Are my chances of getting signed here any better than they are in the US?

JJBro1

Oct 15, 2009
Ok first let me lay down the details. I am 18 (turning 19 next month), my dad is practically a legend down here, I am sacrificing a year of college and playing college baseball after completing one year, I am half dominican and half black but I am considered american.

Ok now thats out the way let me begin. My dominican uncle's friend is a tampa bay scout so my uncles suggested that I come down here for him to see me. I came down here thinking that if they sign me cool if they don't then I go back to the united states. I thought this was going to only take about a month but then they said I should stay in DR until January and I'll get signed. This would mean that I would not be going to school (after already completing a year of college) and I was expected to play on the baseball team for my school this year. However everyone knows who my dad is and everyone is willing to help whereas people in the united states get jealous and hold me back. My uncle on my black side of the family says that I have a better chance in the united states because I can play in college go to a university and get drafted for more money. Everyone on my dominican side says stay down here and get signed right away. Back in the US i was under the radar because my team wasn't good so no scouts came to see me. Down here there are scouts at my games everyday. It's been four months as of this writing and nothing has happened. I've been seen by many scouts and nothing is happening. Am I wasting my time? Should I go back to the united states and try to get drafted for perhaps more money but no guarantee, or should I stay here and try and get signed? Does me being american play any part in this?

Tom F.

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
I used to coach high school baseball in NYC and had mostly Dominican players. I had a couple of players skip college to go to the DR to get signed, and neither did. I have been following this issue for some time now. I would probably listen to your black uncle. Getting your college degree should be your primary focus here. I have spoken to a number of scouts here in the NYC region years back and they will find you at small universities also. If you love to play baseball, do it and work hard, and if you are good, you will get noticed. Your connections you have because of your Dad will help at some point. Do not let the idiots discourage you.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I knew you were young. You post like it.
So, as a parent, I would suggest you get your a$$ back to the States and get an education and play ball. IF you are a professional prospect, they will find you.

You should know that an education is a major plus. More than 50% of NBA and NFL players are in serious financial trouble when they finish their careers...no degrees, nothing to fall back on. Baseball is even tougher to get into. Unless you are 6'4"and a lefthander throwing 90+ mph, your chances are really slim to make a team...Go to the ball park there in SPM, talk to those minor leaguers that are playing for the Estrellas. See how much they are making...get a glimpse of the "reality" of minor-league baseball.

You family wants you got get signed so they can get their 30% of the "bonus"' they could give a sh!t...about you..

HB

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
I live here in Santiago and have two nephews on wife's side both recruited for pitchers. Both were over 6 feet tall and could throw into the upper 80's and were 17-18 yrs old. Neither got signed. I also have talked to Dominican and American scouts or buscones down here and because there are so many quality players down here they really aren't interested in you unless you are close to 6'4" and 14 yrs old. At 17 and 18 and you are already considered old, especially for a pitcher if you aren't very well developed in skill and pitches - because if you were you would have already been signed. Also, there is the fact that buscones or managers (like L Polonia) are asking for 40% now.

Your best bet is to stay in college and as noted if you are good you'll get noticed. You never know if you might blow your shoulder out and that will be that. I also have a Dominican American friend who stayed out of college and tried to get signed but blew his elbow out and had to have TJ surgery. Needless to say it ended his career and he never went to college.

Finally, if you are still adamant I can more than likley arrange for an American freelance buscone I know to look at your stuff here in Santiago if you want. I'm sure he won't string you along and he'll tell you what it will take.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I remember once, a few years ago, I traveled around the states with a good friend, 6/3 young, and he could hit a golf ball a country mile. We played a few really good courses,and on one of them he eagled a huge 5 par 18th hole...in front of about two dozen club members that thought he was Tiger Woods..Drive, a monster 3 iron to 25 feet and a great, curving putt...applause...

We were in the states so a few PGA pros could evaluate him...100% of them said he did not have it. Not LONG enough!!!

He stayed in school and is now a doctor, doing really well...really really well....

Get the point??

HB

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Friends of ours just got their American residency and their 16 year is playing high school ball in New York. His mother is adamant that he get a college education regardless of what the local experts( in Jarabacoa) told her. He is a catcher/first baseman 6 ft 1 and 195. Chances of getting to the minors is good, to the majors who knows.

Yayow

Sep 4, 2007
School's the thing

Get your education, nothing wrong with playing ball, but give yourself as many options as possible, that is what it is all about. Maximize what you got!! Even if you don't succeed as a player, your life will advance further with that college degree, and if you have a chance to get a scholarship, take advantage of it.

In closing....

Good luck with all your future endeavors.

Yayow

Sep 4, 2007
By the way I played a little ball when I was younger at USC in California, then got hurt and out of shape, and couldn't do it anymore, I felt very fortunate that I was at USC and glad I had something else to fall back on, also one of my best friends and fraternity brothers was one of the best running backs (recruited by everybody out of High School) and projected to be a starter at SC as well until he blew out his knee, needless to say besides a few plays he never reached his athletic potential, but because he was able to take advantage of the scholarship offered him, he is a very successful business man in the Southern California area as we speak, and I am talking, geez I am aging myself but now over 30 years ago. But the bottom line hasn't changed get that education first and foremost.

JJBro1

Oct 15, 2009
just to add a few more details, I'm 6'5 225lb and I run a 6'6 and I steal bases all the time. Everyone says I hit like a pro but my defense is the only thing that's holding me back. I originally came down here as an outfielder but after seeing how big i am plus the fact that my throwing mechanic wasn't correct they decided to put me at first base. My mom says that I can always go back to school if I don't get signed so it's not like I'm just throwing education away entirely.

Yayow

Sep 4, 2007
Not to be cruel here....but

just to add a few more details, I'm 6'5 225lb and I run a 6'6 and I steal bases all the time. Everyone says I hit like a pro but my defense is the only thing that's holding me back. I originally came down here as an outfielder but after seeing how big i am plus the fact that my throwing mechanic wasn't correct they decided to put me at first base. My mom says that I can always go back to school if I don't get signed so it's not like I'm just throwing education away entirely.

JJ I don't want to be cruel or bust your bubble, because you may have what it takes to make it (and you should hold on to that for as long as it is practical, after all it is your dream and no one should tell you when to give up on it), you definitely have good size; but who are these people who are telling you, that you hit like a pro. Are they friends and family or are they the people that get paid to make those types of evaluations? If they are the type paid to do their job regarding evaluation, how come they haven't signed you yet? Have you spoken to them and know what your particular weaknesses are besides fielding? If your only weakness is fielding and therefore you are a 4 star type of player as far as your skill set is concerned, they probably could work with you and at the very least I would have thought that they would have signed you to some type of developmental league, to work with you on your skill set and weaknesses.

Take advantage of the oppurtunity to get an honest evaluation by people that get paid to do just that, and be guided by what they say.

Again good luck.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
And where were you going to college?
Obviously not an SEC school or Pacific 10....

You have a great body, for football, basket ball or baseball, even volleyball...so make it get you an education. I do not see much brains there...all this interest in getting video games cheaply, in getting things you "want" from the states, poor baby...

You are too old for the big bonus, so get a grip and get an education...

When you get recruited, you come back and tell me to eat "it"...and I will bow to your superior wisdom and good fortune, maybe even ask you for an autograph...but check it out , like I said before,,,,it is not easy...

HB

JJBro1

Oct 15, 2009
And where were you going to college?
Obviously not an SEC school or Pacific 10....

You have a great body, for football, basket ball or baseball, even volleyball...so make it get you an education. I do not see much brains there...all this interest in getting video games cheaply, in getting things you "want" from the states, poor baby...

You are too old for the big bonus, so get a grip and get an education...

When you get recruited, you come back and tell me to eat "it"...and I will bow to your superior wisdom and good fortune, maybe even ask you for an autograph...but check it out , like I said before,,,,it is not easy...

HB
I was going to a junior college in Sacramento California, in hopes of transferring to UCLA.

rsg

Bronze
Oct 21, 2008
I was going to a junior college in Sacramento California, in hopes of transferring to UCLA.

Junior college, did you say junior collage? How can you think that you are a Pro prospect when you are not even a division 1 prospect...Please go back to school and get your education kid. You sort of answered your own question when you said that you have been down here for 4 months and nothing has happened.Try geting yourself in UCLA and if you have talent at that level then you will get noticed..And whats p with the color issue? Scouts dont care what color or race you are, if you can play then that what matters.

JJBro1

Oct 15, 2009
Junior college, did you say junior collage? How can you think that you are a Pro prospect when you are not even a division 1 prospect...Please go back to school and get your education kid. You sort of answered your own question when you said that you have been down here for 4 months and nothing has happened.Try geting yourself in UCLA and if you have talent at that level then you will get noticed..And whats p with the color issue? Scouts dont care what color or race you are, if you can play then that what matters.
i can still get drafted from junior college. The junior college that I was at is well known for baseball there have been plenty of pros that got drafted out of there.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Funny, I just remebered the conversation I had with a buscone that I coordinated to look at my nephew. He told me that the best bet for the kid would be to get him to the States because there was so much competition here in the DR many very good players are overlooked. If I remember correctly, this guy is in the Mets or Phillies organization and travels back and forth between the States.

I'm sure I can coordinate a meeting with him again or a freelance gringo here in Santiago.

El Tigre

El Tigre de DR1 - Moderator
Jan 23, 2003
I have a cousin who is supposedly good (I have never seen him play). He went down to the DR for two months this summer in hopes of getting signed...it did not happen. And that's with a direct connection to Minaya (Mets GM) through one of my aunts.

I would advice you to go back to the US and get your education and at the same time continue your passion for baseball.

Not related but along the same lines...when I was in my early 20s I was 1000000% sure I was going to be a rock star. I had a lot going with a spanish rock band I created. I wrote the lyrics and music to every song. I was the lead singer and rythm guitar player. We had a big following. After 4 years of trying I gave up and decided to dedicate myself to my career after so much advice from close friends and family members. Let me just say that I am thankful for the advice. Today I am very successful at what I do. I still play guitar when I have the time and get together with some bands for jam sessions.

Good luck with your decision and wish you all the best.

Cleef

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
Dang!~

I remember once, a few years ago, I traveled around the states with a good friend, 6/3 young, and he could hit a golf ball a country mile. We played a few really good courses,and on one of them he eagled a huge 5 par 18th hole...in front of about two dozen club members that thought he was Tiger Woods..Drive, a monster 3 iron to 25 feet and a great, curving putt...applause...HB
HB, i thought you were talking about me, then I read this guy could putt....

As to the OP, I'm sure you knew the answer to your question before you came to post about it. That being said, if you can live in the DR and play ball, while still staying in school, it could be something that helps you. I don't see why it could hurt, but DEFINITELY stay in school, jr. college or major program.

It would be hard for me to understand how you'd have any better shot at getting signed in DR; more competition, more nefarious activities etc. This only makes you a bigger question mark, than it aids you in getting any notice.

There are combines you can attend to get your name out there, and plenty of scouts go to Jr. college games (didn't Pujols come from a JC?).

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
Hello, I have a brother who has a really good shot of getting signed and is the eyes of a few people so I know how the business move in the DR.

The first thing to look at is, are you really good? are you just borderline talent, or really good stuff?? be honest with yourself on that question, because in the States it is easier for you to get a college scholarship if you are just a borderline talent. But if you are the real deal, the odds are that you will get more exposure and more money down there in the DR. Keep in mind that in the US you will have to be subjected to the draft, while in the DR you are a free agent (assuming you have Dominican Citizenship too, if you are a US-born citizen but your father is Dominican, then you can apply for the Dominican passport and be a dual citizen).

I say give it a shot for a couple of months, if it doesn't work out then come back and try to get an scholarship in any college, you will get your degree for free while you are still honing your playing skill and can be drafted in the future.

Best of lucks.

Last edited:

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006

You have the raw talent by what you are saying here, stay till January, give it a shot, then if anything doesn't happen go back to the US and get that scholarship. But the risk is worth taking, remember to get your Dominican passport.