Samana Questions

roothy

Dec 9, 2009
Hi. I'm going to be one of the tourists descending on Samana for a day and have a few questions:

Is there a map of the city of Samana anywhere on the internet?

Where do cruise ships dock, or tender to? Is there much right around there in terms of food, markets, internet access, things to photograph, etc.?

Where is the market in Samana in relationship to where the cruise ships come?

I'm not much of a shopper, but I'm sure some folks on the ship are, so...where is the shopping center I saw pictured somewhere?

Where do the guagua's go? I don't suppose there's a web site or schedule for those, right?

Any help you can give me would really be appreciated. I know Samana is not very developed (which is probably a good thing in many respects!!!) so I'm having trouble getting a good handle on what there is to do there for just one day! Thanks much!

toursamanawithterry

Jan 30, 2009
Is there a map of the city of Samana anywhere on the internet?

Google Samana and you may find one but the cruise line will give you a town map when you are ready to tender over to town.

Where do cruise ships dock, or tender to? Is there much right around there in terms of food, markets, internet access, things to photograph, etc.?

You will tender into the dock at the east end of town and everything that you might want to do is on the other side of town. You can walk to everything in 15 min or take a $10 moto rickshaw and be there in 3 min. There is a market at the far west end of town where the boulevard ends. It is inside of a building and not open air. There is a restaurant called Rinconcito View, open on cruise ship days and they have free Wi-Fi and sometimes a computer that you can use. There are many opportunities for awesome pictures in the bay and of the bridge to nowhere. There are plenty of places to eat in town also.

Where is the market in Samana in relationship to where the cruise ships come?

See last response.

I'm not much of a shopper, but I'm sure some folks on the ship are, so...where is the shopping center I saw pictured somewhere?

That shopping center is halfway down the boardwalk from the dock. Right alongside the water. The flea market anyway. There is a strip mall that belongs to the hotel which is at the end of the boardwalk. Multicolored colonial looking strip mall. Very neat looking place.

Where do the guagua's go? I don't suppose there's a web site or schedule for those, right?

No website that I know of. You get them at the market and they go to the neighboring towns. I don't recommend them. I would recommend making arrangements for some sort of excursion to the beautiful natural areas that we have all around Samana. Town is dirty so you have to accept that. Our beaches are out of this world and we have many waterfalls.

Any help you can give me would really be appreciated. I know Samana is not very developed (which is probably a good thing in many respects!!!) so I'm having trouble getting a good handle on what there is to do there for just one day! Thanks much!s

roothy

Dec 9, 2009
Thank you, Terry. This is helpful. I will probably just take a ship's excursion to El Limon (the mules!), since Oceania gave us some "free" money to spend on excursions, liquor, spa, etc. and Samana sounded like a good place to use it rather than trying to fend for ourselves. However, I also like to snoop around the port, and so does my husband (who's not up for a jarring mule ride, I'm afraid!!) so I was trying to determine if there's anything much of interest right in the town. I'm sure some people will just stay on the ship there, but that seems a real shame, as I know the DR is beautiful.

I don't know if you're allowed to "go commercial" on this board, but just wanted to say that I'm aware that you offer tours, and I may be interested in one if the day (Jan. 11) and price are ok. My email address is howardruthalliejoey@gmail.com, so if you get an email from me (Ruth) it's not spam!

Thanks for the help. I like to research as much in advance as I can before I get to a place.
Ruth

toursamanawithterry

Jan 30, 2009
I go to the boards to help people enjoy Samana. It is hard to find good info even on the net. It's to my advantage that everyone enjoy Samana to the fullest but at the same time I also enjoy helping people.

When I came here to live 7 years ago I didn't just know it all. I had many people who helped me figure it all out. I think it's only fair that I do the same for others regardless of whether or not there is monetary gain for me.

jonvelas

Jan 29, 2010
gosamana-dominicanrepublic.com
Map Town of Samana - Samana has now a good informative website online

Time has past since 2009, and things have improved.

Now the Town of Samana (sometimes called Samana City) has a very nice website online and has a very detailled Map of the whole town, the Malecon and even the local public beach.

You will find all the information you need about wifi, restaurants, bars, small hotels, excursions, markets and more

Go Samana | Dominican Republic - The village of Samana

Enjoy our beautiful paradise !
;) Jon