To practice law in the DR, do you have to be a Dominican born there?

live_for_life

Mar 4, 2007
To practice law in the DR, do you have to be a Dominican born there or have Dominican parents? I am sure you probably will need a law degree (maestria en derecho constitutional) from a Dominican University like UNIBE or UASD.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
To practice law in the DR, do you have to be a Dominican born there or have Dominican parents? I am sure you probably will need a law degree (maestria en derecho constitutional) from a Dominican University like UNIBE or UASD.

I want to practice plastic suregry in the Dominican Republic so I hope I can do my residency program in the DR. I will look PUCMM in Santiago up on the internet.

You gave up on medical school already?

tk toronto

Sep 7, 2006
There's a post somewhere on this site. You do have to be born in the DR to practice law. I had looked because I used to want to be a lawyer and happened to see that info a year or two ago. Search the forums, it's there somewhere.

Oct 13, 2003
instagram.com
There's a post somewhere on this site. You do have to be born in the DR to practice law. I had looked because I used to want to be a lawyer and happened to see that info a year or two ago. Search the forums, it's there somewhere.

Not the info I got from a few Santiago and North Coast laywers when the topic came up in casual conversation... of course it might depend on the definition of to 'practice law'.

pedrochemical

Silver
Aug 22, 2008

I have an Argentinian friend who recently qualified as a lawyer. So you do not have to be born here from what I have seen.

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
As a US citizen fluent in English, would I make more dominican money per month teaching english or working in a call center in santo domingo. I assume that the call centers in santo domingo need English speakers. I am not yet fully bilingual in both English and Spanish. Or can I work both jobs? Do you know any call centers in santo domingo that are hiring for English only speakers?
Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message Quick reply to this message

or maybe this little beauty from 2007

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
NO. You no longer have to be Dominican to practice law in the Dominican Republic.
I know it is stupid, but a change made by Jorge Blanco in 1984 when the Dominical College of Lawyers was formed said that for the purposes of the college anyone graduated from a Dominican university with a law degree was a lawyer or anyone from a country that recognized Dominican law....This has been (mis) interpreted by the Supreme Court to mean that anyone who gratdates with a law degree is entitled to practice law inthe DR.

The original was from back inthe 1920s is way toughter and much different.

I think this is a case that really should be put before the Supreme Court...

HB

Sep 22, 2009
So, iow, there is no licensure process? Hmmmm.

Wait a minute, let me hang my Photoshop degree from Stanford on the wall!

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
That won't work Rey: It has to be from a country that has reciprocal agreements whereby Dominican lawyers can practice in their countries also!!! DR lawyers cannot practice in the US (Unless they can pass the bar!!)

HB

Black Dog

Bronze
May 29, 2009

Not much difference between lawyers and plastic surgeons really! They both charge a fortune and can both wipe the smile off your face!! LOL
Just a joke, no offence to either of these professions ;)

Sep 22, 2009
That won't work Rey: It has to be from a country that has reciprocal agreements whereby Dominican lawyers can practice in their countries also!!! DR lawyers cannot practice in the US (Unless they can pass the bar!!)

HB

Well there goes 7 hours of design work. Doah!!!

live_for_life

Mar 4, 2007
Not much difference between lawyers and plastic surgeons really! They both charge a fortune and can both wipe the smile off your face!!

That is funny! I like people with a sense of humor. I could just do boob jobs in Bevery Hills, California and make a fortune. I guess I might loose my fascination with those lovely things.

live_for_life

Mar 4, 2007

No, I have not given up on medical school. My dermatologist here in the USA has a medical degree and a law degree. But, he sometimes testifies in court on malpractice lawsuits. In general, I find that lawyers benefit from the suffering of others. So, medicine may be the better route for me. No one knows their true destinaton or stoppage point in life. Uncertaintly is one guarantee in life any man or woman can count on.

N

nuguynyc

No, I have not given up on medical school. My dermatologist here in the USA has a medical degree and a law degree. But, he sometimes testifies in court on malpractice lawsuits. In general, I find that lawyers benefit from the suffering of others. So, medicine may be the better route for me. No one knows their true destinaton or stoppage point in life. Uncertaintly is one guarantee in life any man or woman can count on.

I was a Beverly Hills plastic surgeon. But that was long ago. I decided to give it all up and open my practice in Dajabon, where I can add some real value.

pyratt

Bronze
Jan 14, 2007
Engrish teacher, med skool, law, expert witness....I swear this guy was known in another life as Suns n Buns and almost married a chicken farmers daughter a couple years ago....

rsg

Bronze
Oct 21, 2008

HB

Thats why there are so many Lawyers in the DR, NO BAR EXAM..

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
I have an Argentinian friend who recently qualified as a lawyer. So you do not have to be born here from what I have seen.

If you're talking about Luis, I would trust him more than a few of the lawyers in this town.

Last edited: