Boost Phones

audboogie

Jul 4, 2004
My understanding is that Boost mobile phones are owened by sprint and that you can purchase a boost phone in US and a plan for $50 pluse $10 for international plan and with that you will be able to call DR unlimited and text unlimited and walkie talkie unlimited. Internet is separate. I'm assuming to any DR home phone or cell phone.

If a person in the DR had a boost phone and I called it i am assuming talk and text would be included for both of us. (total phone bill for 2 boost cell phones with this plan would be $120)

question is does anyone have or use this phone/service? If so could I get feedback on quality of calls both when calling US and when calling DR?

they claim no contracts, no cancellation fee's, etc...and i am currently paying Sprint this much money for both our phones with restrictions on daytime minutes and without the ability to call DR unless i want to pay $1 a min. So i have to buy phone cards on top of this. It seems that boost would be the way to go if i want to save money.

VicDamone

Nov 28, 2009
The information that you received is incorrect. I have Boost Mobile and even with their International Service there is a per text fee for sms messages and a per minute fee for calls to the Dominican Republic from the U.S. In addition, the phone will not work (roam or anything else) in the Dominican Republic. To make matters worse, you will not receive many text messages that are sent to you and the people that you are sending them too frequently don't receive them (this is not just to the d.r.---it also happens with text-to-text in the U.S.). The phone service is poor and pretty much designed to frustrate you so that you go to the "normal" cell phone service providers instead of the discount service that they offer.

I have elected to use a new Android phone (available through Sprint, Verizon, T-Mobile, and AT&T) and downloaded an app that allows me to send text messages for a set fee. You can also download another app that allows you to call internationally for a certain fee. Many U.S. companies charge around $2.00 USD per minute to call a Dominican Cell phone. I assume that the I-phone probably offers applications that are similar but I am not up-to-date on their apps.

Hope this helps.