Cafe Cubano Sosua

Seamonkey

Bronze
Oct 6, 2009
Hi, does anybody know much about the Cafe Cubano in Sosua? How busy they are, their hours, their staff, food and overall impression?

My wife and I have been doing our due dilligence on that business since it's for sale. We've been to DR many times and still learning much about it. Reading and talking to as many locals as possible when visiting. We don't want to jump into anything quickly without doing all the pros and cons. So, I'm looking for an outsiders opinion on that cafe.

We're not dreaming, just looking for a different life and a change of scenery.

Your help is appreciated.

Black Dog

Bronze
May 29, 2009
OK first off I should state that I have a real estate office in Sosua but that I do not have this cafe listed so this is just a personal observation of the place from the street as it were.
It looks busy most days. I have heard very good reports about the food although I haven't personally been in for quite some time. The postion is excellent for passing trade and it has a very good reputation locally!

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
While all the above is true, the location is great, usually seems to have at least a few customers, reputation and food are good...it's a little odd that it's for sale as I believe the current owners have had it for less than a year?

Reactions: Tamborista

Seamonkey

Bronze
Oct 6, 2009
Yes, they have had it for less than a year. That is true.
While all the above is true, the location is great, usually seems to have at least a few customers, reputation and food are good...it's a little odd that it's for sale as I believe the current owners have had it for less than a year?

Reactions: mike l

Black Dog

Bronze
May 29, 2009
DavidZ makes a valid point, they haven't owned it for very long so it's worth exploring why they are selling so soon. It may well be nothing sinister, it might be that it just wasn't what they were expecting which often happens but it's worth looking into.

Seamonkey

Bronze
Oct 6, 2009
I'm told they miss their old life, their family and the faster pace of life...could be true.
DavidZ makes a valid point, they haven't owned it for very long so it's worth exploring why they are selling so soon. It may well be nothing sinister, it might be that it just wasn't what they were expecting which often happens but it's worth looking into.

Seamonkey

Bronze
Oct 6, 2009
How are Canadian-owned businesses viewed by locals these days? Is there a long break-in period before getting full acceptance? Concerned about extortion and theft.

Black Dog

Bronze
May 29, 2009
How are Canadian-owned businesses viewed by locals these days? Is there a long break-in period before getting full acceptance? Concerned about extortion and theft.

Extortion and theft isn't too bad as long as you don't get caught! LOL

There are many ex-pat owned bars and restaurants in Sosua, possibly the majority. If you provide a good product at a competative price, you will be accepted. You need a good, reputable, reliable, lawyer and accountant to avoid problems! Don't assume that if you are Canadian then all Canadians will come to your businees as it doesn't work like that. It's better to go for a broader appeal.
Sorry, starting to tell you how to run your business and that's not my place!

Seamonkey

Bronze
Oct 6, 2009
I do really appreciate your thoughts and not insulted if you are giving business advice. I'm glad that you didn't say an honest lawyer...that's an oxymoron.

The Cafe has a very good local clientelle I was told, which is great with me. I want a change of scenery remember.

Extortion and theft isn't too bad as long as you don't get caught! LOL

There are many ex-pat owned bars and restaurants in Sosua, possibly the majority. If you provide a good product at a competative price, you will be accepted. You need a good, reputable, reliable, lawyer and accountant to avoid problems! Don't assume that if you are Canadian then all Canadians will come to your businees as it doesn't work like that. It's better to go for a broader appeal.
Sorry, starting to tell you how to run your business and that's not my place!

rsg

Bronze
Oct 21, 2008
I'm told they miss their old life, their family and the faster pace of life...could be true.

BULL SH**, I dont care how much they miss their old life. If they were making a big profit they would not be selling so fast. the place could be turning a profit, but probably not what they expected.

Seamonkey

Bronze
Oct 6, 2009
Which is why I am skeptical.

BULL SH**, I dont care how much they miss their old life. If they were making a big profit they would not be selling so fast. the place could be turning a profit, but probably not what they expected.

spmc

Nov 7, 2008
Two weeks ago, I ate at Cafe Cubano 5 times on my vacation so I guess I really liked the place.

The location is great, owners were friendly, staff was very good and the food was simple yet well-priced & tasty. I highly regard the place!

The only thing I know about doing business in the Sosua, or in the DR in general, is that you must radically scale back your expectations about what a “successful” business actually is.

To me, the DR means “Don’t quit your day job”. In reality, you might have better life in States (or elsewhere) than you imagine.

Reactions: mike l

Pandaris

May 20, 2008
I had breakfast there this morning, it was very tasty. But there again, how difficult is to make eggs over easy. One thing I do note is that both Sosua and Caberte are very, very slow. Everyone here is feeling the pinch.

Seamonkey

Bronze
Oct 6, 2009
What do they server for breakfast? Was it a bit busy when you were there? If you go back at night, please let me know if it was busier.

I had breakfast there this morning, it was very tasty. But there again, how difficult is to make eggs over easy. One thing I do note is that both Sosua and Caberte are very, very slow. Everyone here is feeling the pinch.