True or not?

Dominicanero

Banned
Jun 27, 2009
Is it part of dominican culture for the man to help support the woman financially if he is in a relationship with her (her boyfriend or fianc?)?

A lot of dominican women have told me that this the case, saying that if the man wants to be in a comitted relationship with a woman (whether he's dominican or not) then as part of their culture he's expected to at least contribute to her financially to some degree. However, I'm not sure if they're speaking the truth or just talking B.S. to try and sucker a foreign guy into sending her money.

I can picture a dominican girl feeding this line of B.S. to four or five gullible suckers and having each of them send some money to her, all the while believing that they're the only one in her life, and her sitting back and raking in the dough.

Is there an element of truth to it, or is it a complete lie used by sankies?

Jun 18, 2007
www.rentalmetrocountry.com
Relatives help each other here that's true as anywhere else in the 3rd world but off course they expect more from a foreigner. All you have to do is put your rules if she doesn't accept it than move on to another one. There're lots out here who won't bug you to provide for their family,

Dominicanero

Banned
Jun 27, 2009
Relatives help each other here that's true as anywhere else in the 3rd world but off course they expect more from a foreigner. All you have to do is put your rules if she doesn't accept it than move on to another one. There're lots out here who won't bug you to provide for their family,

But is it part of the dominican culture for the fiance or boyfriend to support or at least help support the woman once they've agreed to be comitted to one another? I mean, is it a very common thing among dominicans?

Or is that just a complete line of BS?

Reactions: mike l

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Do you take care of your novia back home or do you make her pay for own movie ticket & popcorn? It is not exclusive to Latin culture, to be "The Man".

Just out of curiosity, where did you meet this Princessa?

Yayow

Sep 4, 2007
A question best answered by Dominicans

You pose an interesting question, and one that I suspect can best be answered by a Dominican, who actually grew up in the culture. As for myself, I used to be married to a Dominican, one who I met in the States, we no longer live together, but interesting enough we both now live in the Dominican Republic, which I think is essential in regards to raising our daughter. I can say from my experience and again I am not Dominican, so my experiences may be different, so I really can't speak upon their culture, she never asked me to contribute to her family, while we were dating or even once we got married. Now this may be an anomaly for a few reasons, so others may be able to address your specific question better based on their knowledge and experiences. The first reason that my situation may be an anomaly is that we lived in N.Y. (not the D.R. so things may be different just based on that), during that time she never specifically asked for money to send to her family, of course her immediate family also resided in NY, so that could have been the reason. Secondly her immediate or nuclear family although not rich weren't in any type of dire straits financially (they were comfortable financially and I knew that). Thirdly for whatever reason, she wasn't particularly close to her family, which I believe is not the norm for most Dominicans.

I mean when ever she went to D.R. she would of course pack up they huge care baskets of clothes and other items, which I assumed she distributed when she reached, but specifically asking for money, never. Even now I give her money of course monthly, and I don't know what she does with it, whether or not she distributes or assist relatives in need or not.

The phenomenon of women asking for money for various family emergency reasons, I only encountered once I moved here, and for the most part I believe the majority of them are B.S. I mean how many babies can be sick, and how many parents are in dire need of operations. But you hear those type of things all the time, which I find sad because when someone is really in trouble no one will believe them. I believe if someone is approaching you with a line about a family emergency, the chances are it is B.S. But as far as culturally expecting you to help support the family, like I said a Dominican can best answer that, but that wasn't my particular experience.

Yayow

Sep 4, 2007
Never mind...

You know I just re-read your original post, it wasn't you that mentioned relatives it was someone responding to your post, I guess it is to early in the morning and my brain isn't functioning completely, so my previous post probably isn't relative to your specific question.

But just in general I always think of it this way, what if she didn't meet you, then what would she have done? If she was surviving ok, before you why should she expect you to support her just because you are dating (after all she is not your child). Some women have been known to find a few gullible men, and give them the same line, I guess it works until the men are in town at the same time, then what does she do?

Again you ask if this is cultural, and I certainly can't answer that, but I tend to do my own thing, and really aren't concerned too much with societal mores or ancient history. I find that most people tend to lean on customs when it is to their advantage, when it is not to their advantage they tend to be more modern and hip in their outlooks.

Almost sounds like the women who have told you this expect to be compensated for dating you, I read about the "compensated dating" becoming very popular in Hong Kong on another site and CNN recently filed a report regarding the phenomenon. If that is the case, well it is what it is, now isn't it.

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2007
www.rentalmetrocountry.com
Apparently it wasn't clear what I wrote so let me try again. Yes it's part of the culture but as in any relation whether it's here or anywhere else in the world you make agreements.
To use myself as an example when I arrived here my woman would ask me also for money to give to her dad or one of her sisters, I stopped this right away, I told her that I'm taking care of her and her kids as well of the one that we have together who is my priority and I'm not responsible for the rest of the family, period. The only thing I would do is if they're hungry they can come to my house to eat and that's it.
Thank God they didn't like that so they don't come to my house and I'm happy for that not having to look at their faces.

But is it part of the dominican culture for the fiance or boyfriend to support or at least help support the woman once they've agreed to be comitted to one another? I mean, is it a very common thing among dominicans?

Or is that just a complete line of BS?

Princesa777

Apr 13, 2008
I lived in the DR for some years and have some dominican girl friends over there (lower and upper class) and in my home country. If a guy wants to get with a Dominican girl as a rule he has to spend (alot :p) of money on her, it doesnt matter if the girl is low class or high class.
What I have noticed however is that the difference between high versus low class is, that with high class girls, a guy has to spend a lot of money on taking her to dinner, taking her shopping etc. before she will get to the point that they want to have sex with you. They dont ask for money and you dont have to support them financially, but they expect you to pay (big time).
Low class girls in general are (way) easier to get in bed with, you dont need to spend a lot of money 'getting' them, but they do expect you to support them...even more so if a foreigner is involved. If you do, that is ofcourse up to you (I wouldnt recommend it).

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
my infamous line again: why buy the cow when the milk is free ?
relating to Princesa post: is there really a difference between high class and low class women when it comes to sex ? maybe i'm just a low class kind of guy but i like barrio girls because they ARE the best in the bed comapred to rich girls who don't like to be hammered. rich girls just want to be seen out with a guy. barrio girls just want money any way it comes.

it's not about culture it's about the man.

Sep 22, 2009
relating to Princesa post: is there really a difference between high class and low class women when it comes to sex ? maybe i'm just a low class kind of guy but i like barrio girls because they ARE the best in the bed comapred to rich girls who don't like to be hammered. rich girls just want to be seen out with a guy. barrio girls just want money any way it comes.

No beating around the bush there.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
let me tell you the point of view of my dominican mother in law. she thinks that husband (mind you, "husband" not "boyfriend") should fork out the money for all bills, food and everything regarding house/family. he should also give money to his wife for shopping, salon etc. wife can work but all the money she makes belong to her.
boyfriend, on the other hand is expected to pay for dinner/movie or whatever other date arrangement. he may buy gifts or pay for the salon but nothing more than that. until marriage girl is the responsibility of parents.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
All I can say is I'm a lucky, lucky man to have married a woman that is independent, doesn't like shop or spend money on salons....etc. She doesn't like spending her own money, and likes spending my money even less.

Kyle stop sugar coating it tell us how you really feel.;)

rsg

Bronze
Oct 21, 2008

Kyle the hammer, what a romantic guy.:bunny:

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
C'mon Bob!

She is beyond frugal for somethings. She doesn't like to spend money on clothing, restaurants, ....etc. She has no car in the DR although she can afford one, we live in a older than dirt tin roofed house when we visit, we live off fruit and vegetable that come off our own land. She'll share my beer, but she'll never buy one...etc. She is like a dog after a bone trying to keep me from spending money. Yet she is generous with her friends and certain relatives, others don't get the time of day. In Dominican culture(my take) a man is expected to pay, and support his partner and their children. Many Dominican men fall short in doing so. Dominican women, many but not all, are looking for a financial security blanket, and they will lie to get it. Having said that I don't believe Dominican women are that much different that their sisters from other countries. They want romance, love, and a guy with a fat wallet.

Sep 22, 2009
She is beyond frugal for somethings. She doesn't like to spend money on clothing, restaurants, ....etc. She has no car in the DR although she can afford one, we live in a older than dirt tin roofed house when we visit, we live off fruit and vegetable that come off our own land. She'll share my beer, but she'll never buy one...etc. She is like a dog after a bone trying to keep me from spending money. Yet she is generous with her friends and certain relatives, others don't get the time of day. In Dominican culture(my take) a man is expected to pay, and support his partner and their children. Many Dominican men fall short in doing so. Dominican women, many but not all, are looking for a financial security blanket, and they will lie to get it. Having said that I don't believe Dominican women are that much different that their sisters from other countries. They want romance, love, and a guy with a fat wallet.

That's a great story. My wife never asks me for anything, unless it's blatently necessary. Only thing is she tends to funnel her spending cash to her mother. Plus, she's always worked.

There are good, honest Dominican women out there married to foreigners. I suppose, however, the bulk of the data points to those "other" types.

Bayx-**

May 30, 2008
You don't need a lot time to find out that Dominicans girls are all about the money. Everyone here wants to married a rich men.