Advice sought re finding best coral

nanacaarol

Dec 2, 2009
Hello, I am a 69-year old woman from England, and my passion is snorkelling on coral. I have never been to the DR but I have been to Martinique, Guadeloupe, Bequia , Cuba and Antigua and found good coral in all of them
I would be grateful if anyone could advise me on the best resort to access coral from the beach, and if there are many days when snorkelling is impossible due to waves and wind.
I would also like to hire a car locally to see as much of the country as possble. I usually go for half board or all inclusive and I am not interested in night life or entertainment. After a hard day's snorkelling, I just want to have dinner and retire to my room with a book, or cable TV.
I have a limited budget so it would probably have to be a 3 star resort.
I speak good French but only a little Spanish, but I usually find I can communicate one way or another and I had problems in Cuba.
I was hoping to take my holiday in March - would that be a good month as far as the weather is concerned? I am more interested in sea temperature than surface temperature - anything over 26 Celsius would be lovely.
Many thanks.
Carol

PrincessaDR

Nov 4, 2009
You are likely to find the snorkelling in most areas of this country less then acceptable. The coral has been mostly destroyed by both locals and tourists with no regard for the fragile state of the coral.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I think you would enjoy the reefs out around Punta Rucia. This is on the North Shore to the west of Puerto Plata. There are a couple of rustic places to stay and you get out early (just as the sun comes up...you can even hire a guy and a boat to take you out...and you can snorkle 7 or 8 coral reefs that are in fair condition.../ I have to be honest and tell you I have not been out in a while, but I used to go out all the time.

The wind comes up around 9:30 so it will blow you back to the beach...

If you are an experienced and fairly good swimmer you do not need a boat...and there are no currents to speak of, little tides.

Montecristi also offers good reefs.

HB