Cell rate protest

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
From Front page of DR1
Consumer protest at high cell rates
Using e-mail and social media campaigns, consumer groups are seeking to mobilize nationwide support for a protest aimed at cell phone providers Claro (Codetel), Orange, Tricom and Viva for the high rates they charge consumers in the DR.
The case presented is that in the US you can get 2,000 free minutes for only US$52.20. This is beyond what the normal user can talk in a month. The note says that in the DR, the usage of those minutes would cost RD$7,000 (around US$194). The message is that the US has low cell phone costs because consumers protested by not using the service.

Cell phone service providers, companies. Cigular, T-Mobile, Sprint PCS, Verizon Wireless | PhoneDog good link for compares in the US.

Have no idea of plan rates here in the DR as I use Prepaid Orange, I also when in the US use prepaid T-mobile. plan rates are also determined by where in the USA you live, not sure where they are finding the $52 per month but in some areas thats high. international rates from the US to here are very high. From here to the US in most cases the same as national. And in most cases these low plan rates are for a minimum of 2 year contract, with any upgrades generating a new contract. don't know if that this the same here.

Their the idea that not using the service caused the lower prices is incorrect. The lower pricing was a result of the companies competing for a customer base, and regulation. Mobil service is much cheaper for the companies than traditional wireline.

Prepaid rates are much cheaper here than they are there, and you don't pay for received call air time. If they do start charging for received call air time that will at least cut down on the beeper calls (one ring means call me back I don't have minutes). Prepaid accounts for some where in the vicinity of 80% of mobil usage here in the DR.

They also need to look at the amount of taxes charged. Here you are paying 16% ITBI, 10% service, and in some cases an additional 2% tax for phone service. These are not charges of the phone company's they are only the collection agency. Most areas of the USA do not have such ridicules tax rates yet.

Last edited:

el forastero

Bronze
Oct 25, 2009
Sorry, but they can't lower the cell phone rates in the DR. The politicians must be able to continue "growing" the GNP so that the DR looks good internationally (after all, telephone service accounts for 20%+ growth to counteract the drops in the rest of the economy).

Feb 7, 2007
There are $49.95 unlimited cell phone plans in the USA. Virgin Mobile, Boost, etc. Now T-Mobile started selling unlimited minutes plan for $59.95 per month.

The rates in the USA are much cheaper than in the DR. But in the DR the cellphone rates are cheaper than in most of EU, taxes included.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
This is probably not protest-related, but the phones are really playing up today.

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
I have unlimited minutes and data paying US$45.00 a month, no contract, nationwide calls available and roaming in the US also available at no more cost using Boost Mobile in Nevada. Once I get ahold of a Blackberry I may change to T-Mobile and see how they work out.

The biggest problem about the DR tariffs is the taxes, in the DR you have to pay 28% over the original bill which amounts to a lot if your bill is over RD$2,000.00.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
at least DR does not have completely f****d up system where you pay for incoming calls.
to put things into perspective - when i was in poland miesposo wanted to call (from my local mobile) his friends in spain thinking that charges will be lower than in DR (shorter distance). with 5 dollars on the card he could not even dial the number because of "incuficient funds".
a call form poland to DR from regular land line with a plan that my parents have costs about 6 dollars a minute. plus taxes.