Santiago bypass

El Tigre

El Tigre de DR1 - Moderator
Jan 23, 2003
Santiago needs its highway

The president of the Chamber of Commerce of Santiago is urging the government to complete the Avenida Circunvalacion Norte, the bypass that will enable travelers to the north to avoid driving through the city center. Oliverio Espaillat called for the government to be fairer in its investments in Santiago. He says that the 24km bypass is estimated to cost RD$4 billion. He said that Santiago generates 16% of the Gross Domestic Product but receives less than 2% of the public infrastructure works carried out nationwide.
He said that several major works in the recent past have been carried out by the private sector. He mentioned the Santiago international airport, its hospital and its cultural center (Centro Leon).

+++

Did this ever start that they are asking for the completion of this project? I wasn't aware this was or had been worked on in the past.

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006
Wow this would be a great idea, avoiding going through the city would be beneficial to all. I hope they make this a reality.

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
Leonel is waiting next campain period gets closer this way he some votes & fool the people again and again.

Jj

viajar

Feb 19, 2009
I read somewhere that the highway was started and then abandoned but I have not seen any indication of where it is. I've looked for it flying in to Santiago but could not tell where it was, so it must be grown over. I cannot imagine a highway around Santiago, no more potholes, no more windshield washes, no roundabout, and no adventures for first time travelers following the highway signs to Puerto Plata. I think while they are at it they should extend the Santo Domingo-Santiago train to Puerto Plata and all the way to the airport, now that would be progress.

bachata

Aug 18, 2007
The higway is only eight minutes from the airport heading to Santiago on Autopista Duarte , this way will conect with Av. Hispano Americana.

JJ

El Tigre

El Tigre de DR1 - Moderator
Jan 23, 2003
Does anyone have an update on this? Anyone with knowledge :)

I'd love to see a google earth image of this.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Not much happening. I heard that one construction company was left with RD$800 million inthe wind....just typical of government --this and any other--contracts.

HB

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
Theyve been working for a couple of months on something in Tamboril and i think also in Licey...i believe that is part of the bypass that was started years ago...

bachata

Aug 18, 2007
BYPASS.jpg

See the biggest road going up at a slight angle? The kind of white one? That's it.

If you look at it in google maps, as you look further north on the image, you can see it curve around to the left.

I just noticed now, that it's also identified with a slightly yellowish line further north, when it's running east to west.

Once you see it, you'll wonder how you missed it.
Don't make me get homesick again!!! In this pic. I can see the roof of the house where I lived during the last years in DR.
can you see the red cross by Villa Maria? just across the st. is where it's.

JJ

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
It was just published in "Dominican Tomorrow" that the road would be complete ma?ana.