, the hotel, the beer?

Then the least you can do is pay the fee for overstaying the visa.

It is not much money, all things considered.

(and the suggestion that someone take an entire day running around SD to get an extension was in my opinion given by a sadist. WHO would ever want to spend a day running around SD to various govt offices... in order to "avoid delay at the airport?" No delay, really. Takes about two minutes to pay the fine. Just have the money ready and do not argue over the posted amount)

La Mariposa

Bronze
Jun 4, 2004
Maybe for you[/QUOTE

I would certainly call it a fine, whether it is a tax or not. That is just what the translation would mean to me.

One is "fined" for breaking the law, which one has done by overstaying the tourist visa.

Anyway, indeed, my point is that the DR makes it very easy to stay in the country as long as one wants, with the stipulation that you will pay a fee for the time that you have overstayed when you leave. Some posters were suggesting that it might be OK for foreigners to try to avoid this fee, perhaps based on the premise that the collectors of said money would pocket it.

My point was that any such action is illegal, and in my book ... really really really ungrateful.

You can afford the plane ticket, the hotel, the beer?

Then the least you can do is pay the fee for overstaying the visa.

It is not much money, all things considered.

(and the suggestion that someone take an entire day running around SD to get an extension was in my opinion given by a sadist. WHO would ever want to spend a day running around SD to various govt offices... in order to "avoid delay at the airport?" No delay, really. Takes about two minutes to pay the fine. Just have the money ready and do not argue over the posted amount)

And how do you call it when you ask and pay for a 6 months pr?rroga before your 30 days tourist CARD ends.

Don't you know that people from certain countries need a tourist card to enter the D.R. and people from other countries need a visa. There is a big difference between the 2.

Don't go to Santo Domingo or don't send someone to obtain a pr?rroga (5 minutes in the immigration office). Without a pr?rroga, just hope you won't be the driver involved in a car accident while driving with your foreign license. Let's see if you will be talking about ''avoid delay at the airport''

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
correction noted

And how do you call it when you ask and pay for a 6 months pr?rroga before your 30 days tourist CARD ends.

Don't you know that people from certain countries need a tourist card to enter the D.R. and people from other countries need a visa. There is a big difference between the 2.

Don't go to Santo Domingo or don't send someone to obtain a pr?rroga (5 minutes in the immigration office). Without a pr?rroga, just hope you won't be the driver involved in a car accident while driving with your foreign license. Let's see if you will be talking about ''avoid delay at the airport''

got it

i had to take off my culturally biased American glasses.

We Americans cannot drive here
AT ALL after our tourist visas have expired

so I was just thinking of us

hanging my head now in shame for my narrow perspective on life on the Island